Plastic Door Sill Guards

Timdog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Clear vinyl wrap for me, my Jeep shop doesn’t like them for various reasons so the wrap worked great & covered everything
Sponsored

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
I decided to go with clear vinyl tape and inexpensive sill guards. My question is which width tape should I buy - 6" or 12"? My jeep is still en route from the factory so I can't take measurements at the moment.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I went with the factory Mopar ones for a better seal and on my first day of ownership scuffed and scratched that exposed, painted lip up a bit.

I didn't want to remove them and put film under, and I don't want to use the tape since over time it will peel up (from others' feedback) and the sticky mess left behind when trying to replace it would drive me nuts.

I'm gonna have my detailer try to buff out as much of the scuffs and scratches, remove the Mopar sill guards, and I just ordered the Rugged Ridge ones to put on when I pick it up. If they leak air/water/light, I'll just swap them back out for the Mopar ones and deal with the scuffs/scratches. Bummer they didn't consider this from a design standpoint. The sills on my Lexus are completely covered from the factory.

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
I'm gonna have my detailer try to buff out as much of the scuffs and scratches, remove the Mopar sill guards, and I just ordered the Rugged Ridge ones to put on when I pick it up. If they leak air/water/light, I'll just swap them back out for the Mopar ones and deal with the scuffs/scratches. Bummer they didn't consider this from a design standpoint. The sills on my Lexus are completely covered from the factory.
I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED having a 1 inch gap in my passenger door from my RUGGED RIDGE sill guards on my 2021 Rubi. Other’s exhaust sitting in traffic, winter cold air, off road mud and water are all completely unacceptable.

Hard to see in this quick pic, but here’s the 1” gap letting it all in.
👎RUGGED RIDGE👎

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic Door Sill Guards 1622860161771

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED having a 1 inch gap in my passenger door from my RUGGED RIDGE sill guards on my 2021 Rubi. Other’s exhaust sitting in traffic, winter cold air, off road mud and water are all completely unacceptable.

👎RUGGED RIDGE👎

Mine is the same way...

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up and saving me the future disappointment. I canceled the order for the Rugged Ridge ones. Looks like I'll stick with the Mopar ones and just deal with the wear and tear.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yes that is why for what other people were saying that I avoided those.

👎RUGGED RIDGE👎

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Had Mopar ones on my JK's, went with Fishbone Offroad for the JLUR. Even though the sills were clean, and I used alcohol to clean the area before applying them they are still coming up, very disappointed with them. In hindsight I probably should have scuffed the paint in the area where the sticky tape was applied.

Sponsored

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
@Olga

I used the 6" x 25". Did the deed for me. Applies almost 3 yrs. ago and still looks mint today.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZYSXZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@Rhinebeck01 -- I see you recco 6" x 25" for the front... did you use a different size for the back? (assuming you have back doors) Also... do you have a photo of how it turned out for you? Maybe a photo won't illustrate the clear film, but thought I'd ask.

Lots of great info in this thread, thanks everyone!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 -- I see you recco 6" x 25" for the front... did you use a different size for the back? (assuming you have back doors) Also... do you have a photo of how it turned out for you? Maybe a photo won't illustrate the clear film, but thought I'd ask.

Lots of great info in this thread, thanks everyone!
@webwbr
2dr Rubi. Film is clear... no can see in pic, etc

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!