Please Explain... Mopar Swing Gate Reinforcement

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
I have both Mopar pieces, and they work great....to an extent.

The reinforcement plate helps distribute the weight of the spare over a broader area, essentially utilizing the whole gate instead of the very center (which is also reinforced btw). I had the Smitty bracket and the RC bracket, and both still allowed for too much movement (wobble) for my taste. I have -12mm offset wheels with 37's so the weight is stuck out a little further.

The riser part does exactly that, gets the tire up away from hitting the bumper. I only am using the riser pieces, not the spacers that come with the kit, to keep my spare as close to the gate as I can, this helps negate the negative offset wheels.

The two pieces together have worked the best for me, it has stopped almost all (~90%) of the vibrations that the other brackets caused. Only flaw for me is that there is still a tiny bit of sag on the gate from the weight of my combo, which is seen at the door striker latch area. The body lines of the gate and the tub don't line up exactly (the top part of the gate sticks out maybe a 1/16" of an inch different than the tub)

I will post a pic or two shortly to show the sag.

I've had this on for around 5k miles now, and really can't complain.......price kinda sucked though
Sponsored

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
From the pics above you can see the top of the gate is ever so slightly outward and the bottom of the gate is ever so slightly inward. Now I could have probably put a preload on the gate to help with the weight and keep the gate perfectly lined up, but it's minimal and doesn't really bother me.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I think its your simple Force x Velocity Squared by the Mass tortion or Schmerkler Effect on bodies in states of motion.
I'm no scientific rocket but the hinges can Flurbinate and thats bad.
The reinforcement hinge Deflurbinates, see. And so, that's why we need the hinges to be in parallel, never in asymmetric cannation.

And it costs money.
Your money.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
@nbtchicago, @Spank; here is a very basic diagram of the forces. As stated by others, the reinforcement isnā€™t for the hinges. Itā€™s for the gate itself. It keeps a heavier wheel and tire from bending the swing gate. And spank is right, it doesnā€™t take stress off of the hinges...and I donā€™t believe itā€™s advertised to. However, the bracket is made to be super stiff in order to resist the forces generated by the mass of the tire. By being less flexible than the swing gate and connected to the hinges, it takes stress off of the swing gate. Kind of like how a dual rate spring has one rate to handle normal forces and a stiffer rate to handle what the softer rate canā€™t. The process is just kind of reversed for the reinforcement bracket. Think of it this way, if you have a flat piece of metal laid flat between two saw horses and push down, it bends easily. Now if you take a piece of angle iron, lay one side flat and push down, even a lesser gauge is harder to bend because the vertical side of the angle iron resists the vertical forces better than the flat side. As I stated earlier, itā€™s not an ideal solution as you still have the weight on the hinges as spank pointed out. This is why I said that IMHO, for the price (assuming you are planning to replace the bumper) itā€™s a much better option to buy a bumper with a built in tire carrier. Also...please excuse my bad handwriting...Iā€™m an engineer...not a writer. OP...I hope I have answered your question and helped you make an informed decision.

7FAF21EA-6D17-4ECA-BA00-ABF2BE36B48C.jpeg
Awesome!! That's exactly what I was looking for-an explanation based on actual facts! I am unsure about the bumper... At least the budget isn't there for the moment. But, I will have to keep that in mind. I am now leaning towards keeping this darn thing and installing it... I feel like a yoyo! Thanks for the imput!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
This bothered me too. Youbuy the swing gate reinforcement and you can install it without the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Kit, but the instructions say if you are going to mount a tire larger than the stock tire that you must additionally install the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Kit. My first thought was that this was for clearances at the bumper and the extended bumpers, but I bet they are relying on the overly expensive metal brackets to provide additional stiffness and support to the tire carrier as well. Seems Mopar designed them to rely on each other in order to mount a heavier tire, yet they don't get sold as a package. That and the cost of these things is maddening.

I ordered the reinforcement from the factory and added the oversize kit myself. Getting it from the factory and paying below invoice helped on the cost. Still not sure any of it is worth it, but it has functioned fine for me so far but its only been a month!
I feel obligated to also do the tire thing since the current placement of the tire has made the rear sensors obsolete as they go berserk as soon as I put the gear in reverse!

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I think its your simple Force x Velocity Squared by the Mass tortion or Schmerkler Effect on bodies in states of motion.
The reinforcement hinge Deflurbinates, see. And so, that's why we need the hinges to be in parallel, never in asymmetric cannation.

And it costs money.
Your money.
I certainly don't want anything to be flurbinating... :cwl::cwl::cwl:

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just my take on this, the kit spreads the load out over a larger area of the sheet metal. IMO, the most likely failure of the tire mount system is fatigue failure of the sheet metal tailgate from small, high cycle, flexing during normal driving, resulting in cracking where the tire mount attaches to the tailgate.

But for the price of the Mopar reinforcing kit and the larger mount kit, I think I'd just go with an aftermarket kit that loads the bumper with the tire weight. But be careful when selecting one of those too. The loads from the tire are not just downward, but also pull outward on the tailgate. Bumper tire mounts connect to the tailgate too. Make sure the load from twisting and pulling on the tailgate is spread over a large area or that area will crack eventually too.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

And it costs money.
Your money.
Seinfeld's fifth law states that a body that flurbinates must eventually deflurbinate. A simple turbointabulator made from household products can detect flurbination between the decihertz and yoctohertz range. Common knowledge among any 3rd year Nano-Astro-sphincter physicist students.

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I would imagine there a better after market spare tire holders out there to replace the stock one even if it is reinforced.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would imagine there a better after market spare tire holders out there to replace the stock one even if it is reinforced.
There are several bumper supported types. Most have a connection to the tailgate for stability and opening the tailgate.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Seinfeld's fifth law states that a body that flurbinates must eventually deflurbinate. A simple turbointabulator made from household products can detect flurbination between the decihertz and yoctohertz range. Common knowledge among any 3rd year Nano-Astro-sphincter physicist students.
Precisely

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
What's the best price that you guys have found for the Mopar reinforcement part ?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

And it costs money.
Your money.
I feel like if you really want to deflurbinate, then you might want to decouple the chronitron dorsal impulse valve from the tachyon dilitlhium injector port. That way the microfilament slammer could help with depolarizing the tellurium neogenic filament core.
Sponsored