Sponsored

PPF and Ceramic Coating Pricing

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
So my local ceremic pro dealer is selling ceremic pro silver for $980, but then I went down the rabbit hole and asked about PPF. They offered Xpel PPF on the front end, plus Xpel fusion ceramic coating for $2500. This seems high, but I also have no idea how to price things anymore or whether itā€™s worth the cost.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I have had mixed emotions on PPF. I think I will get it on the front hood band and front fender about 4 inches back. By the time a person spends that much, u wonder how much to just repaint a part if its chipped. I mean it's supposed to keep that stuff from happening. But a bad enough rock will get through it and then u are still taking the film off u paid to put on, then fixing the paint, and then having to pay to put it on again. I know a gal that happened to on the hood of her 911 Porsche and the film had been on a few years. They went to take it off and actually had to wet sand the adhesive off in spots, so they did the whole hood to make it look even. Then there go some mils of clear coat. Then to repaint the spot, then pay to put film back on. I have had it so many times and even if the edges are wrapped, it seems some place is always lifting a bit from an edge. I have never had a car done where there isn't a little dirt spec or some type of contamination between the film and the paint. White cars tend to show the dirty edges. I think in honesty it has its place. But I will not go hog wild again. Just put it where I think it would do the most good. As far as the ceramic. I bought some and will try it at home. Body shop guys told me that if I ever needed paint work, they have to know where that the ceramic is on the car so they can fix the car proper. I think he said it would have to be wet sanded, thats how well it bonds. If thats the case you are losing clear coat. I sometimes wonder if just a little film and some hand applied wax is about as good and cheap as anything without the problems. Oh, and a $20.00 paint pen!

Last edited:

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I had full PPF done on my 2 door, unpainted fender flares and hardtop. Cost me a little over $3k in 2020. Worth every penny IMO.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
When the clear bra vinyl 1st came out I got my wifeā€™s subaru STI done when it was new and my outback done when it was new. After a few years both cars accumulated their fair share of little scratches, nicks, chips, and dingsā€¦the clear bra yellowed a little over time and picked up a dark outline where dirt get in the edge. I think they are $600 each, but that was a few years ago.

now when I buy something new, I donā€™t worry about the ceramic coatings and the clear bras and all that. Instead I spend the money on accessories or other fun things for the vehicle.

$2,500 for the full package could get you all kinds of cool stuff for your jeep. I would probably do that if I were you.

When I get a new car I do as good a job giving a good wash and a really good wax. Then I wash it from time to time when it seems to need it and I wax it once a year or so. That seems to work pretty good for me.

with my money I would steer clear of a special ceramic coating or some kind of clear bra. Buy something fun instead.

stetson

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
I just got quoted 5300 for my 2 door today.

10 year warranty from a reputable place in town.

Yowzersssss

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager

Yowzersssss
wow! Big bucks! I suggest you wash and wax it yourself and spend the $5,300 on fun/cool accessoriesā€¦.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Agreed at that price. I mean hell, for $5300 you could repaint the Jeep.
Haha! No joke! Pick any special edition color like tuscadero or whatever and paint it up.

my person issue with spending a bunch of money on special protectant films or ceramic coatings is i off road, I leave it outside in the rain and the snow and the sun, I have dogs and kids inside, my stuff gets well used.

at my House the money would be better spent on something else.

i get it, some people treasure their jeeps and would be upset if it had the slightest scratch or blemish. For those people, the protectants and films and all that is probably a good investment.

for me, I will grab a lift kit and some accessories or maybe a dirt bike

Sponsored

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired

Yowzersssss
Yes than when u go to trade it you wont get a dime back on it. Unless it was a private sale and the other person thought it was worth it. But you know how that goes. Think of how much a little paint pen will save a guy or gal lol. If it were a super car, then maybe. I am not bashing on anyone wanting the big dollar jobs. Each individual knows what works for them.

Last edited:

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
So Iā€™ve done two cars in ppf. Not the Jeep but my Audi and Volvo. To do the whole front just ppf was 2000. Thatā€™s mirrors hood front bumper and front fenders. The half hoods and fenders just look terrible imo when they get dusty. Xpel has a 10 year warranty, and Iā€™ve not seen a rock go through the film. Ceramic coating your whole vehicle is great if you take care of it. We just run the cars through the Costco wash and dry it off. No marks no scratches. I didnā€™t do the Jeep because of off roading in Arizona. Lots of shrubs all over grown. And Iā€™ve already gotten some deep scratches that ppf would have probably got caught on. Depending on who does the coating, youā€™ll also get a 5-10 year warranty.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
To be honest, I had a black truck I just traded off. No protection or coatings on it ever, other than the quickie stuff the car wash spit out. I ran it I will bet 50 times over the last 2 years in a brush type car wash. The car wash chain is IQ car wash. Not one scratch anywhere on it. Not even micro scratches. I detail at home my own stuff for the most part and thought things are different now a days. The brushes are like a flat rubber blade. The older type brushes in the wash bays I remember had the plastic like weed whipper bristles and they were horrid on black. So its nice to know the car washes have come a long ways. The nice thing about the Jeeps is if a fender ever needed paint, they come off easy and wouldn't cost much to repair. Everything on the Jeep is pretty much sectioned off to come apart easy. Heck a new painted front grill in Satin from Mopar parts was like slightly over 300.00

Last edited:

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Just did our X3M. Hood, fenders, grill, headlights, mirrors and door edges. $2,500. Told me it would have been $7K for the whole car.
Torn on doing the Jeep though, give the abuse from brush and what not on the back roads

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So my local ceremic pro dealer is selling ceremic pro silver for $980, but then I went down the rabbit hole and asked about PPF. They offered Xpel PPF on the front end, plus Xpel fusion ceramic coating for $2500. This seems high, but I also have no idea how to price things anymore or whether itā€™s worth the cost.

Thoughts?
$2500 aint bad if coverage is full grille, 3/8 up hood, 1/4 fenders, windshield surround, tear-drop cowls, headlamps, fogs.

btw, to do the lamps and grill correctly, you have to disassemble.

ive done two jeeps like this, because the main driver is an old dude, who drives a lot of highway miles, and does want to spend hours washing a jeep.

if they were my jeepsā€¦. Id be in debate. Jeep pain isnt bad (quite forgiving soft pain actually), but the corrosion issues, makes ya wonder why bother even washing the damn thing, itā€™s gonna rust anyway.
Sponsored