Penny for your thoughts.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I have done quite a bit to mine. It is an addiction. That being said, everything I have done has had some functional purpose.
1. Installed Soft Top
2. Bartact seat covers
3. Carolina Metal Masters grab bar mirrors. I originally purchased the JPeggz. Wasn't real crazy obout them. I am looking to get rid of them.
4. Rubicon wheels and tires
5. Rubicon Steel bumper
6. Rugged Ridge Nautic 12,500 winch. That was the grand prize at last years JeepQuest in Sevierville. Which incidentally started the snow ball of bumpers, tires etc.
7. Synthetic rope for the winch
8. Engel 35qt Fridge/Freezer
9. Jackery 500
10. JTops Sun shade
11. RainGear Cover
12. Ram Mount pieces that are on back order
13. I have a Rubicon suspension, not sure if I'm going to install.
14. GoPro Hero 4

So what category do I fall in? I did do all the installs myself.
JeepQuest? When it's this? Hopefully, the Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion isn't cancelled this year :like:
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
99% of things are bought, not built. I do not consider it build, if you jumped on the net, and ordered up a bunch parts and bolted it on.

Built is making and fabricating your own parts. If you are not milling, welding, hammering, bending, you are just buying. Some guys build their own bumpers....... That hardly make your Jeep built.
That's what the saying means, though. Build it yourself or..........well, something.

I dunno, I enjoy working with my hands and making stuff. Really I should be glad others can't or won't do this 'cause then they have to pay me to do it. Skilled labor and craftsman are dying off, but then again that makes me more valuable.

Everyone can spend their $ as they choose, and if they wanna give it to me.........who am I to refuse it? :D

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That's what the saying means, though. Build it yourself or..........well, something.

I dunno, I enjoy working with my hands and making stuff. Really I should be glad others can't or won't do this 'cause then they have to pay me to do it. Skilled labor and craftsman are dying off, but then again that makes me more valuable.

Everyone can spend their $ as they choose, and if they wanna give it to me.........who am I to refuse it? :D
Make that money. I have several friends that are skilled trades for GM. They have incredible skill sets for design and building. I ask one about doing a custom front bumper for me, and he was like, yeah I can do it, but a one off custom bumper will be time consuming and hey, you can go buy good quality stuff for under a thousand... Please do that.

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
An automobile in America represents Freedom.
A Jeep Wrangler takes this metaphor to the highest level.
Built, bolted on, modded, or bone stock-it is all about you and your personal expression. Make it Your’s and wave at every Jeep you pass!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
They say “real” Jeeps are built not bought, what say you?
I don’t know what it means now, but back when we were kids, it was a saying we often used when we crossed paths with the silver spoon trust fund kids. We would buy our Jeeps, fj40s , dirt bikes , etc... from junk yards, or peoples backyard with grass or weeds growing over them, and rebuild them. The rich kids were out there in there brand new, 4x4shop customized with a lot of chrome, and bling, rigs.

Often times laughing and giggling at us. So from having this chip on our shoulder we often spray painted ( with a stencil) or wrote with shoe polish, “ Built not Bought “ on out tailgate or windshield. Then when windshield banners came out, we’d save up and buy those. It was very gratifying when we would make it through obstacles they wouldn’t try, but we never laughed at them, we just said see ya later...........:)

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

buy one, take it out and use it. if you dont like somthing make changes to your style. " built and bought"

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hmm. Real Jeeps win wars and battle disasters. Everything else is an Ice Cream Soldier. IMHO.

Sponsored

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I had a built Jeep, but I had to buy it first. They made fun of my "Just Kidding" and it was a '12. I lifted it, installed a winch, metal bumpers, wheels, and a ton of little things. Then the front bearings went tits up. Replaced em. And the rzeppa joints ate dirt. Replaced the driveshafts for Adam's with u-joints. Then the brakes locked up. And I replaced the pads and cleaned the calipers. Then the caliper seals failed. Then the transmission started dropping out of gear. Then I traded all of that for a JLUR. Give me a ration all you want, but this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of the JK. I Love it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
They has a lot of sayings.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
They say “real” Jeeps are built not bought, what say you?
I do believe mine is both. It was built in the plant up north in Toledo O-H, right off I-75, and I bought it at a dealership in Mason, OH. If it's not real then where the hell is my money going?

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)
Well, i'm enjoying the heck out of my stock Willys - it does everything i need it to do for now :)
Sponsored