Pay for warranty work??

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
All this complaining that they can’t do this, umm they can.

Under warranty or not, they need authorization to inspect the vehicle to determine if the issue falls under warranty or not. If it is a warranty item, you don’t get charged, your junk gets fixed and you go on your merry little way.

Honestly I don’t know what all the damn whining is about. I just dealt with the similar issue with my wife’s Ram 2500 where the transmission went out, the only difference was her junk has a 3” lift and 37’s so we had an added dynamic of potentially having to prove the modifications were not the cause. In any case we had to agree to a $500 tear town so they could determine the cause of the failure. If the failure was a defect, no issues, no out of pocket my junk gets fixed. If not a defect, then we would be on the hook for the $500 which would effectively go towards the repair if we had them fix the truck. Ultimately they found that the cause of the issue was a cracked valve body which was covered under warranty and no out of pocket by us.

Moral of the story, if you’re confident you are not the cause of the issue, put on your big boy pants, agree to the diagnostic fee and let them figure out what is wrong with your junk. If it truly is a warranty item, you will not be out anything. If it’s not under warranty, then yes you’re on the hook for the diagnostic fee.
I have the Mopar warranty on my Ram. I've been asked to do this at my dealership too. I authorize the work. If it is found to be warranty, I don't pay, if it isn't I do. Pretty straightforward. What am I missing here? Why is everyone pissed at the dealer? If you broke it you're going to have to pay to fix it. If you didn't you wont. Whats your other option? Let the truck sit in your driveway broke?

Are you saying the dealership is going to charge you to diagnose it, and if it is covered by warranty they will cover fixing it but you have to pay for the diagnostic work? If so, then yes the dealership is wrong. I'm guessing you misunderstood the dealership.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I've never never paid for warranty work. You have a :asshat: dealer.

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Agreed, if you didn't break it then why not authorize them to tear it down.
Because I don't trust them.

How would anyone break a transmission anyway? Hitting a rock or modifying it are the only things I can think of and those should be visible without disassembling it.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
You don't trust the dealership. Simple. Have it towed to another one and quit being a bitch about it. If they aren't going to charge you upfront, and you didn't do anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. It sounds to me like they are being upfront about any fees and charges that could be assessed to you if you did do something wrong.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I drive down two dirt roads to get to my work. When it rains, there are times it looks pretty muddy, and the undercarriage is worse. That's how.
Yeah, this is exactly what I was going to say. It’s easy to have a filthy Jeep just by hitting some dirt road puddles. And if it’s part of your daily drive to work I can understand why you wouldn’t have a clean jeep when it happened to break down. It’s too late now but lesson for next time is clean it before taking it in to avoid suspicion of actually off-roading in your 4x4 vehicle! The horror!

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Because I don't trust them.

How would anyone break a transmission anyway? Hitting a rock or modifying it are the only things I can think of and those should be visible without disassembling it.

This exactly. Presumption of "abuse" does not automatically get assigned to the client. Dealership should be tearing it down and if they find something "abusive" then it can be addressed at that point. Everyone should be assuming warranty work at the onset.

BTW, that dealers website looks sketchy AF. Not a single pic of any staff, and a big long diatribe about "living by the Golden Rule". (with no golden rule exceptions about muddy jeeps)

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this is exactly what I was going to say. It’s easy to have a filthy Jeep just by hitting some dirt road puddles. And if it’s part of your daily drive to work I can understand why you wouldn’t have a clean jeep when it happened to break down. It’s too late now but lesson for next time is clean it before taking it in to avoid suspicion of actually off-roading in your 4x4 vehicle! The horror!
It's worse here in Virginia with that red clay. I've had it rooster tail up from my front wheels and absolutely cover the sides, and splash over the hood if it's a puddle that's deeper than it looks. In my case, it's a black Jeep, so it always looks worse than it is. Not sure about the color of OP's Jeep, though.

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It’s too late now but lesson for next time is clean it before taking it in to avoid suspicion of actually off-roading in your 4x4 vehicle! The horror!
Does offroading void the warranty or something?

What I could have done wrong besides hitting a rock or modifying something?

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

No, off-roading in general doesn’t void the warranty. I’m not sure exactly how they define or determine “excessive use” but like you said, blatant evidence of a rock puncturing the transmission would be a start and since you don’t have that I don’t think they have a leg to stand on.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps

Check of the Wrangler Forum JK section. There are multiple threads where warranty work was denied, or warranties were voided, due to signs that the vehicle had been offroad.

FCA advertises it as an offroad vehicle, however will void warranties if the jeep is used as advertised... Each dealership is different and varies on how firm or lax they are about this.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Where is there a clause that says "if its muddy refuse warranty work?"

OP: I would say get into contact with JeepCares or higher and work with them, it's obvious your dealer is not very friendly.
Time out.

Many people have said they have had dealerships say something similar before. This is probably the dealership saying that if it's found to be abuse, they will have to charge.

OP: Ask the dealership to clarify that point.
Sponsored