Oops while taking door off

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
The door check arm, when disconnected to accommodate door removal, etc., can retract inside the door, particularly if the door is closed carelessly.

Pulling the check arm back out to reattach it can require considerable leverage, particularly if the arm has retracted fully into the door. The owner can spend time playing with weird solutions like string, quickly use a purpose-built tool, or do whatever else in order to extend the check arm. He can also remember what he's doing next time so as to avoid hearing new and possibly expensive sounds when allowing the door(s) to slam closed.
So what other than just paying attention is the solution for avoiding this
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Jason, the pictures in post #12 makes it pretty plain that anything that fits -- 550 cord, a bolt, etc. -- can be threaded through the hole on the end of the door check arm, so as to prevent it from retracting fully inside the door, and/or make it easier to pull the arm back out.

I did poke gentle fun at Little Dog's post, but his use of a shoelace for this matter is in fact a functional one.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Hi all, newbie here. Took doors off for the first time. The little arm on the inside door where the third screw is got smashed into it's hole when the wind closed the door after I unscrewed it. Any tips to bring it back out? It's also a rental...
Buy a long screwdriver and stick it through all the holes where the screw goes. You’ll have to close the door some times get them to line up. Crank the door open while holding the bracket there with the screwdriver. This should provide you with enough leverage to pull the arm back out.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The owner can play around with weird solutions like string, use a purpose-built tool, and so on

I recommend upgrading to at least twine. Maybe a nice jute. Sisal gets everywhere.

@FLjeeper Some people push them in for storage so they don't get caught on things.

I sometimes detach them, so I can swing the doors all the way open for loading items or working on something, but you need to pull the strap and cable too.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I recommend upgrading to at least twine. Maybe a nice jute. Sisal gets everywhere.
Fun Fact: The stereotypical smell we associate with the weathered interior of old British roadsters is in fact the jute used in the upholstery, itself also pretty aged.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Thanks for the advice, Sorry to the OP for derailing, good luck with your issue.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I did the same thing the first time I pulled the doors off of my Jeep. I removed the bolt from the check arm first, then closed the door to get the hinge bolts. D'oh! Total Homer Simpson moment, I ended up doing what others have mentioned. I got it out enough to thread the bolt in a few threads and carefully opened it. After that I started paying more attention, like removing the check arm last right before lifting the door out of the hinges.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Fun Fact: The stereotypical smell we associate with the weathered interior of old British roadsters is in fact the jute used in the upholstery, itself also pretty aged.

Thanks for sharing this, it makes so much sense.

No wonder homes don't smell as 'homey' as I remember, and instead more like ineffective "fire retardant" couch cushions.

Huh, a hot sheet metal and jute twine air freshener sounds pretty good.

Last edited:

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Its not like it was done on purpose....

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i push mine in all the way when i store them. NOt issues using the bolt to pull it back out.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I would love if I could push them in and leave them in so it saves a door removal and install step.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Yup, take one door completely off at a time. It may seem faster to rotate through them all and remove and disconnect everything, but that just leaves more unsecured doors swinging around where you can accidentally close them and cause this. But as other posters have said, they arent terribly difficult to pull back out, and when storing it would be better to not have them extended where they can be bent when moving doors around.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would love if I could push them in and leave them in so it saves a door removal and install step.
I do it on purpose and leave them in during the summer. Then I pull them out in October when the weather starts cooling down. It really speeds up taking the doors on and off.
Sponsored