Sponsored

Possible UAW Strike

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Fingers crossed all the FCA and Ford workers work out a good deal without a strike.
With all of the bitching about bad quality on this site, I'm surprised anyone cares. Quality could end up being better in Mexico.
Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Gm's stock went up $1.08 today. Surprise ! I expect this strike to have negative effect on its share price. Buying opportunity should definitely come out of this.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
All we have been told is indefinitely.
What probably will happen is, once GM has a contract, either Ford or FCA will go next. When it's our turn and they will offer us a new contract, if we the union doesn't like it they will either keep negotiations open or go on strike. If the union likes what FCA has offered us, than they bring it to the membership to vote on. If the membership votes it down, they can either continue working with the old contract or strike, depending on how far apart we are on the negotiations
Not necessarily true. Once GM settles it sets the frame work for the other 2. Management will almost never try to deviate from what the strike affected co contract is. They know it’s a losing and costly battle.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
This is a very interesting article on why the strike got to where it is now and how corrupt many of these UAW leaders are. I feel for the workers as the people they pay dues to represent and fight for them clearly have their own ambitions:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/o...orial-blame-strike-uaw-corruption/2345455001/
I don't think you can lay this strike at anyone's feet. Yes, the union officials have (always) been corrupt (ever hear of Jimmy Hoffa?) but the executives at GM are just as corrupt and self-serving. As another poster said in this thread, we the taxpayers bailed out GM, and their executives promised to pay it back and stay in the USA, but neither is happening.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
With all of the bitching about bad quality on this site, I'm surprised anyone cares. Quality could end up being better in Mexico.
I can’t say for sure how it is now, but when I was doing homework looking to buy a 2000 half ton Dodge pickup I came into contact with a senior QC engineer of theirs. Trucks were being built in both Mexico and the US. I expressed concern about getting one built in Mexico (influenced by ignorance and xenophobia) and he laughed. He told me at that time that the ones coming off the line in Mexico were hands down better in almost every quality metric than the ones produced domestically. Union labor at both plants.

Mine came from Mexico and I had zero complaints the entire time I owned it.

Hopefully any further strikes are averted and everyone is satisfied.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
If the strike is prolonged, the haulers might strike in sympathy. That will affect all.
Teamsters already told GM that they won't move a single vehicle until the strike is over. That's solidarity.

Sponsored

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Not necessarily true. Once GM settles it sets the frame work for the other 2. Management will almost never try to deviate from what the strike affected co contract is. They know it’s a losing and costly battle.
Yes, GM's contract will set the framework. But we didn't get everything that GM and Ford received 4 years ago. And with all the corruption inside the UAW that represents FCA, we want to strike just to see if our union still has the balls and not being paid off by FCA like during the last contract. We're pissed. FCA and the UAW totally screwed us 4 years ago.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Fingers crossed all the FCA and Ford workers work out a good deal without a strike.
Thanks Maverick. I would normally agree with you. But my local voted over 97% in favor of a strike. I wish I could explain why the membership feels this way, unfortunately FCA monitors everything I post on this forum and right now is not a good time to be " Insubordinate " as they are looking for any reason to fire people. So here is a link to an article posted in our local paper. Feel free to read it and tell me what you think.
https://www.workers.org/2019/09/04/feds-go-after-uaw-unions-corruption-and-the-capitalist-state/

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Thanks Maverick. I would normally agree with you. But my local voted over 97% in favor of a strike. I wish I could explain why the membership feels this way, unfortunately FCA monitors everything I post on this forum and right now is not a good time to be " Insubordinate " as they are looking for any reason to fire people. So here is a link to an article posted in our local paper. Feel free to read it and tell me what you think.
https://www.workers.org/2019/09/04/feds-go-after-uaw-unions-corruption-and-the-capitalist-state/
97% is a great number, helps send the message to the company that you guys mean business and won’t bend over this time as long as the chairs can bring that strength to the table.

We just signed last fall after 2 years past contract, stay strong brother and hope you guys come out with a good contract. Have our support, united steel workers 2251 from the great white north

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
JLEngineline. i read the article. would there be or any talk on a retro pay, back pay to compensate for the bad deal on the last contract. i understand if you cant comment on that.
Sponsored