First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Thanks Maverick. I would normally agree with you. But my local voted over 97% in favor of a strike. I wish I could explain why the membership feels this way, unfortunately FCA monitors everything I post on this forum and right now is not a good time to be " Insubordinate " as they are looking for any reason to fire people. So here is a link to an article posted in our local paper. Feel free to read it and tell me what you think.
https://www.workers.org/2019/09/04/feds-go-after-uaw-unions-corruption-and-the-capitalist-state/
Good article and good to see you are alive. Haven’t seen a post from you in ages which makes sense now.

I’m not pro or anti union except that I do disagree with forced union membership. I have worked in places with and without unions. On a small scale I’ve seen them do some good. Larger not so much.

I think anytime an organization has compulsory income that workers cannot avoid paying they will be inevitably corrupt. Physicians have that with the ABMS. They aren’t a union. They don’t even pretend to have any interest in us like a union would. Just some private company we have to pay thousands to while they laugh taking our money. There’s currently a movement to fight back but there’s literally nothing we can do so it’s all moot. Insurance won’t pay and hospitals won’t let you work without the ABMS.

I wish you guys the best. Sounds like your leadership isn’t any better than the ceos they were meant to protect you from. Sadly I think it’s a certain type of person who can claw their way that high in a large organization. Power doesn’t corrupt. Corrupt seeks power. So good luck that the replacements are any different.
Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Yeah, it's the union. It has nothing to do with the average line worker makes 70-80k a year and the CEO makes 22 million. Nah, nothing.
CEO takes a lot bigger risk then the average line worker. That and if the CEO does get canned the number of years to get a new job is proportional to salary. Known fact. So you have to build that into what you make now to bridge the gap and maintain your lifestyle.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Remember there would be ZERO CEOs and corporations if not for the workers.

Works both ways.
Disagree 100%. I've owned several businesses. Had no employees. Made LOTS of money. I eventually had a few employees with a couple but that wasn't necessary for the business. I have a business in mothballs right now. If I decide to spin it up I don't need employees.

McDonald's doesn't need "workers" anymore. It needs working kiosks.

Human capital is expensive, grouchy and demanding.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Disagree 100%. I've owned several businesses. Had no employees. Made LOTS of money. I eventually had a few employees with a couple but that wasn't necessary for the business. I have a business in mothballs right now. If I decide to spin it up I don't need employees.

McDonald's doesn't need "workers" anymore. It needs working kiosks.

Human capital is expensive, grouchy and demanding.
As have I. Do you think there'll be a union for a your private business that has a handful of employees? No. We're talking about multi billion dollar organizations that employ thousands.

Don't compare your mom and pop business to a multi billion. Try running FCA/GM/Ford with zero employees.

You're talking apples to oranges.

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
CEO takes a lot bigger risk then the average line worker. That and if the CEO does get canned the number of years to get a new job is proportional to salary. Known fact. So you have to build that into what you make now to bridge the gap and maintain your lifestyle.
If you gave me 22 million and then canned me after 1 year, I'd never have to work another day in my life. And I suspect neither would you. Also, NO CEO goes into a position without a "Golden Parachute" clause in the contract. That usually pays them at least 125% of income for 2 years. If you are line worker and get laid off, you have to wait 7 weeks for unemployment (at least that's the way it used to be.). If you get fired: you don't get diddly. Oh, workman's comp? Sure, get super injured on the job and maybe you can recoup 50% of your pay while recovering. IF you have medical benefits.

So, if the CEO gets canned, he reaps millions of dollars. If the line worker gets canned, laid off, replaced by a robot, they usually get diddly.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
One last comment before I go back to silence and eat my popcorn: sadly, on both sides of the argument it comes down to one inevitable motivator: money. Money, money, money, money. Money. Money MONEY, money. Stockholders money, workers money, CEO's money.

MONEY.

How sad.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
I have read this.

I guess that I don’t understand.

Talks between the union and GM have broken down and the union called the strike as previously authorized by the members by a democratic vote of the members.

