Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

While we're sharing opinions, I think it's beyond terrible - it's HORRIFIC. Let's do a little exercise here:

$79,628 plus another $6k for tax and licensing. Let's assume $20,000 down. On a 7 year loan at the going rate for an average credit score you're looking at $965 per month. That's more than twice my mortgage on a house I bought in 2003 before the first housing bubble exploded (I put 20% down on the house).

There are all sorts of opinions on how much of monthly post-tax income should go towards a car payment, but a widely accepted maximum is 15% of monthly take home pay, since you still have fuel, insurance and maintenance to go along with shelter, food, and every other monthly expense.

So, assuming 15% of take home pay, you'd have to be taking home $6,500 per month. Factoring in taxes of about 22% per year, you'd have to be grossing over $100,000 per year to afford the Jeep. The median income of a US worker is $42,000, not even half of what's needed for the Jeep. Only 9% of US workers earn 6 figures or more. And remember, the $100k number is the BARE MINIMUM you'd need to earn to afford the Jeep.
Horrific that not everyone can afford the top-end Jeep??
Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Horrific that not everyone can afford the top-end Jeep??
No, just that it's a horrific price, in my opinion. We all have them. I don't begrudge people who can easily afford them. That's not my point.

BTW, I don't want a 392. Period. My days of fuel guzzlers are in the past. I'm looking for a little 2.0.

Deleted member 59498

So they no longer give a price break with the 2.0? Used to be a little cheaper than the 3.6, or I might be wrong on that.

Jack22

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep rubicon
Why is it so difficult to purchase/order a 392 in Canada?? If anyone has some insight please let me know. Thanks

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
$101k Canadian, not US.
True, but don't forget that Canada has a 13% tax rate on new vehicles. Combined that with the fact that their inflation rate and pay rate is even worse than in the US. My wife is from Canada, so when we go up to visit her family, I'm floored at how expensive stuff is. They have it bad.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

True, but don't forget that Canada has a 13% tax rate on new vehicles. Combined that with the fact that their inflation rate and pay rate is even worse than in the US. My wife is from Canada, so when we go up to visit her family, I'm floored at how expensive stuff is. They have it bad.
That's pretty damn high.

I was reading an article about how a lot of people that buy supercars register them in Wyoming since that have no emissions testing and no personal property taxes on vehicles. There's a whole industry that has popped up to set up an LLC there for you and manage the car licensing issues.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Why is it so difficult to purchase/order a 392 in Canada?? If anyone has some insight please let me know. Thanks
It's not? Just go to a dealer and order one. Then wait.

Our taxes are province based. Between 5%-15%. It's a mixture of federal and provincial tax rates unless you're in a province that doesn't have provincial tax, like Alberta (5%)
I can't be bothered to look up inflation/pay rates but I bet if a currency conversion is done, we are pretty standard with most countries.
I wouldn't say "we have it bad". While our healthcare system isn't perfect, you also don't have to worry about taking an Uber to the hospital or having to declare bankruptcy after having a kid. We also have some of the best social programs in the world. I don't mind my taxes going into stuff like that.
There is a multitude of other reasons but we are venturing into politics and that doesn't fly in here.

Oh, and weed is 100% legal. ;) To the point that there are more cannabis stores than Tim Hortons now. Lol. That says a lot. To be honest, it's a little out of control and I am a medicinal user. (as Veteran with service injuries, I get 3g a day, for life, free)

Want to talk where Canadians have it bad? Let's talk about the absolute shit show of costs getting stuff shipped here from the US. It's absolutely brutal.

Last edited:

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
I wouldn't say "we have it bad". While our healthcare system isn't perfect, you also don't have to worry about taking an Uber to the hospital or having to declare bankruptcy after having a kid. We also have some do the best social programs in the world. I don't mind my taxes going into stuff like that.
This is true. I wasn't ripping on you guys up north. Her family is in New Brunswick, and I do enjoy it when were up. Bagged milk tho......I still can't get my head around it 😄

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is true. I wasn't ripping on you guys up north. Her family is in New Brunswick, and I do enjoy it when were up. Bagged milk tho......I still can't get my head around it 😄
Lmao. Go to Alberta. They have jugs there.

I didn't get the gist you were ripping on us, just wanted to clarify a couple things. All good dude.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting posts in this thread. Made me want to go and see how much more expensive my JLUSS would be today versus in 2021. I'm the second owner (bought it when it was 7 months old w/ 7k miles) and the sticker was $44,215 and a new '23 equipped (basically) the same is $48,735, which I don't think includes destination, which was $1,495 in 2021. So if you remove destination, you get $42,720, which makes the '23 $6015 more expensive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've posted this on other threads, but my almost-loaded 2018 JLUR (has everything except heated leather seats) stickered for less than a 2021 Unlimited Willys. It was also much easier to shave a good $10k off the MSRP with little effort back then, too.

I feel bad for folks buying Jeeps right now.

kirianjahiem

First Name
kirian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
When speccing my 2023, I asked three separate dealers to build it with stock wheels; each individually confirmed they were unable to do so in their actual order system, and were instead forced to check the optional wheel box - the so-called standard wheels were not configurable.

Speed Test

Last edited:

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I feel bad for folks buying Jeeps right now.

I actually don't. They're the ones driving up the prices. Nobody needs a new Jeep. NOBODY. So they are willingly pushing prices through the roof. Until these "pay anything" people are exhausted, prices will continue to climb. We're also finding out that a lot of the people buying new vehicles over the course of the past couple years were buying things way out of their price range, and are paying sometimes 50% of their gross income for them, and also have over 150% loan to value. Total debt junkies.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I actually don't. They're the ones driving up the prices. Nobody needs a new Jeep. NOBODY. So they are willingly pushing prices through the roof. Until these "pay anything" people are exhausted, prices will continue to climb. We're also finding out that a lot of the people buying new vehicles over the course of the past couple years were buying things way out of their price range, and are paying sometimes 50% of their gross income for them, and also have over 150% loan to value. Total debt junkies.
Source?
Sponsored