Sponsored

Persistent Battery Charging

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I persistently get a "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging" message on the Stop/Start screen. I do not get any other messages on any other screens. The battery charge with engine off reads 12.6 and the battery/alt voltage while driving reads between 14.1 and 14.3. I have charged both together and independently to the 100% charge and the message persists. I am guessing that both batteries are AGM. These are the original batteries with a build date of July 2018.

Which battery does this message reference?

Thanks.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I persistently get a "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging" message on the Stop/Start screen. I do not get any other messages on any other screens. The battery charge with engine off reads 12.6 and the battery/alt voltage while driving reads between 14.1 and 14.3. I have charged both together and independently to the 100% charge and the message persists. I am guessing that both batteries are AGM. These are the original batteries with a build date of July 2018.

Which battery does this message reference?

Thanks.
Make sure your battery cables are tight, sometimes the ground works loose.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was consistently drawing 14.2v at highway speeds and i also always had the battery charging message. Iā€™d do hours long car drives and still wouldnā€™t be charged. Took the Jeep in for something else and told the dealer to check the batteries. They tested and said all was fine. Still didn't work. Brought it back in a few months later and mentioned it again and they replaced the aux battery.

I really donā€™t care if start/stop doesnā€™t work, I just didnā€™t want a bad battery bringing the other one down and being stuck one day.

mine consistently draws 13.8v now on the highway.

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Mine was consistently drawing 14.2v at highway speeds and i also always had the battery charging message. Iā€™d do hours long car drives and still wouldnā€™t be charged. Took the Jeep in for something else and told the dealer to check the batteries. They tested and said all was fine. Still didn't work. Brought it back in a few months later and mentioned it again and they replaced the aux battery.

I really donā€™t care if start/stop doesnā€™t work, I just didnā€™t want a bad battery bringing the other one down and being stuck one day.

mine consistently draws 13.8v now on the highway.
I think my situation is the same you faced. Would you happen to know what the aux battery specs are? I will probably replace both batteries and they would both be AGMs.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think my situation is the same you faced. Would you happen to know what the aux battery specs are? I will probably replace both batteries and they would both be AGMs.
Your vehicle is 2 years old. This should be covered by warranty. Head to your dealer and have them take care of it.

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Your vehicle is 2 years old. This should be covered by warranty. Head to your dealer and have them take care of it.
It is under warranty. My guess is that they will simply replace them with the same batteries. I am toying with replacing them myself but I cannot find the specs on the smaller battery. Thanks.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I'm taking mine in the morning for the second time to address this problem. I'll post the specifics of the runaround I get later so JeepCares can chime in and ask me to communicate in private. Also, if anyone knows of an aftermarket aux battery, I'd be very interested.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm taking mine in the morning for the second time to address this problem. I'll post the specifics of the runaround I get later so JeepCares can chime in and ask me to communicate in private. Also, if anyone knows of an aftermarket aux battery, I'd be very interested.
With that being said, chacomaya feel free to send us a private message if your would like to discuss you concerns.

Lamar
JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It is under warranty. My guess is that they will simply replace them with the same batteries. I am toying with replacing them myself but I cannot find the specs on the smaller battery. Thanks.
DanFelix,
If you decide to have your vehicle diagnosed and you feel that additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a direct message. We'd be glad to assist anyway we can.

Lamar
JeepCares

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With that being said, chacomaya feel free to send us a private message if your would like to discuss you concerns.

Lamar
JeepCares
Thank you, I will. They had to keep it overnight so we'll see what transpires today.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, I will. They had to keep it overnight so we'll see what transpires today.
Got the Jeep back this morning and indeed the aux battery was bad. Kudos to Lithia CJDR. No hassles. No runaround (like the last time). This makes 4 very good experiences with their service department and only the one unsatisfactory one.
Sponsored