Ceramic coating pros and cons

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I dunno, it's a Jeep? I hand apply some Meguiar's ceramic hybrid stuff couple times a year and it looks great. Takes me less than an hour and costs a few bucks an application. Personally I would never pay a grand for some wax, no matter how good it is - but that's just me.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The Xpel heals scratches in the heat. Just a basic clear wrap will not self heal. There’s different types of xpel you can apply. You can get the Jeep fully wrapped in it (which I know someone who has done that) and then others just do a bra on it.
There are also some other brands that have something similar like 3m PPP

There are no clear wraps they all use the self healing technology. What separated them is quality and warranty. One other factor for example xpel leaves an orange peel finish whereas 3M is the smoothest of the bunch. You cannot tell there is a PPF wrap on my black wrangler unless you look really close for the edges.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What about vinyl wrapping your JL?
Vinyl Wraps easily scratch not good for the trails, Additionally they only have about 4-6 year life before significant fading and deterioration sets in. Whereas 3M and Xpel are 10 years plus. Now with all this discussion about ceramic a good use for it is to use it on top of your Paint protection film.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
There are no clear wraps they all use the self healing technology. What separated them is quality and warranty. One other factor for example xpel leaves an orange peel finish whereas 3M is the smoothest of the bunch. You cannot tell there is a PPF wrap on my black wrangler unless you look really close for the edges.
I’d heard xpel had fixed the “orange peel finish”? Could be wrong it’s been a bit since I looked into these.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’d heard xpel had fixed the “orange peel finish”? Could be wrong it’s been a bit since I looked into these.
While it has been two years since I wrapped my 2018 wrangler and saw the two side by side. Here in the PNW there have been a slew of installers dropping Xpel and moving to 3M, likely for several reasons. Xpel who was once the majority is now the minority in the NW region, while they claim quality comparisons as in part reason, my guess it is also profit driven decision. I have a new Wrangler 4xe arriving in about 2-weeks I am sticking with 3m also there are no Xpel installers left near me these days. I am not suggesting Xpel is a bad product they have just always been 2 steps behind 3M in quality, finish and warranty.

Now I know that Xpel trolls these forums and I have been the leading PPF voice here, now if Xpel want to prove me wrong and install Xpel on my new wrangler to provide a side by side with my 2018 with 3M I would gladly accept that offer. Xpel you listening???

Sponsored

K9-01

First Name
Chantelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Dura-Dressing Hyrdo-Phobia Ceramic Coating

When I first bought my Jeep back in September, I kept seeing ads for this company for their tire coating. I thought what the hell and bought it. Best purchase I've made because it makes your tires look amazing without the greasy feel and it doesn't sling all over your vehicle. I went ahead and bought their ceramic coating and am very happy with it. They make all different kinds and if you have a question, the owner of the company personally responds to you, which I appreciate. I've got a whole tub full of his products for my Jeep and will be a returning customer when it runs out eventually.

I say do it yourself and save some cash.

jsotis21

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2023 GMC Yukon XL
While it has been two years since I wrapped my 2018 wrangler and saw the two side by side. Here in the PNW there have been a slew of installers dropping Xpel and moving to 3M, likely for several reasons. Xpel who was once the majority is now the minority in the NW region, while they claim quality comparisons as in part reason, my guess it is also profit driven decision. I have a new Wrangler 4xe arriving in about 2-weeks I am sticking with 3m also there are no Xpel installers left near me these days. I am not suggesting Xpel is a bad product they have just always been 2 steps behind 3M in quality, finish and warranty.

Now I know that Xpel trolls these forums and I have been the leading PPF voice here, now if Xpel want to prove me wrong and install Xpel on my new wrangler to provide a side by side with my 2018 with 3M I would gladly accept that offer. Xpel you listening???
Saw your post about this on the 4xe fans site on Facebook too. I've got a Sting Gray coming next week and was curious if you do a full wrap, front/hood, front clip, or .... Gathering 3M PPF quotes now, but was also curious about what $$ to expect here in Atlanta.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Saw your post about this on the 4xe fans site on Facebook too. I've got a Sting Gray coming next week and was curious if you do a full wrap, front/hood, front clip, or .... Gathering 3M PPF quotes now, but was also curious about what $$ to expect here in Atlanta.
Hey Jeff, so the wrap I have don is Hood, All 4 fenders (rear fenders is only the front portion) I do all 4 quarter panels and all 4 doors but on the doors I do from the window down. As for cost. When I did my 2018 I Paid $1600 and now I am paying $2600 (they way under priced me in 2018). I hear about others getting quotes as high ay $4500. Between $2500 and $3000 is fair cost for this since there is no prep work with a new vehicle. Some say that is an expensive option just to protect the paint, frankly it is an valued option that adds vales to the Jeep. These PPF wraps have a 10 year warranty, your Wrangler will continue to look like new for years which adds resale value. For me the PPF besides always looking like new is it is so easy to maintain. My wrangler with all the mods has morphed into a show piece aft $15K in mods, The PPF just makes the Paint POP. Plus with the PPF I simply do not worry about scratching of the paint. I should note I do not do the grill or the tail gate. This picture was 12 miles of dusty dirt road on a 90 degree day and the dirt simply does not stick like paint when I pair the PPF and Sealer with Ceramic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coating pros and cons Jeep CEll tower 1

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
I Xpel’d the hinges (just the cylinder part) so far no stone chips!

Eater8

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited diesel.
I Xpel’d the hinges (just the cylinder part) so far no stone chips!
I did the same along with the sill areas on all 4 doors.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Relative pricing between 3M and Xpel? Looking to do something for my new JLR (2dr), probably grill, partial hood, fenders, hinges. Wrapping the entire vehicle seems overkill and expensive. Thoughts?
Sponsored