"Performance Limited" Error code

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
The 2.0T is a high compression turbo engine. Performance limited means the engine is pulling back on the timing, due to pre-ignition or knocking (this is an octane problem). Many things can cause that, but most likely (and easiest to try) would be filling the tank with Premium fuel from a Top Tier rated gas station (https://toptiergas.com). I also own a high end OBD scanner and each vehicle control module can have a stored code which may not be displayed unless all the modules are specifically scanned (and those specific modules w/error codes can be cleared individually.)
My suggestion is try the better fuel and see if it stops displaying the performance pullback.

According to this list of Top Tier Fuel stations (https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/) Sheetz is not listed. So that fuel possibly may not meet the standards required for FCA.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Youā€™ll be hard pressed to find anyone who has fixed anything by pushing fuses that are making perfectly good contact down a bit further.

Your hatred of your fellow man is showing through here pretty strongly.
Unfortunately, this forum is littered with people having weird electrical faults 100% rectified by pushing the fuses in. Intermittent electrical issues are definitely a thing with a loose connection.
It's not like properly seating them will make things worse so the OP would be better off taking 2 minutes to do it.

Notwithstanding, the OP already reseated the fuses so it's moot at this point.

OP, you'll be happy (unhappy?) to know that you're the first one, on this forum anyway, to get this odd fault. Take that into account when being riddled with conjecture and WAGs. Personally at this point, I'd be bringing it in. The crappy part though is there is a very good chance you'll get the "we couldn't recreate the problem".

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
There have been cases where the wrong fuel has been offloaded from a tanker to a storage tank at a gas station. Like others have posted, try a tank of high octane (non-ethanol gas if you can find it).

There is another possibility... assuming there is an engine knock sensor, maybe the knock sensor is bad.

Another possibility is a sensor related to the boost system of the 2.0 Turbo

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Unfortunately, this forum is littered with people having weird electrical faults 100% rectified by pushing the fuses in. Intermittent electrical issues are definitely a thing with a loose connection.
It's not like properly seating them will make things worse so the OP would be better off taking 2 minutes to do it.

Notwithstanding, the OP already reseated the fuses so it's moot at this point.

OP, you'll be happy (unhappy?) to know that you're the first one, on this forum anyway, to get this odd fault. Take that into account when being riddled with conjecture and WAGs. Personally at this point, I'd be bringing it in. The crappy part though is there is a very good chance you'll get the "we couldn't recreate the problem".
No, you have a bunch of people who had a weird electrical issue, were then told to push on some fuses, did so, and the problem did not immediately reoccur. Then a month or two later they follow up with ā€œit happened again and they did a software updateā€ or something of the like.

Im surprised nobody in this thread has told the OP to let half the air out of her tires yet.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
No, you have a bunch of people who had a weird electrical issue, were then told to push on some fuses, did so, and the problem did not immediately reoccur. Then a month or two later they follow up with ā€œit happened again and they did a software updateā€ or something of the like.

Im surprised nobody in this thread has told the OP to let half the air out of her tires yet.
Well, anecdotal evidence aside (not sure if anyone has done any metered testing), loose electrical connections can be a nightmare to troubleshoot. There is just way too many leaving the factory with loose fuses to ignore. At worst, it's just good practice, at best, maybe, just maybe it sorted someones issues out.
You seem to be quite sure in that the loose fuses don't cause any issues........have you done actual testing to lead you to this conclusion? Not being a smart ass here, I am an electronics tech by trade and would love to see some nominals for sure. More so if it means I don't need to yank my PDU to do it myself lol.

There are definitely owners on here that reseating the fuses sorted them out right away, literally after they did that. That is just a bit more of a coincidence than I would like to swallow, especially with anything electrical.

Anyway, at the end of the day, checking fuses is just good practice and to be honest, I'm not sure why you would suggest otherwise for people with electrical issues, unless of course it's your job to make sure those fuses are tight coming from factory in which case, you got some splainin' to do. ;)

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
In all seriousness, can you link a thread where somebody fixed electrical issues by pushing their fuses in? I've been active on this board for a few years and don't recall one. There has been various posts about fuses being loose from the factory, yes. That's common. I don't think any of those posts had any issues though, their fuses were just looser than they should've been.

