Sponsored

Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
I had the dealer install a 2" Mopar lift on my 2023 JLUR diesel. I was aware of the bowed spring issue and checked for it when I picked it up... sure enough the passenger side was bowed pretty bad and the tie rod was real close, but not rubbing.... the driver side was bowed, but not as bad and the tie rod had good clearance. I ordered the RK correction pads and installed them and that made the problem worse. Then I noticed the dealer installed the front springs on the wrong sides in the front, so I swapped those. That did not fix the problem.

I know the mopar lift manual says the springs should bow outward, but these are bowing forward and backward. Should I try putting the Mopar pads back under the coils, now that they are an the correct sides? Or does the swaybar and/or tie rod need to be adjusted? Or did I get bad coil springs.

The only two parts that I added (beside the mopar kit) was the RK coil correction pads and the AEV stamped geometry correction brackets.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223624599

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223604892

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223556765

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223549886

DRIVER SIDE:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223530325

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223520429

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223433517
Sponsored

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why didn't you just go back to them and have them figure it out? You paid for it. Other than that, I don't have an answer.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the dealer install a 2" Mopar lift on my 2023 JLUR diesel. I was aware of the bowed spring issue and checked for it when I picked it up... sure enough the passenger side was bowed pretty bad and the tie rod was real close, but not rubbing.... the driver side was bowed, but not as bad and the tie rod had good clearance. I ordered the RK correction pads and installed them and that made the problem worse. Then I noticed the dealer installed the front springs on the wrong sides in the front, so I swapped those. That did not fix the problem.

I know the mopar lift manual says the springs should bow outward, but these are bowing forward and backward. Should I try putting the Mopar pads back under the coils, now that they are an the correct sides? Or does the swaybar and/or tie rod need to be adjusted? Or did I get bad coil springs.

The only two parts that I added (beside the mopar kit) was the RK coil correction pads and the AEV stamped geometry correction brackets.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_223433517

DRIVER SIDE:

Leaning forward or backwards makes me think AEV brackets not set properly to the lift height you gained from lift 🤷‍♂️. Do have which setting used for the drop brackets?

916373E3-78B5-401C-A828-B5EDD45A95A7.jpeg

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
Leaning forward or backwards makes me think AEV brackets not set properly to the lift height you gained from lift 🤷‍♂️. Do have which setting used for the drop brackets?

916373E3-78B5-401C-A828-B5EDD45A95A7.jpeg
I tried all three settings... it goes from bad to real bad, to d'oh! It is currently on the middle setting.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Something is not right...

1. I have never seen Mopar lift springs with the plastic around the coils and they usually have a red and blue tag on them (side dependent). Are you sure these are springs from the Mopar lift (maybe the diesel model has different coils....)?

2. Have you verified the top of the front coil springs are seated correctly in the top isolator?

3. Have you verified the bottom part of the front coil springs are seated correctly in the RK pads (cant tell for sure from the pics)?

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think you need to swap back to the original LCA's. The MOPAR lift extended ones are not meant to work with the AEV bracket. It's thrusting everything too far forward. I had something similar happen with an MC 2.5" gamechanger and Maximus-3 brackets, I had to shorten the LCA's all the way to keep the passenger spring out of the sway bar. You can also consider grinding down the sway bar if that only gets you close, but I think the shorter LCA's should be better.
My issue was because the axle I swapped in had some interesting mount alignments. One UCA is almost maxed out and another is almost at it's minimum for a caster of 4.6 and 4.7.

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
Something is not right...

1. I have never seen Mopar lift springs with the plastic around the coils and they usually have a red and blue tag on them (side dependent). Are you sure these are springs from the Mopar lift (maybe the diesel model has different coils....)?

2. Have you verified the top of the front coil springs are seated correctly in the top isolator?

3. Have you verified the bottom part of the front coil springs are seated correctly in the RK pads (cant tell for sure from the pics)?
I will double-triple check the upper seats.

I have the coils turned/clocked to where the blunt end of the coil is up against the face on the RK pads and cannot turn any further.

These are the springs. The part numbers is how I realized the dealer installed them on the wrong sides in the front.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_193159855

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_192151182

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I think you need to swap back to the original LCA's. The MOPAR lift extended ones are not meant to work with the AEV bracket. It's thrusting everything too far forward. I had something similar happen with an MC 2.5" gamechanger and Maximus-3 brackets, I had to shorten the LCA's all the way to keep the passenger spring out of the sway bar. You can also consider grinding down the sway bar if that only gets you close, but I think the shorter LCA's should be better.
My issue was because the axle I swapped in had some interesting mount alignments. One UCA is almost maxed out and another is almost at it's minimum for a caster of 4.6 and 4.7.
I ran the longer arms with Rancho geometry brackets and my springs were straight. Unless there is a major difference between the AEV and Rancho I don't think that is the issue. Then again maybe something is different on the diesel.

I did run an adjustable trackbar which helps to keep springs from bowing.

I believe I also ran one of the RK wedges backwards to keep the spring straight. Can't remember which side.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
From the instructions I see the following front coil numbers;

Driver Front: 68488666AA
Pass Front: 68488667AA

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
That's interesting. I did not think about that. The AEV brackets are advertised as working with stock LCAs, on vehicle's with 2" - 4.5" lifts. I assumed they meant the stock LCA from the lift kit. Thanks for this tidbit!

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
From the instructions I see the following front coil numbers;

Driver Front: 68488666AA
Pass Front: 68488667AA
yep

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221201_192151182

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I will double-triple check the upper seats.

I have the coils turned/clocked to where the blunt end of the coil is up against the face on the RK pads and cannot turn any further.

These are the springs. The part numbers is how I realized the dealer installed them on the wrong sides in the front.

Seems like your bottoms are seated correctly then...

Its either the top is seated incorrectly, or you have bad springs.

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
I ran the longer arms with Rancho geometry brackets and my springs were straight. Unless there is a major difference between the AEV and Rancho I don't think that is the issue. Then again maybe something is different on the diesel.

I did run an adjustable trackbar which helps to keep springs from bowing.

I believe I also ran one of the RK wedges backwards to keep the spring straight. Can't remember which side.
What would be a good front coil replacement kit for these mopar coils? I am running 37s.

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
Seems like your bottoms are seated correctly then...

Its either the top is seated incorrectly, or you have bad springs.
What would be a good replacement front coil kit? I am running 37s. If there is anything in stock at Summit Racing in Arlington I could get them in the morning and be done with this ordeal. thanks for your help!

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am running Rock Krawler 2.5" coils front and rear in combination with the correction pads. They provide less lift than the Mopar springs IMO. The trick here is that you are most likely going to need to replace both front and rear coils as a set, I would not replace just the front coils with another brand.

My opinion: Remove anything you added (RK pads, etc.) and take it back to the dealer and make them make it right. This is a warranty/installation issue. This will also ensure the Jeep warranty on your lift is intact and the dealer wont give you BS in the future.
Sponsored