OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
DanFelix,
If you decide to have your vehicle diagnosed and you feel that additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a direct message. We'd be glad to assist anyway we can.

Lamar
JeepCares
Thanks. This is simply a battery replacement issue and I will do it myself. If I muck it up then you might hear from me. :)
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. This is simply a battery replacement issue and I will do it myself. If I muck it up then you might hear from me. :)
If it’s the main battery it’s a pretty easy swap if it’s the ESS battery it’s more of a PITA... I have never had my ESS battery out but it looks like a pain to get to.

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
If it’s the main battery it’s a pretty easy swap if it’s the ESS battery it’s more of a PITA... I have never had my ESS battery out but it looks like a pain to get to.
I replaced the Aux battery to see if that was the problem. Removal and replacement is not hard, just tedious. The best YouTube on the procedure is the Genesis Dual Battery install. You will not need to remove the air filter, move the trans fluid container, remove the battery box, or a host of other procedures specific to the Genesis Dual Battery install. You only need access to the Aux battery.

Replacing just the Aux battery was necessary but not sufficient to solve the issue. I still received the same charging message. I then replaced the main battery and that, eventually, worked.

Evidently, removing the IBS (the small box to which the neg wires from the Aux battery and the frame ground attach) from the negative post of the main battery triggers a "re-education" process of the IBS. During the process I received "battery not charging," "ESS not ready," and "ESS requires service." All of that occurred over three starts and 30 minutes. Your mileage may vary. The ESS now works as advertised.

I purchased the batteries from O'Reilly Auto since they specifically indicated that these batteries would work. And they do, with one hiccup. The removed (original Aux battery) had a male bolt that the Aux wires would attach to and be secured by a nut. The battery I purchased does not have the bolt, only a female threaded hole, requiring me to search through the bolt and nut bucket that any car enthusiast builds over time. So, if you do get the Aux battery from O'Reilly, you will need to get the bolt, either from them or somewhere else. The male bolts in the original Aux battery do not come out and cannot be re-used.

My ESS now works fine and I can now, with great confidence, continue to disable it when I drive.

shotcoach

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just got a replacement aux battery from a dealer and the posts are female as well while the original battery has male posts. So this isn’t a problem with the O’reilly’s part in case anyone is wondering.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Evidently, removing the IBS (the small box to which the neg wires from the Aux battery and the frame ground attach) from the negative post of the main battery triggers a "re-education" process of the IBS. During the process I received "battery not charging," "ESS not ready," and "ESS requires service." All of that occurred over three starts and 30 minutes. Your mileage may vary. The ESS now works as advertised.
I replaced both my batteries with an optima yellow main and an AUX14. I still have the charging issue where I have to drive at least an hour (sometimes slightly less) to get ESS to start working. Are you saying to completely disassemble the IBS and then reinstall or just disconnect the main bulk of wiring from the negative post and then back on?
Sponsored