First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
These two choices are not mutually exclusive. For me, I want the better gas mileage, and the torque, and the tax credit just makes it better. If the 4xe didn't have the gas mileage, i would have spent more on the diesel.
With the rebate the Diesel is $6,000 more than the 4xe. I still want to drive both back to back but I'm 80% going with the 4xe. If they ever release them...

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
In addition to the better gas mileage, The other reason is it’s a Jeep wrangler and I can drive up to the snow in the Sierra and down the unpaved road to get to my ski lodge with confidence. Not to mention explore off road and it’s just fun to drive and less expensive than the gas only with the rebate.

Sponsored

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
After picking up my taxes from my accountant today I think I will buy one for the rebate. Can’t believe what I owe for 2020.
Besides being a torque monster it gets plug-in credits and may even get you electrical company credits. The power companies in many areas of Oregon offer additional incentives for a charging station but mine on the coast doesn't. Check for state tax credits too. The fed is at 7,500. Oregon has 2 programs...if my income was lower I would qualify for a state total of 5K on top of the fed credit! When I factored everything I was paying less for the 4XE than the 4cyl. turbo equipped the same.. after the credits.

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I’m a mileage/efficiency fan and the increase, even if it doesn’t equal a true 50MPGe when it’s delivered, will surely be better than my current daily driver Jeep (JT Sport S/18.4MPG) and definitely better than my toy Jeep (TJ/12MPG downhill).
I normally wouldn’t care about fuel economy but I’m stationed in SoCal for the next five years and gas will soon be $4+/gallon so it just makes sense.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
I’m a mileage/efficiency fan and the increase, even if it doesn’t equal a true 50MPGe when it’s delivered, will surely be better than my current daily driver Jeep (JT Sport S/18.4MPG) and definitely better than my toy Jeep (TJ/12MPG downhill).
I normally wouldn’t care about fuel economy but I’m stationed in SoCal for the next five years and gas will soon be $4+/gallon so it just makes sense.
Nothing beats gas prices on base!

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
It’s actually cheaper to buy gas at Sam’s by about 35-40¢/gallon. Base gas reflects pretty close to out in town these days.
In camp pendleton it's usually same or cheaper than Costco. Need to look into Sam's club prices now

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
It’s actually cheaper to buy gas at Sam’s by about 35-40¢/gallon. Base gas reflects pretty close to out in town these days.
Or higher in my experience in about all places I've been and questionable quality at some.

NavinJohnson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4xe
I voted better gas mileage/going green, as my commute is only 5 miles in either direction so 80% of the time I'll be in all electric, but all 3 apply. I tried pricing out a regular Rubicon with the same options (in addition to all of the items that are part of the base 4xe Rubicon that don't come standard on the ICE versions) and it is a bit less pricey, especially when the rebate is factored in.

But a special bonus (some people might consider this silly) is no red dash on the 4xe Rubicon. I HATE the red dash on the regular Rubi. I was considering a Willys before I saw the 4xe for this specific reason.

Last edited:

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
You may know this already, but the 50mpge does not reflect your expected gas mileage. It's only an indication of efficiency while using electric power only. After about 25 miles, you will start to see the normal 2L engine's gas mileage (about 23.5mpg) until you recharge the battery. If you only take short trips & can charge every day, your gas mileage will be extremely good...at the expense of your electricity bill. I just want to make sure nobody expects 50 mpg from their JL 4xe.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
You may know this already, but the 50mpge does not reflect your expected gas mileage. It's only an indication of efficiency while using electric power only. After about 25 miles, you will start to see the normal 2L engine's gas mileage (about 23.5mpg) until you recharge the battery. If you only take short trips & can charge every day, your gas mileage will be extremely good...at the expense of your electricity bill. I just want to make sure nobody expects 50 mpg from their JL 4xe.
I am guessing that you will still see a bump in mileage on the gas motor, especially in the city or even on the road when you have to get on an off the throttle. I know you are about 500#'s heavier but it is just basically a typical hybrid then. I am really going to be curious just what the mileage is really going to be and look forward to some people doing real world testing.

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I’m well aware, I only need it to be decently better than what I’m currently getting as I have about 60 miles of commuting to do every day. Not worried about charging either as I don’t plan on running strictly electric often - I have a lot of hills to drive on so I’ll need as much of that torque as possible.
Sponsored