Oil changed = damaged fender

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I have taken my Jeep only once to the dealership for the steering TSB. They take photos before any work with an iPad. I also had them note NO defects noted in the notes before it went in.

Suggest everyone do the same.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
A
I have taken my Jeep only once to the dealership for the steering TSB. They take photos before any work with an iPad. I also had them note NO defects noted in the notes before it went in.

Suggest everyone do the same.
Always wise: nevertheless, if you don’t notice the damage as soon as you leave they can deny it was done there. Even if they Hid The Damage. It was a hard lesson!

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
That's awful but based on the pictures, I think a good detail (by someone who knows what they are doing) will clean it up fine. If not, you can pursue a new, replacement fender. I agree with a previous post that it looks like a dirty/ wet fender cover was placed (thrown) on top of the fender/ hood? If you have had a long term relationship with this dealer/ service department it will help your cause but be prepared for a difficult conversation, as mentioned by others, because you left the lot without bringing this to their attention and you didn't buy it from them. If your service advisor friend isn't cooperative, escalate up the chain as far as possible. The GM will usually have lot's of latitude in this type of situation but the owner will have the ultimate say (assuming there is one and it's not some large corporate conglomerate). Good luck!

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Hate to see it. Reason # 694 why my 392 will never see the dealership again unless it’s a warranty issue I can’t resolve on my own…oil changes are pretty easy if you want to learn to do them yourself.

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to see it. Reason # 694 why my 392 will never see the dealership again unless it’s a warranty issue I can’t resolve on my own…oil changes are pretty easy if you want to learn to do them yourself.
Going to have to start doing them myself.

Sponsored

Lawn Jockey

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude 4x4
This is precisely why I won’t let my local dealership touch my vehicles. They’re fucked up worse than my wife’s checkbook.

Do your own oil changes, change your differential oil, spark plugs, batteries., rotate your own tires, etc, etc. Don’t let the knuckledragging mouth breathing bastards anywhere near your Jeep.

3 free oil changes and 3 free tire rotations are for the soccer moms. Get some oil & grease on your hands. You’ll feel great about it….especially knowing you did it correctly yourself.

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is precisely why I won’t let my local dealership touch my vehicles. They’re fucked up worse than my wife’s checkbook.

Do your own oil changes, change your differential oil, spark plugs, batteries., rotate your own tires, etc, etc. Don’t let the knuckledragging mouth breathing bastards anywhere near your Jeep.

3 free oil changes and 3 free tire rotations are for the soccer moms. Get some oil & grease on your hands. You’ll feel great about it….especially knowing you did it correctly yourself.
I'm going to have to, Ill have to see where the oil pan is with this being a bigger motor, never had to do it before but better later than never.

Lawn Jockey

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to have to, Ill have to see where the oil pan is with this being a bigger motor, never had to do it before but better later than never.
Watch a few YouTube videos.

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Watch a few YouTube videos.
I will, plus I saw someone else have oil change problems someone there brought up how to document it so it shows up (from what I understand)

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
One of the biggest problems is that dealers have got into the quick oil change business. Thus, they give those jobs to the least experienced guys that are only there to do it as fast as possible. Thus they tear up things and do damage. I see it all of the time. You'd think that the drain plug was holding back 2000 psi of pressure by how overly tight some guys do it. Then when it comes to filters, there's a reason why I change out lots of Chrysler oil filter housings. They are way too tight.

Top it off, it's not hard to actually clean up the mess you made with some brake clean. Yet many cars come in and it's an oily mess down below. For me, you could have a junker 2005 Hyundai or a new Jeep and both of you will get the same service. Done right and if I find something else wrong, you'll know and thus can determine when you need to get that fixed. It's not just an oil change but a look over on your car too. Most just do the oil and forget the rest. On the other hand, I'm not under the gun to get it done in 10 minutes. Other places are.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One of the biggest problems is that dealers have got into the quick oil change business. Thus, they give those jobs to the least experienced guys that are only there to do it as fast as possible. Thus they tear up things and do damage. I see it all of the time. You'd think that the drain plug was holding back 2000 psi of pressure by how overly tight some guys do it. Then when it comes to filters, there's a reason why I change out lots of Chrysler oil filter housings. They are way too tight.

Top it off, it's not hard to actually clean up the mess you made with some brake clean. Yet many cars come in and it's an oily mess down below. For me, you could have a junker 2005 Hyundai or a new Jeep and both of you will get the same service. Done right and if I find something else wrong, you'll know and thus can determine when you need to get that fixed. It's not just an oil change but a look over on your car too. Most just do the oil and forget the rest. On the other hand, I'm not under the gun to get it done in 10 minutes. Other places are.
That would explain it so much, one of the other advisor said go to the express lane...This helps connect the dots.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I would think the oil pan is on the bottom. Sorry couldn't resist:)

Lawn Jockey

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t over tighten the drain plug….nor the filter. Snug & 1/8 turn or 1/4 turn is more than sufficient. Or read the manual for torque specs and get a torque wrench.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Yep, there's typically only one way to do the job right and countless ways to do it wrong. Had more wrong than right w/ most all repairs/service that I didn't DIY. And yeah, I've made mistakes too, but I can catch them on the spot, not have to trace all the steps (or missteps) that someone made to get to the finished (or likely unfinished) job :(

Cory @GrayHawk20 sure hope you get this handled to your satisfaction, sucks to have someone muck things up like that!

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That would explain it so much, one of the other advisor said go to the express lane...This helps connect the dots.
Many of them do not have a hoist, just a grease pit. There's a reason for that. Lifting a car on a hoist can be quite the challenge for the grunts that work at a dealer or quick oil change places. If they do have a hoist, its one you drive on and it lifts it up by the tires. No need to tempt fate with them trying to figure out how to lift it properly.
Sponsored