Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
Only reason I saw them was the flashing of the headlights from the other Elk running in front of them and I knew to watch for it. Glad nothing was beat up too bad. Time for some LED headlamps.
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Hit my first elk last night. Considering how massive that fella was, I'm surprised at the damage. Jeep did a good and I was able to keep on trucking to home without losing any time.

PXL_20221115_012017054.jpg

PXL_20221115_012030472.jpg

PXL_20221115_012154413.jpg

PXL_20221115_011817311.jpg

Not to be a dick, or belittle your experience, but at about the 7 second mark of your video there is a quick shadow that blocks out the reflections ahead of you. Could have been an indicator that something was in the roadway.
We teach our commercial drivers that spring and fall are the worst times of the year for animal strikes. Just before dawn, and just after dusk are the worst times of the day, and to watch for things that block out lights and reflections which will give them a head's up that something maybe amiss, rather than waiting to see what is actually there. Saved us a lot of front end plastic ... LOL

OP
OP
Ladyt618

Ladyt618

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
You hit your FIRST elk last night? Are you planning on hitting more? :CWL: Seriously, I'm glad that you're OK. Jeeps can be fixed. People take a bit more fixing.
Yeah, after I wrote that, I thought to myself "WOW, AM I really planning to hit more" 😂😂

OP
OP
Ladyt618

Ladyt618

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Not to be a dick, or belittle your experience, but at about the 7 second mark of your video there is a quick shadow that blocks out the reflections ahead of you. Could have been an indicator that something was in the roadway.
We teach our commercial drivers that spring and fall are the worst times of the year for animal strikes. Just before dawn, and just after dusk are the worst times of the day, and to watch for things that block out lights and reflections which will give them a head's up that something maybe amiss, rather than waiting to see what is actually there. Saved us a lot of front end plastic ... LOL
I actually did see the first 2 running across and that's when I started braking but I have about 230 lbs in the back and in hindsight I suppose I could have pulled the emergency brake but hey, ya live and ya learn. It was about 5 or 6 in a row crossing and I think I hit the 4th because there was at least another behind the one I hit, but he waited :D

OP
OP
Ladyt618

Ladyt618

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Only reason I saw them was the flashing of the headlights from the other Elk running in front of them and I knew to watch for it. Glad nothing was beat up too bad. Time for some LED headlamps.
They actually are LEDs but elk run tings out in these parts 😉

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I actually did see the first 2 running across and that's when I started braking but I have about 230 lbs in the back and in hindsight I suppose I could have pulled the emergency brake but hey, ya live and ya learn. It was about 5 or 6 in a row crossing and I think I hit the 4th because there was at least another behind the one I hit, but he waited :D
Yikes !!! Usually you can expect 2, or maybe 3, but 6 !!! That's rare as they don't typically herd up this early. Another month is a different story.
Glad you're okay though :)

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Hit my first elk last night. Considering how massive that fella was, I'm surprised at the damage. Jeep did a good and I was able to keep on trucking to home without losing any time.

PXL_20221115_012017054.jpg

PXL_20221115_012030472.jpg

PXL_20221115_012154413.jpg

PXL_20221115_011817311.jpg

One of my biggest fears. Glad you're OK.

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I moved to AZ from Evergreen, CO (8,200'). Sometimes we'd wake up and there would be a few dozen elk in our "yard". I can remember instances when I was late for work because they were clogging up my driveway and wouldn't move. And, being sane, I didn't try to rush them. During rutting season they are very unpredictable.
One of the scariest moments I have had while on a motorcycle was riding from Redrocks up to Evergreen coming around a corner and seeing an elk standing in the middle of my lane not moving.

Thankfully I was able to stand the bike back up and stop, but Im not sure I would have walked away from a motorcycle/elk crash!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Only reason I saw them was the flashing of the headlights from the other Elk running in front of them and I knew to watch for it. Glad nothing was beat up too bad.
That comment reminded me of this past Sunday.

The Missus and I were returning from an Open House event, at dusk, when an oncoming driver flashed their headlights at me. We were on a rural, curving two-lane road with no shoulder. Really not a place to speed, or hide (LEO). As we were approaching a small forested area that is a known deer crossing, I figured that's why I was flashed, so I lifted my right foot.

Almost on cue, as we were now parallel to the trees, we saw a large doe poke her head out of the underbrush, and then pull it back in quickly.

Stay frosty. :beer:

One of the scariest moments I have had while on a motorcycle was riding from Redrocks up to Evergreen coming around a corner and seeing an elk standing in the middle of my lane not moving.
I was able to ride away from an actual impact. As you can guess, it's as startling as we might envision.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Popped my Elk cherry Capture.JPG

A testament to the jeep's ruggedness, an Elk hits your jeep and then all your jeep does is this expression...:D

Glad your ok and it doesn't look too bad all things considering.

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
They actually are LEDs but elk run tings out in these parts 😉
Lol yea not much you can do against something that large.

That comment reminded me of this past Sunday.

The Missus and I were returning from an Open House event, at dusk, when an oncoming driver flashed their headlights at me. We were on a rural, curving two-lane road with no shoulder. Really not a place to speed, or hide (LEO). As we were approaching a small forested area that is a known deer crossing, I figured that's why I was flashed, so I lifted my right foot.

Almost on cue, as we were now parallel to the trees, we saw a large doe poke her head out of the underbrush, and then pull it back in quickly.

Stay frosty. :beer:

I was able to ride away from an actual impact. As you can guess, it's as startling as we might envision.
We were out at the Dragon on the motorcycles years ago for a 5 day trip. Monday morning we get up and head out one more run up and back. On the way back down a bike passed me with the universal slow down sign so I backed it down a good bit. 5 corners later nothing was there so I picked up the pace again only to come around a left hander and a semi facing me in my lane <1000 feet ahead. About shit myself but luckily I was still aware of the possible dangers ahead and got stopped.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR

That's a shame for sure.

This is a situation where potentially with some very long range driving lights, the outcome might be different.

I never thought I needed them but when I got my 21 JL, I put Baja Designs LP6's on (pair). With them on, it's like the factory headlights (which are great) don't even exist.

Some food for thought for those who travel back roads with little traffic, in the dark.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
you cant harvest roadkill now.. imagine that.

All animals are the property of the state.

it's actually been this way forever.. you HAVE to alert the authorities to any roadkill.

It's a hunting/conservation thing. Who knows what you hit? It might look like a deer to you but be some some crazy thing some nut introduced into our environment

It could be bigfoot
Sponsored