Sponsored

Buying a Rubi. What are your thoughts?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I think your family/friends life is what should determine the number of doors. As for the color... I love the red. Not a fan of the muted colors. I would only go red or white, honestly.
Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Hey jeep peeps,

So I convinced the wifey to take my JLU sport and I'm pulling the trigger on a Rubi. What color should i get and should i keep 4 doors or buy a 2 door shorty. Please help a fella out with opinions and pics

Thank you
4 door is the right choice you will have so much more room Yes the two door is more nimble but the 4 door will give you much more room and options

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I bought my Rubi for the sole purpose of going off road in the CO mountains. Without the back seat it has plenty of room for stuff. Love the soft top and ability to go naked in minutes. I just love this Jeep!

20190922_144939.jpg

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Hey jeep peeps,

So I convinced the wifey to take my JLU sport and I'm pulling the trigger on a Rubi. What color should i get and should i keep 4 doors or buy a 2 door shorty. Please help a fella out with opinions and pics

Thank you
It's really personal preference and if you need 4 doors or not. The 2 door is better for trails and rock climbing because the shorter wheelbase won't get high centered as easy and it can make tighter turns.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I had to search a while to find a Rubicon with what I wanted (Rubi drive train, etc.; 6sp man trans; hard top) while not loaded ($$) with what I didn't care about (most of the rest).
Make sure you get the 7.0" instrument cluster, not the 3.5" (tho maybe the smaller is never put in a Rubi). And the Uconnect display you want.
2D vs 4D? Depends on how much you want/need to carry. 2D are pretty small tho arguably the real deal (I like my JLU).
Color. Anything as long as you like it, or at least don't dislike it. Hellayella has grown on me. And I never have a problem spotting it in a parking lot.

Sponsored

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hey jeep peeps,

Thank you
Two door granite and must be a Rubicon. Maybe four door if you have a family.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Bad news guys... now my wife is pushing for a 2021 kia Telluride ugh. There goes my rubi chance. How can I change her mind. Help me out
Talk her into trading the Sport in on whatever she wants and get a Rubi. Then, everyone is happy, including this forum.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
wow. Above msrp. I had no idea a kia would be a status symbol.....
Yeah, I was shocks when I learned it was selling for a premium.

It's not any status to me. Like I said, not my cup of tea. I prefer a Wrangler even knowing it's rated as less reliable then a Kia product. I don't consider a Wrangler a status symbol either.

Something in high demand does not have to be a status symbol. Just look at toilet paper recently. lol.

Last edited:

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was shocks when I learned it was selling for a premium.

It's not any status to me. Like I said, not my cup of tea.I prefer a Wrangler knowing it's rated as less reliable then a Kia product. I don't consider a Wrangler a status symbol either.

Something in high demand does not have to be a status symbol. Just look at toilet paper recently. lol.
You're absolutely right!

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
Here is ours. Wife picked Bikini Pearl. I have to admit I liked it after I saw it and there are not many around here. I would have liked the diesel, since it is her daily it was not as practical for her. Diesel is not available at ever station we use.

IMG_0685.JPG
Like the wheels how far do they poke out? Do you have a lift and if so which one? Can you post more pictures side shots and down the side?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
TL;DR: This is my 3rd Jeep, second Rubicon, since 2003. I have zero regrets- but I'm what you would call a "lifer". if I wasn't driving a Jeep, it'd be another old, solid axle, 4x4 for off road use.

I bought my first Jeep in 2003. it was a 98 TJ sport. I built it, wheeled it, broke it, and repeated that process until it needed frame work due to rust and pinion bearings in the front axle. at that point it made more sense for me to put the money toward my second Jeep ('04 Rubicon, bought used in 2013), because I needed something more able to daily drive. The difference between my stock Rubi and heavily built sport was amazing. The low gearing in the axles and transfer case, the locking diffs, coupled with all the parts I was able to transfer from my old Jeep made it an insanely capable rig.

I traded that Jeep in December of 2018 When I picked up my '19JLUR. My current Jeep is a family hauling weekend warrior with zero regrets. My plan is to build this for daily driving, road trips, and some decent off road use (some of my favorite trails are difficult, technical trails). I've seen others having some issues on this forum, but I haven't really had any major yet. Cracked windshield, replaced under warranty, and some minor bugs here and there, that I was able to smooth out with some minor trouble shooting. Mostly because I absolutely hate dropping my vehicle off at dealerships and wasting all day while people who have no idea what they're talking about argue with technicians who (sometimes) have no idea what they are talking about as well, or being told "You're going to have to drop it off, and we'll get back to you when it's ready." Abso-f#$%^ing-lutely not. I work nights and I have a wife and a small child (soon to be 2 small children) at home. I need my vehicle. I'd rather save myself the frustration, especially since I'm considered "essential" now, in the midst of this whole pandemic situation.

I've said it elsewhere, I'll use the warranty if I have to but at this point, I've got the tools, knowledge, and technical abilities to fix a decent amount of issues, and if it's beyond my abilities, I have enough friends and know enough shops that can hook me up. I love my Jeep, I plan to use it, and I don't sweat the small stuff, only major component failure.

Buy the Jeep. With proper tires, even a bare bones base model will shock you with where it can go. The Rubicon just gets you farther down the potential build path from day 1. I'll never own another non-Rubi Jeep unless I'm going full on Race Jeep/ Buggy or I want a classic 4x4.

I admit FCA quality control and dealer customer service could be better. Finding a qualified dealer seems to be the biggest challenge. They have a warranty and a available Mopar Extended Warranty if needed. Personally I have not had issues yet after a little more then a year.

Why get on a Wrangler forum telling someone not to buy one? Maybe peruse lemon law if you got a bad one and just move on? I hope you get fair resolution with whatever your issues are.
Check the post history. 7/8 of his posts are complaints. Aside from the granted FCA Quality control and dealer customer service, the rest is just empty salt about the same stuff. Maybe it's because I've had some real breakages, or maybe it's because I've driven some real pieces of $h!t- Maybe a little of both. Honestly, they seem like issues that are getting sorted out by the dealer. Granted, I can count the amount of "satisfactory" dealership experiences I've had in my lifetime on one hand (see above), but that's not just an FCA problem, that's an industry problem, and another conversation for another thread.