Battery Level Charging Low

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I had the same issue. At first, intermittent then was there all the time. Called roadside and they towed it to the dealership (BTW, roadside is 5 years or 100K miles, I didn't know it was that long). It was a loose ground, from the auxillary battery, which is under the main battery. Posting in case it happens to another forum member, may save a tow and time wasted.
IMG_0301.PNG
Are you sure that they did not also replace the "Power Control Relay Circuit? We have had two other forum goers that I know of post here that the issue they had, like you, required replacement of the Power Control Relay Circuit.
Sponsored

SamfromTX

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLU Rubicon. Past Jeep: 2011 JK Rubicon
Are you sure that they did not also replace the "Power Control Relay Circuit? We have had two other forum goers that I know of post here that the issue they had, like you, required replacement of the Power Control Relay Circuit.
No, I am not. It was the service advisor who told me it was a loose ground. When I inquired which one, he said from the auxiliary battery but when I asked about its location he had no idea. They do say "repaired power control relay circuit" and not "replace". And the Jeep was fixed quickly, so I don't know if that relay is the same as the JK or not. If they replaced it, it means that they had it in stock, which I would imagine would be unusual if it is a JL specific relay.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
No, I am not. It was the service advisor who told me it was a loose ground. When I inquired which one, he said from the auxiliary battery but when I asked about its location he had no idea. They do say "repaired power control relay circuit" and not "replace". And the Jeep was fixed quickly, so I don't know if that relay is the same as the JK or not. If they replaced it, it means that they had it in stock, which I would imagine would be unusual if it is a JL specific relay.
Since you say the JL went in and out of the service dept. (same day I assume) then they undoubtedly did not replace the Power Control Relay Module as they would have had to order it probably...

By the way, the secondary battery is on passenger side, stashed behind the front wheelwell plastic fender liner.

09900.jpg

SamfromTX

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLU Rubicon. Past Jeep: 2011 JK Rubicon
Since you say the JL went in and out of the service dept. (same day I assume) then they undoubtedly did not replace the Power Control Relay Module as they would have had to order it probably...

By the way, the secondary battery is on passenger side, stashed behind the front wheelwell plastic fender liner.

09900.jpg
Yes, same day.
Thanks for the location clarification and picture. I wonder if the ground he was talking about is the one we see in your picture, at about 8 o'clock outside the green ring?? Is this the auxillary battery ground?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
Yes, same day.
I wonder if the ground he was talking about is the one we see in your picture, at about 8 o'clock outside the green ring?? Is this the auxiliary battery ground?
It is obviously a ground but in regard for what, I do not know..

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

09900.jpg
That battery appears to be sitting fairly low. Is it mounted in a protective case or open to the elements? Is there a top cover that is missing from this picture?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
That battery appears to be sitting fairly low. Is it mounted in a protective case or open to the elements? Is there a top cover that is missing from this picture?
Another pic..

essbattery.JPG

Last edited:

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Thanks for the post, 2018 Sahara jL 568 miles, had same pop up today! Battery charge low, and engine will shut off soon!
I was still pulling her out of the garage, engine stumbling and red charge indicator on. Will see if any connections are loose.

Was wondering where the stop start relay is at, I saw reference to that in another post... UGH 12 inches of snow here in PA and I gotta take an uber to work...

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Took a quick look at my2018 JL Sahara, Still getting engine will shut off soon and no charge condition...
Seems the battery batteries are once again almost dead, been on charge for hours. When I monitor the Battery charge display in jeep, it says 13.2 max, never goes any higher... Its at 11.1 when it had all the alarms and dash lights beeping.

I did look under the fuse box distribution just behind the battery near the firewall. Pressed on one of the fuses and it clicked firmly into its socket. WTH???? I had to do this with EVERY fuse and relay in there, dont miss any they are all loose......! Some were very loose! Most actually clicked into the socket...

Did find a nice fuse identification label inside the lid, also see bunch of 10mm distribution lugs towards the engine.
They look loose also, again back to the dealer. This time armed with more information.. There are so many fuses hid behind relays in there that your finger tips will be hurting till you get them all seated..

Keep you guys/gals in the loop. Cant get pix to upload just yet, still learning.

Any way to isolate which battery is dead or both? Help...

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Found this under fuse box cover, N1 had 12.6. Volts and terminal N2 has 4.1 volts

Dealer says, ESS RELAY mounted on firewall has crossthreaded connection
Needs to replace relay. Service guy wiggled it and it started right up.
Still don't know where it is!

20180322_142706.jpg

Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
My 2 week old Rubi just popped this message "ALERT: Battery Level Charging Level Low- Stop Safely, Vehicle will shut off soon" ...It is now in the shop with initial estimates of getting it back "in a few days"....anyone seen this light or have any ideas? Car drove completely fine and did not end up shutting off.
IMG_0873.jpeg
IMG_0875.jpeg

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Let us know if it is the same issue...fortunately the service team at my dealership were great and the part was in stock...if this is a rampant issue there might be a recall or a fix in development....good luck! separation anxiety does suck!

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Whats update, hear anything?

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
We just hit 21 days on a JLU Sport S. Same issue. I was 4 blocks from the dealer when is shuttered and barely made it to their shop. The battery indicator showed 13.3 volts yet the battery light was on and it barely ran. Hopefully I get the diagnosis today and the Jeep back today as well.

Coincidentally, I already had a service scheduled today for an issue that my fuel economy screen 4 as well as the odometer doesn't work when starting the Jeep normally. It does work when starting the jeep with the remote starter. The factory engineers are "stumped" so they decided to send another dashboard for replacement today.

I've always been a GM guy. Hopefully I didn't make a bad decision.

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Seems they solved my issue, The ESS Battery has a relay, that fat battery cables get bolted on to. Seems when these lugs get bolted down.
The Nut has a habit of getting cross threaded!. They ordered the part, they found one at another dealer, and PS the service depts can do a search
and find the closest dealer that has the part in stock!.

Anyway, upon removal of said lugs to relay under battery near firewall. The nut would not come off as it was not tight and had to be ground off to put the new relay in. I did see a discrepancy between the ESS battery and the main battery. So I trickle charged the main battery and then using terminal N2 I fully charged the ESS smaller Battery.. Its been a few days now.
Will keep group in the loop. Its was Stetler dodge in York,pa. They found it and fixed it in a Day. Kinda happy about that, As I didn't buy it there!

Frank
Sponsored