Pay for warranty work??

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
My dealership has a Chad or Brad that washes the mud from Jeeps that have been used, before work is done.
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Time out.

Many people have said they have had dealerships say something similar before. This is probably the dealership saying that if it's found to be abuse, they will have to charge.

OP: Ask the dealership to clarify that point.
Thats fair, I was taking OP's word for it. Especially since he wrote a few times that the dealer texted him saying they were going to charge $$/hr

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Thats fair, I was taking OP's word for it. Especially since he wrote a few times that the dealer texted him saying they were going to charge $$/hr
Right, but I've had service advisors say something that managers later had to clarify.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

well, i wouldn't trust a Chrysler Dealer either. i do my own work and eat it unless something major happens. I bought a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7L truck didnt put tons a miles a year for the first couple years. well at 44K miles i started getting a narly little knocking noise under the hood. When i bought the truck it only saw the dealer for all service. oil change and everything. when i started to complain about the noise from the motor i was told by 3 dealers that " this is how the hemi sounds" yet every hemi i plulled next to or parked near didnt have that knocking noise. after another month of it knockin i went back to the first dealer and told them i want full refund on the truck or the truck fixed. i was ready to go for lemon law. come to find out piston 4 and 7 had piston slap and the motor needed to be replaced. they put the new motor in under warranty while the truck was in the shop i realized the day after i was to pick it up my warranty was to expire. these turds try to get me to drive it past my warranty date so they wouldn't have to fix the damn problem. I mean the same dealer that did all my so called oil changes and major maintenance work. but i will say i never paid nor have to sign anypaper work saying i had to cover any money. Watch the dealers when they work on your car.. i even gotten to the point that i used paint markers to make sure they put a wrench on the oil drain plug and paint on the filter so i know it was changed and not wiped down to look "new"

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I've never never paid for warranty work. You have a :asshat: dealer.
I guess you're not under standing the gist of this thread. It's not that the OP is having to pay for warranty work. Everyone seems to have their undies in a bunch over the dealer asking him to agree to a diagnostic fee to determine if said repair will or will not be covered under warranty.

1. It's super muddy on the outside. I've never really washed it.
The OP mentioned that he brought it in dirty and muddy. While you would think it should not raise a red flag it's this sort of thing that does. Dealers and Jeep are not stupid. The know that Jeep's go off road, they also know that the most damage occurs to these vehicles when they're taken off road which is likely why they are asking the O/P to agree to a diagnostic fee. Again, he is not charged if it is covered under warranty, only if it is determined that the issue/failure was caused by something else. If the OP is that confident he is not the cause of the issue/failure he has nothing to worry about.

I'd also hazard a guess that the service adviser did a horse shit job of explaining things to the OP or else he wouldn't be on the forum complaining about it. Each dealer is going to be different in that respect.

I mentioned before about the transmission issues on my wife's truck, the dealer that performed the repair was the second dealer we had brought it to, our preferred dealer that we have most all of our services done at. When the truck initially broke down we had it towed to the the nearest dealer a few blocks from our home. It was there that we seemed to get the run around. The SA throwing around that the modifications likely caused the issues with the truck (3" lift, 37's and a 91 octane tune) and it was likely that our warranty was going be voided. This was before a technician even looked at the truck. Even with the truck covered under the 5yr/100k power train warranty and the lifetime maxcare warranty I still needed to agree to a diagnostic fee of $150 for the initial inspection. It wasn't until the computer started throwing more trans codes and not shifting that they came back and indicated that I'd have to agree a $500 tear down fee of the transmission so they could get to the root cause of the issue. With the level of incompetence they had exhibited to that point I said no thank you and drove my truck home (in 1st gear) and called my preferred dealer for advice and ultimately had it towed 41 miles to them two weeks later.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where is there a clause that says "if its muddy refuse warranty work?"

OP: I would say get into contact with JeepCares or higher and work with them, it's obvious your dealer is not very friendly.
How are they refusing warranty work? They are just asking the OP to agree to a diagnostic fee to make a determination of what the issue is. If it's covered under warranty, he doesn't pay. If it's not, he's on the hook, it's pretty simple.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Check of the Wrangler Forum JK section. There are multiple threads where warranty work was denied, or warranties were voided, due to signs that the vehicle had been offroad.