It is estimated that GM’s shareholders (remember, the company is owned by the public.... teacher pension funds, state pension funds, fidelity mutual funds, me, you, grandma) are going to lose, by some estimates, $70m to $100m per day (in cash out of the company) that the strike carries on. That lose of cash impact the value of the company.

Why should those shareholders also pay for healthcare of striking employees during the strike? Seems to me like the Union should cover that out of the dues that the members pay. Isn’t that the point of the union? Unions put themselves between the member and the company and act as the “representative” for the member with the company. Union members pay dues. So, the union, who decided to strike should have to pay ALL of the worker’s loses, right?

Isn’t that what a strike is all about? The union is telling the company to screw themselves..... the members want a better deal than the company wants to give and are willing to forgo pay and benefits to get it by inflicting financial pain on the company (and by default other people’s pensions and investment portfolios). Well, ok. That’s fine. Go strike and forego your benefits and pay.

I thought that was the whole point.
The union will cover the cost of the medical care through cobra.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you gave me 22 million and then canned me after 1 year, I'd never have to work another day in my life. And I suspect neither would you. Also, NO CEO goes into a position without a "Golden Parachute" clause in the contract. That usually pays them at least 125% of income for 2 years. If you are line worker and get laid off, you have to wait 7 weeks for unemployment (at least that's the way it used to be.). If you get fired: you don't get diddly. Oh, workman's comp? Sure, get super injured on the job and maybe you can recoup 50% of your pay while recovering. IF you have medical benefits.

So, if the CEO gets canned, he reaps millions of dollars. If the line worker gets canned, laid off, replaced by a robot, they usually get diddly.
Man sounds like to me I would strive to become a CEO instead of thinking I should be granted or given that just because.

Sponsored

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Hopefully GM will move to a State that does not have unions but most likely they will move out of the country.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Hopefully GM will move to a State that does not have unions but most likely they will move out of the country.
Sadly this is exactly what I expect will happen (move jobs out of country). It will be harder to compete with the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Honda, BMW, etc who do not have unions in their US based manufacturing plants. It’s a big competitive advantage for them.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Man sounds like to me I would strive to become a CEO instead of thinking I should be granted or given that just because.
Yeah G'dirt, I'm sure every person who serves on the line at GM, Ford, FCA, Renault, whatevercarcompany, feels they are given their salary and benefits because they don't do a damn thing to earn them. You ever worked in an engine plant? Assembly line? Foundry? If you have, I'm surprised at your political leaning. If not, I can see why.

And, yes I have. Chevrolet foundry in Town of Tonawanda, NY. Engine plant, same town. Engine assembly line, Chevrolet, Tonawanda.

Ok, I said I would be silent and now I will. Have at it G'dirt, I won't stop you.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Since we are sharing articles. Admin assistants making $150k. Yeah tell me it’s about the line worker.
https://www.unionfacts.com/employees/United_Auto_Workers
And another big union
https://www.unionfacts.com/employees/AFL-CIO
Holy moly.

Looks like the union members should be also having a vote to kick out the union. All of their dues coming out of their checks going to pay for 6-figure salaries for a bunch of folks who do...... what?

Union leaders, despite having a pile of stones, live in glass houses.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah G'dirt, I'm sure every person who serves on the line at GM, Ford, FCA, Renault, whatevercarcompany, feels they are given their salary and benefits because they don't do a damn thing to earn them. You ever worked in an engine plant? Assembly line? Foundry? If you have, I'm surprised at your political leaning. If not, I can see why.

And, yes I have. Chevrolet foundry in Town of Tonawanda, NY. Engine plant, same town. Engine assembly line, Chevrolet, Tonawanda.

Ok, I said I would be silent and now I will. Have at it G'dirt, I won't stop you.
Not done them but have seen them being done. Also I have seen them being done in BMW, Nissan/Infinit, Mercedes and Toyota. There is zero correlation of job types and toughness of that job and union need.
Sponsored