Sponsored

Oops while taking door off

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Camry
Hi all, newbie here. Took doors off for the first time. The little arm on the inside door where the third screw is got smashed into it's hole when the wind closed the door after I unscrewed it. Any tips to bring it back out? It's also a rental...
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, newbie here. Took doors off for the first time. The little arm on the inside door where the third screw is got smashed into it's hole when the wind closed the door after I unscrewed it. Any tips to bring it back out? It's also a rental...
You ain't the first, and you won't be the last... you'll get it out. Check here.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The easiest way is to close the door almost all the way and pull the door check out just enough that you can get the bolt on and thread it just one or two turns into the jeep. Then you can open the door to pull the door check out and tighten the bolt.

Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Do what ThirtyOne said above. I just did the same thing on mine. Was trying to pull them out without any luck. Closed the door almost all the way and the bolt hole will line up enough where you can start the bolt, then be able to pull them all the way out.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Too prevent this from happening in the first place, I wrapped a small bunjee cord around the door check so it can not get pushed into the door while I am taking them off, during storage or putting them back on....so far seems to have worked.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
With similar concerns in mind, I purchased this tool to keep on hand.

And I'll never purchase a rental, no matter how attractive the pricing.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Here's my previous post on pulling the detent. You can use a shoelace.

So I was just happily wiring some radios into the jeep, and had all the doors and tailgate open as I was going in and out.

Unfortunately, today was the one day of the year that my father decided to do yardwork, and he came out off the garage blowing an enormous green, gritty, cloud of pollen and dust before him, into me, and directly into the back of the jeep.

Much swearing and running around slamming doors shut, but I forgot that I had the passenger-side door unhooked to open wider. I slammed the detent back inside the door with crunchy crunch noises.

Since I've never remembered to share it before, here's how I normally pull them back out. No wacky tools, no aggravation, just any bit of cordage you have laying about:

Take a cord and put it through the detent bolt-hole, then tie a loop at the end:
Jeep Wrangler JL Oops while taking door off 1624379755409

Put the loop over the hook that the door check attaches to, then loop the free end around it as well:

Close the door upon yourself as much as possible, pulling in the slack on the cord, then loop the free end once or twice more around the hook:

Push the door all the way open while holding fast onto the free end of the cord, and the detent will kachunk back out as you do it:

If it doesn't pop all the way out the first time, close the door, pull in the slack, and do it again.

Super easy.

I hope this saves someone the money, anger, or effort that I see spent on weird tools, locking pliers, and zero leverage. In the meantime, two of my neighbors just started mowing and blowing their lawns, so I guess I'm not meant to be out here right now.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Pardon my ignorance, but what happened? I haven't taken my doors off yet, but my tube doors were just delivered so knowing what's going on before I take them off would be helpful.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Pardon my ignorance, but what happened? I haven't taken my doors off yet, but my tube doors were just delivered so knowing what's going on before I take them off would be helpful.
The door check arm, when disconnected to accommodate door removal, etc., can retract inside the door, particularly if the door is closed carelessly.

Pulling the check arm back out to reattach it can require considerable leverage, particularly if the arm has retracted fully into the door. The owner can spend time playing with weird solutions like string, quickly use a purpose-built tool, or do whatever else in order to extend the check arm. He can also remember what he's doing next time so as to avoid hearing new and possibly expensive sounds when allowing the door(s) to slam closed.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Here's my previous post on pulling the detent. You can use a shoelace.

So I was just happily wiring some radios into the jeep, and had all the doors and tailgate open as I was going in and out.

Unfortunately, today was the one day of the year that my father decided to do yardwork, and he came out off the garage blowing an enormous green, gritty, cloud of pollen and dust before him, into me, and directly into the back of the jeep.

Much swearing and running around slamming doors shut, but I forgot that I had the passenger-side door unhooked to open wider. I slammed the detent back inside the door with crunchy crunch noises.

Since I've never remembered to share it before, here's how I normally pull them back out. No wacky tools, no aggravation, just any bit of cordage you have laying about:

Take a cord and put it through the detent bolt-hole, then tie a loop at the end:
20210514_125855.jpg

20210514_125935.jpg

Put the loop over the hook that the door check attaches to, then loop the free end around it as well:
20210514_130000.jpg

Close the door upon yourself as much as possible, pulling in the slack on the cord, then loop the free end once or twice more around the hook:
20210514_130036.jpg

Push the door all the way open while holding fast onto the free end of the cord, and the detent will kachunk back out as you do it:
20210514_130100.jpg

If it doesn't pop all the way out the first time, close the door, pull in the slack, and do it again.

Super easy.

I hope this saves someone the money, anger, or effort that I see spent on weird tools, locking pliers, and zero leverage. In the meantime, two of my neighbors just started mowing and blowing their lawns, so I guess I'm not meant to be out here right now.
gotta love 550 cord! I always have some laying around.
Sponsored