FCA advertises it as an offroad vehicle, however will void warranties if the jeep is used as advertised... Each dealership is different and varies on how firm or lax they are about this.
I remember when the Mitsubishi EVO came out in the states (AWD turbo sports car) and they were documenting license plates at tracks and drag strips to future void warranty claims.
How are they refusing warranty work? They are just asking the OP to agree to a diagnostic fee to make a determination of what the issue is. If it's covered under warranty, he doesn't pay. If it's not, he's on the hook, it's pretty simple.
Sounds like when they are saying they want $$$/Hr that they are looking for up front work. Am I looking at this wrong? Should I not believe what OP is saying? Or am I just totally out of left field and haven't had my coffee today?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My leased 2018 JLU with 5000 miles lost power the other day so I had it towed to the local dealership. They called me yesterday to say there is a leak in the (manual) transmission and that due to Chrysler rules I have to authorize them to charge me at $135/hour for 9 hours just to investigate it in case there was abuse. I refused even though I'm the only person who drives it so I know 100% there has been no abuse.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?? It's a lease and under warranty!

Sounds like when they are saying they want $$$/Hr that they are looking for up front work. Am I looking at this wrong? Should I not believe what OP is saying? Or am I just totally out of left field and haven't had my coffee today?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You might need another cup of coffee of three... ;)

As far as I'm aware, no dealer will charge you before any work is performed. They are however required to ask you to agree to a diagnostic fee depending on what the issue is that they're looking into. They're protecting themselves in the event that what they find is not covered under warranty, they can recoup the cost for the time the technician spent diagnosing the issue.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
You might need another cup of coffee of three... ;)

As far as I'm aware, no dealer will charge you before any work is performed. They are however required to ask you to agree to a diagnostic fee depending on what the issue is that they're looking into. They're protecting themselves in the event that what they find is not covered under warranty, they can recoup the cost for the time the technician spent diagnosing the issue.
Ya, that makes sense. Has OP clarified? Perhaps my discontent with my last trip to Jeep (st charles, IL) stained my opinion and bias.

BTW, glendale heights ain't far from me. Hello local member!

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, that makes sense. Has OP clarified? Perhaps my discontent with my last trip to Jeep (st charles, IL) stained my opinion and bias.

BTW, glendale heights ain't far from me. Hello local member!
HA, I didn't even catch that. I've never had any personal experience with St Charles CDJR, however the tow truck driver who hauled my wife's Ram down to Tinley Park seemed to think they were pretty good. I guess that is not the case.

Since you're local, I'd suggest avoiding DuPage CDJR like a crazy ex-girlfriend or an STD. In ten years I've yet to have a good experience with them. Every few years I try throwing them a bone since they seem to go through ownership or management changes regularly and yeah, they still suck.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, back your regularly scheduled "dealerships suck bitch fest".

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
HA, I didn't even catch that. I've never had any personal experience with St Charles CDJR, however the tow truck driver who hauled my wife's Ram down to Tinley Park seemed to think they were pretty good. I guess that is not the case.

Since you're local, I'd suggest avoiding DuPage CDJR like a crazy ex-girlfriend or an STD. In ten years I've yet to have a good experience with them. Every few years I try throwing them a bone since they seem to go through ownership or management changes regularly and yeah, they still suck.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, back your regularly scheduled "dealerships suck bitch fest".
Lol no I get it but I guess I'm just spoiled by my local small town dealer. They've never given me the diagnostic fee speech. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding and he gets it figured out.

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
A lot of differing opinions in this thread but it sounds like the consensus is coming around that it's ok for the dealer to require me to authorize a $1000+ diagnostic charge in case the damage isn't covered under warranty. I never would have suspected that. I thought a leased vehicle under warranty is dropped off at the dealer with a problem and picked up with the problem fixed. Silly me. I guess this means I'll be giving them my credit card and signing some form if I ever want the Jeep back. Meanwhile I'm still making the lease payments.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of differing opinions in this thread but it sounds like the consensus is coming around that it's ok for the dealer to require me to authorize a $1000+ diagnostic charge in case the damage isn't covered under warranty. I never would have suspected that. I thought a leased vehicle under warranty is dropped off at the dealer with a problem and picked up with the problem fixed. Silly me. I guess this means I'll be giving them my credit card and signing some form if I ever want the Jeep back. Meanwhile I'm still making the lease payments.
It's more that they think it may have been abused. For a leased vehicle, I'm certain they wouldn't want you off-roading it since it's not your vehicle, you're just renting it (in essence). If this weren't a leased vehicle they may not even bat an eyelash.

Still, call them to make sure that is what they are saying. Better to be safe than sorry.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't get it. What is the issue? You're not being charged anything up front. They're simply asking you to agree to pay said diagnostic fee if the issues is not covered under warranty. As I mentioned a few times already, I had to agree to a $500 tear down on my wife's Ram 2500 which has a 3" lift and 37's. Once they dropped the pan they saw the cracked valve body and wrote it up as warranty repair and I was not on the hook for any charges or diagnostic fee's.

If you are confident you are not the cause of the issue or failure, put on your big boy pants, agree to what the dealer is asking and let them diagnose the issue. You are only on the hook if the issue is a result of abnormal use, abuse or not a defect in the materials or workmanship of the part.