Sponsored

What did You do for Door Sill Guards?

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Sorry if this has been beaten to death already.. I did a search and really didn't find a specific topic on this exactly to my question.

With the available options today for door sill guards from factory to tape what did you go with and why?

I'm on the fence between the Mopar type with Wrangler on them or the similar lower cost aftermarket or going with a textured tape type that would cover more of the area.

My concern with the plastic type avail. today is it seems to lack full coverage. But on the other hand my concern with the rubberized tape type is if you ever wanted to change it out would it be a pain in the A$$ to remove and would it end up damaging the paint anyway? I can't see this lasting long term.

Would the plastic type end up damaging the paint anyway as well given it just secures with some double sided tape and may rock in areas unprotected and wear underneath?

Just looking for opinions so I can get off the fence and get something already.. I'm way to indecisive on this one as you can tell..

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@sdynak

I've had my 2dr. JL since May. I opted to put 3m protective film over the sill area (and below it) and then then install a set of the plastic Mopar sill covers over the 3M film. Has worked out great for me. The Mopar offering looks really decent on the JL and of course, I have the paint protected with the 3M film.

In time, if I need to or want to change out the 3M film, it will be an easy process to do so.

Important: Don't delay, do something before the damage occurs!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this has been beaten to death already.. I did a search and really didn't find a specific topic on this exactly to my question.

With the available options today for door sill guards from factory to tape what did you go with and why?

I'm on the fence between the Mopar type with Wrangler on them or the similar lower cost aftermarket or going with a textured tape type that would cover more of the area.

My concern with the plastic type avail. today is it seems to lack full coverage. But on the other hand my concern with the rubberized tape type is if you ever wanted to change it out would it be a pain in the A$$ to remove and would it end up damaging the paint anyway? I can't see this lasting long term.

Would the plastic type end up damaging the paint anyway as well given it just secures with some double sided tape and may rock in areas unprotected and wear underneath?

Just looking for opinions so I can get off the fence and get something already.. I'm way to indecisive on this one as you can tell..

Thanks in advance!
I went with the way-overpriced Mopar rubber sill guards so I wouldn’t have to deal with cutting anything to proper fitment, door clearance, and placement. I’m sure there are other viable options as you’ve mentioned, but tape residue and paint damage were also a concern. I had to remove/replace one and there was no damage. I defer to the experts here since they’ve done and seen more than I have.

OP
OP
sdynak

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
@sdynak

I've had my 2dr. JL since May. I opted to put 3m protective film over the sill area (and below it) and then then install a set of the plastic Mopar sill covers over the 3M film. Has worked out great for me. The Mopar offering looks really decent on the JL and of course, I have the paint protected with the 3M film.

In time, if I need to or want to change out the 3M film, it will be an easy process to do so.

Important: Don't delay, do something before the damage occurs!
Yeah.. I have about 177 miles on it and step over it every time so far :) ..

Thanks for the input.. what is the film you put on? Is it any 3M film or are there options?

OP
OP
sdynak

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I went with the way-overpriced Mopar rubber sill guards so I wouldn’t have to deal with cutting anything to proper fitment, door clearance, and placement. I’m sure there are other viable options as you’ve mentioned, but tape residue and paint damage were also a concern. I had to remove/replace one and there was no damage. I defer to the experts here since they’ve done and seen more than I have.
Thank you for your input!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I did a combo like @Rhinebeck01 but with the step-type tape. That little lip at the top is the most vulnerable.
IMG_1151.jpg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@obwahn

I put the 3M film over the area you used the black step side tape on. We were wise to cover that area. That particular area is very prone to scratches, scuffing.... damage and should be covered.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Yup, I used the over priced Wrangler branded plastic guards. I was disappointed that the plastic didn't cover the vertical part of the sill, like on the JK sill guards. Someone pointed out that it would interfere with the rubber seal when the door is closed. Thus, it's more cosmetic I guess.

OP
OP
sdynak

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Awesome feedback guys.. thank you! I would make sure the upper lip is covered with the 3M at a minimum .. Have a great weekend to everyone and enjoy your Wranglers :) ..

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Used @R 3 door sill protectors as well as those for hinges.
Sponsored