Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
You can clearly see he has different or damaged spring perches in the photos I put up earlier causing excessive bowing. Also, maybe it’s just something different with the newer mopar lift, but mine came with brand new front and rear sway bar links. Both front and rear old ones were thrown out.

And I completely agree with you on doing the lift yourself. I don’t trust anyone with my stuff. Some of the things “professionals” will tell you and do are just flat out unbelievable sometimes.
I agree with you but enough bowing to make the spring come in contact with the front sway bar links? Maybe the spring wasn't seated properly up above as well during the install. Maybe a combination of the spring perch below and how they seated with the upper spring isolator. Again, I'll have to crawl under my jeep tomorrow and get another look at everything and the clearances of the different components.
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Did you install an adjustable track bar? If you shifted (no track bar) and your spring isolator pads have collapsed this could have magnified the problem/shift contacting springs?

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Did you install an adjustable track bar? If you shifted (no track bar) and your spring isolator pads have collapsed this could have magnified the problem/shift contacting springs?
Never installed an adjustable track bar, so that could definitely be contributing to the shift.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
With the amount of money we are all spending $250 is pretty cheap expense.... JKS makes a Beefy bar (inexpensive), SteerSmarts is also a good choice.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Never installed an adjustable track bar, so that could definitely be contributing to the shift.
Did you measure to see if you got close to or above 3 inches of lift, if so you’ll need to get front and rear adjustable track bars to center your axles. Easy to see , just measure from spring housing out to outside edge of your tire, see if both sides measures the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you measure to see if you got close to or above 3 inches of lift, if so you’ll need to get front and rear adjustable track bars to center your axles. Easy to see , just measure from spring housing out to outside edge of your tire, see if both sides measures the same.
I know that the mopar lift nets closer to 3 inches of lift on a Sport. We definitely got more than 2 inches out of it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know that the mopar lift nets closer to 3 inches of lift on a Sport. We definitely got more than 2 inches out of it.
If you’re around 3 inches you’ll also need to get front adjustable lower control arms, so you can increase your castor, around 6 degrees is the sweet spot. The ones that come with kit, are only a quarter inch longer than stock ones. I would drive it for a 100 miles or so first after you get your spring issue resolved and see how it drives. If you feel it wandering, or your having to constantly steer back and forth to keep it straight then you’ll know you need to increase castor.

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
So about 8 months ago, we decided to go with the Mopar 2 inch lift on our JLU Sport. The kit came with the updated correction pads, but since day one, we've had issues with the spring rubbing against the driver-side sway bar link (see the photo below):

20190126_151012.jpg

Now, however, it seems that we're having a different issue. Specifically, while driving around with the Jeep and turning the wheels fully driver-side, we hear some sort of grinding (like metal on metal) sound. This only happens when the wheels are fully turned driver, and the Jeep is in motion. Wanting to investigate a bit, I asked my wife to record a video of the Jeep while stationary and with the wheels being fully turned. Now this is our first ever Jeep, and we wouldn't even pretend to have much experience or knowledge about it (trying to learn more every day), but it looks to me like the lower part of the same sway bar link is rubbing against the tie rod at full turn. I uploaded a video for reference:

From this photo, it looks like there's a rubbing mark where the link meets the tie rod:

20190126_133702-01.jpeg

unless I am mistaken, someone turned the main steering bar around 180, just loosen and turn back pointing towards the front and re-toe

Has anyone with the Mopar lift had this happen to them? I'm thinking about bring it back to my mechanic, but this definitely doesn't seem normal.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Really appreciate all the help!

There's a definite bow in the spring, at least three driver's side one. The funny thing is that the passenger side hasn't been giving me any issues at all. Also, it was a while ago, but if I remember correctly, the kit came with replacements for both the front and rear links.

I'll try to take more photos later today of both sides and will double check the tags on the springs.
What's the latest with your lift issue? Did you figure out the problem yet. I did crawl under the front end of my Jeep and neither sway bar link comes in contact with the front springs. There is plenty of clearance on the passenger side and at least an inch of clearance, maybe a little more on the driver's side. And this was with the stock front track bar. I have since installed a new front adjustable track bar.

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the latest with your lift issue? Did you figure out the problem yet. I did crawl under the front end of my Jeep and neither sway bar link comes in contact with the front springs. There is plenty of clearance on the passenger side and at least an inch of clearance, maybe a little more on the driver's side. And this was with the stock front track bar. I have since installed a new front adjustable track bar.
I put in an order for the RK correction pads. Already spoke with the mechanic, he said that he's definitely not seen this in the Mopar lifts he's installed to date. I plan on getting them installed next week, and then go from there. At the very least, it should become obvious whether or not it's an issue with the collapsed pads.

I'll post an update once those RK correction pads are in.

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
It definitely looks like the pads are on the wrong side. Was just reading through one of the threads below you’d and it looks like the passenger side pad is on your drivers side.

And as far as the tie rod hitting the sway bar link, the link looks a bit loose. Happens from time to time those loosening up, you’ll get a clicking noise over small bumps usually
Try fighting it up and see if it sits more flush to the axle tab

EE487B56-6767-469C-9297-C83483BADECB.jpeg

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It definitely looks like the pads are on the wrong side. Was just reading through one of the threads below you’d and it looks like the passenger side pad is on your drivers side.

And as far as the tie rod hitting the sway bar link, the link looks a bit loose. Happens from time to time those loosening up, you’ll get a clicking noise over small bumps usually
Try fighting it up and see if it sits more flush to the axle tab

EE487B56-6767-469C-9297-C83483BADECB.jpeg
The top part of the link was extremely loose at one point. I did tighten it up about two weeks ago, and if anything it made the rubbing worse. I wonder if it came loose because of the constant rubbing?

pdavey168

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Grey, 2020 JT Launch Edition Bright White, 2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
CEO offroadparts.com
Something is up with your isolator. I just installed mine today and mine looks much thicker than yours. Below is a pic of mine from the same angle as yours. Maybe yours is the old style, crushed, or damaged somehow.

6D45BC67-DBCD-4ABA-84C7-97BA749DAA75.jpeg
Hello there, do you have the part number for the new perch you installed?

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to update everyone following this issue. I had the RK correction pads installed, and they fixed my issues half-way. Whereas before the upper part of the link was making contact with the spring, I can now fit my fingers between them as the bow in my springs has been reduced.

However, I'm still having the issue where the tie rod is contacting the lower end of the link. This only happens at full wheel turn (and on the driver side), and the rubbing is pretty subtle. It makes a rubbing sound (metal against metal) when I make a full turn.

My mechanic suggested that I could have slightly bent the tie rod on a recent wheeling trip. Although he's not too worried about the issue, his only suggestion was swapping out the tie rod.

To other people that have the Mopar lift, how close does your link come to the tie rod at full turn?

20190217_154659.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am not mechanically inclined so take with a grain of salt....... someone posted here that the springs are “left and right” .... you have a tag on one of them..... it has the part number...... is it on the correct side?
Sponsored