Also, I agree with checking fuses first just to be certain. Every owner should be familiar with that area, the fuse box isn't as intimidating as it may sound for owners that haven't opened it. However, it's not her issue and it accounts for a very small amount of, if any, electrical issues on this board.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
In all seriousness, can you link a thread where somebody fixed electrical issues by pushing their fuses in? I've been active on this board for a few years and don't recall one. There has been various posts about fuses being loose from the factory, yes. That's common. I don't think any of those posts had any issues though, their fuses were just looser than they should've been.

Also, I agree with checking fuses first just to be certain. Every owner should be familiar with that area, the fuse box isn't as intimidating as it may sound for owners that haven't opened it. However, it's not her issue and it accounts for a very small amount of, if any, electrical issues on this board.
Honestly, while I am sure I have seen it, finding a specific thread with "loose fuse" in any search term is about the same as looking for a specific Tazer or Threedom thread. ;)

In saying that, maybe it isn't an issue, I'm not sure. If I have learned anything on working with electronics (other than it is ALWAYS a bad ground;) ), is that you make sure all loose connections are dealt with prior to troubleshooting, otherwise you and your multimeter are going to hate each other.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
If it were mine......I would run the existing fuel out of the tank, looking for someone with a scanner that could pull a code.Then a would fill the tank with the best premium fuel I could find. I am sorry you are having this problem.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A software update is the most likely solution on a brand new vehicle setting no codes.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmmm....

Maybe I'll try filling at Sam's with Premium for shits and gigs. Couldn't hurt.
We filled with premium in our 2.0 turbo JLU. We never saw that warning

I hope you've solved your problem now. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

mxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 2.0T Rubicon
Any update on this?
We are also having this same 'performance limited, service fuel system' message pop up on our 2022 Wrangler 2.0T. Has popped up a half dozen times and only stays on for a few seconds. Have also tried running premium gas through it with no change. Weather has been really cold and crappy up here since we got the new Jeep a few weeks ago. Never had this message pop up on our old 2020 Wrangler 2.0T. Will be taking it in to the dealer next week but am doubtful they will find anything wrong.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
hereā€™s a picture of it. I sent it to my sales guy who talked with his service department who told him to tell me, ā€œweā€™ve never seen that before. drive it today and let us know if it happens again.ā€ He filled up my tank with 85 in CO which should be equivalent to 87 elsewhere which is okay by the manual. I put my first tank in today from Costco and used 91. Iā€™m at 320 miles. I noticed it when I went into manual mode and was shifting, I saw it three times. I also noticed today after filling up that while coasting in the Costco parking lot, it was acting like a manual trans car where you just accelerate and then let off the gas and the vehicle jerks forward and back. Junk jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL "Performance Limited" Error code 2136DB82-7033-4AFE-9831-90CDB0978C90

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Iā€™ll be doing some winter wheeling trails tomorrow, see what breaks. šŸ˜– Iā€™m under full bumper to bumper and the dealer didnā€™t say, ā€œomg! Bring it in immediately!!ā€ So Iā€™m going to run it like JEEPS are intended to be ran, on trails, use it for everything it can do and if it blows up, NMP. Interesting the folks seeing this though all with the 2.0.

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I just got 2022 Rubicon and same message popped up. Just broke 200 miles. Still on the tank filled at dealership.

I don't think it's fuel with so many ppl having the problem

Last edited:

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Did my 2nd winter wheeling trip today. Iā€™m at 400miles now. It popped up a couple more times on the drive home, this time it popped up and disappeared too fast to snap a picture. Luckily I was able to get it previously so the dealer knows Iā€™m not crazy. I might contact the dealer this week. Iā€™m now running 91 instead of the 85 the dealer put in. It did certainly seem that my performance n the trails was degraded today. Trying to rev up and spin the wheels to get through deep snow and it almost seemed bogged down. I wonder if @JeepCares could monitor this. Seems to be more than a one off, although not really a HUGE number of folks reporting it compared to how many Jeeps were actually delivered.
Sponsored