Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I installed the Mopar Kicker speakers (77KICK25AB) straight out of the box (which had a Mopar logo on it) and have been really happy with their sound. I've been pretty impressed with the amount of mid-range (and even a little bass) these speakers put out given their relatively small size. I don't recall seeing a capacitor on the 77KICKAB speakers- but perhaps there was one there.
No they don't come with a cap. I put one in, because of the speaker size and Crutchfield recommendations. They are 4 ohm speakers, so I used a 133uF which should block < 300 Hz. You might be able to get away without the cap, but I suspect some of the reported problems might be due to that. (The stock speakers have a cap that blocks at a much higher frequency).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good information... I didn't have an issue with the Kicker speakers when I installed them with the stock setup, but now that I'm thinking about it I realize my current setup does have a filter (because the Alpine KTP amp allows you to individually set filters for the front and rear channels).

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried these?
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fCqRh...v60EHIxaY9qo90lzUorSNbHAqhwfJiMBoCE6QQAvD_BwE
I just ran accross them and they look badass.
Now that looks promising... Rather than build pods, they've created a speaker with a housing designed to fit in the sound bar. I like that a lot- if I hadn't already gone with the SSV pod... heck, eventually I'll probably upgrade to these anyway. Now we just need someone to buy and install them so we can get a review!

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S

Sponsored

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
so any source on the harnesses? I like the thought of adding the small amp with no muss and no fuss.

Pemberton325

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
I’ve been scouring the net and can’t find these harnesses for sale anywhere, but, I did come across this site & harnesses. A bit pricey. But the T & Main were about $100 for both from PAC Parts anyway, right?

Not sure which I’d need yet. I’ve got the standard 7” head unit. I’ve replaced speakers already and am not doing a sub - yet - but will in the near future (powered 10’).

https://netaudio.com/store/product-category/jeep/2018-up-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door/

Anyone have any thoughts?

Did you figure out what you needed?

I am about to order the Alpine KTP-445U and the Alpine PWE-S8 and I need a harness to attach to the factory 7 in head unit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say cross over, do you mean the bass blocker capacitor? I added those myself onto the 77Kicker25AB. They did not come with a cap. The stock speakers do have a small cap, and the kickers use the same connector with a jumper wire instead of a cap. It pretty easy to remove the jumper wire and solder in a bass blocker cap.
Yes it was the capacitor, I just was shocked that kicker said the speakers didn't come with a capacitor and it was put on by Mopar.
My Jeep is in the shop getting the steel steering box put on, when I get it back I'm going to check my wires again to see if I crossed something, as per kicker

Sponsored

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
Did you figure out what you needed?

I am about to order the Alpine KTP-445U and the Alpine PWE-S8 and I need a harness to attach to the factory 7 in head unit.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I did.
First, I found the cost of the harnesses at the link TJJL19 mentioned too pricey for me, for what you're getting. They look well made and all - but, they're "just a harness".

I went with the Pac AmpPro module - which comes with a harness - and its been great. It also provides you some features you can tweak - which I did, based on my speaker & sub setup. I was able to better tune my EQ midpoints (not sure if I'm saying it right) so that my radio EQ is more effective & things sound more to my liking (my 3.5" speakers are a bit bright, so needed to tame them some and able to get my sub pretty much perfect as well).

I used the factory speaker wiring & didn't replace it, and had to do a few minor splices there which was relatively easy. I think I have all my details posted somewhere on here. Maybe go through my profile and see my previous posts.

Also - that sub Alpine is a bit pricey. I've heard it - and other 8" low profile subs - and while it is better than nothing, I went with a 10" powered sub that takes up most of the behind the seat space on my 2 door. But it works awesome and does not leave me feeling like I'm lacking bass whether top up or down, doors on or off. Its cranks. I spent $99 on it - Rockville RWS10CA. I guess they're known as a cheap brand - but for the price and how well it performs - no complaints (well, outside of the materials they used to build the box - it stinks and no, its not the speaker coil burning - its the box enclosure/glue. Finally starting to not smell so bad 3 months later). If I get 1-2 years out of it, I'll very happy.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you tell me which parts from that site I would need to order to add the amp?
Varilux might be able to answer that question better then I,