Sponsored

Oil Change...debacle

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Why is the oil black ? They didn’t even change it ?
I agree, when I change my oil I have a hard time finding it on the dipstick. I have to roll it on a paper towel to find the mark.

My stealership has "warantee for LIFE!!!" (probably worth as much as a few sheets of TP). They mandate that you get maintenance at the stealership or get permission from some 1-800 number before having someone else do it. They mention that you can't DIY and keep the "coverage". My boss had a dealership add oil without draining it first, and when he took the car back to complain the service manager told him "How do we know YOU didn't do it". That was his last "FREE" oil change.
Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
All I know is, ya go to a Jeep dealer to get a simple oil change and it turns into a real shit show. Bottom-line, it's done and it's done correctly.

I did not return to the dealer, I'm not getting in a pissing contest with a 20 yo about the finer points of changing oil. It's done, I'm done and not going back. I learned my lesson.

In fact, I'm reluctant to even post on here any information I have, because of the bad feedback.

Now, for all the naysayers, know-it-all posters, save your breath. I don't care what you have to say and I believe most of the forum wants to keep it civil.
I won't be a naysayer, I totally agree with you. I've been changing oil since I was 13 years old. You would think the dealership would hire professionals that can perform the most simple tasks. Maybe have a "manager" go behind and quickly double check that the oil is clean and on the mark. I mean, really? Have the "Service Advisor" quickly double check the dipstick before giving the vehicle back to the customer.

Thanks for the post, I will make sure to pop the hood at the dealership when I get the keys back from my free oil changes. Posts like this have a ton of value, and remind us to always check someone else's work.

Really cool you have a lift at your place, I'm doing a timing belt on an Odyssey right now for an hour after work everyday, and my back is sore.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
It's a shame the quality of work being provided at some service centers has become so lacking. I know the level of dedication that is required to do things correctly since I was an ASE certified mechanic for 18 years.

Trying to perform maintenance quick and correctly usually ends up in a conflict of priorities and we all know who suffers from the resulting mistakes/errors.

Just like someone else had already mentioned, I also perform checks on my vehicles any time a mechanic has been working on them and I do this right in front of them too. The hood goes up, oil level and color are checked and even the oil drain plug condition/status is verified. I have some stories to tell about things I've found but that is for another thread.

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I had an oil change nightmare also. The mechanic cranked down on the filter so much he broke the O-ring. Oil was everywhere, top to bottom, front to back. I dropped the Jeep off, picked up a loaner and it took them a week to get it cleaned up. Lesson learned. Now, after every oil change, I start the engine, raise the hood and look for leaks.

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6L, and have always changed my own oil (just like doing it myself). I've had dozens of different vehicles over the years, and the JL is by far the easiest oil change by far (at least the 3.6L). No need to jack it up to get to the drain plug, and I love the top facing screw off cap for the filter. My Jeep only gets driven about 8k miles a year, so I just replace with full synthetic once a year (two changes now).

Fortunately, my first dealer experience was pretty positive (they reprogrammed the radio and dash cluster, which was doing all sorts of crazy things- the fix worked perfectly). They also checked my weld and replaced my stabilizer under TSBs (they did fail to notice I had already changed out the stabilizer, and tossed the one I had installed, but I'll give them a pass on that one).

Sponsored

acfortier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Sheesh, some of these replies... I get that "if you want something done right, do it yourself" but it's not unreasonable to hold a dealership with a dedicated service department to a high standard for something like an oil change. Yeah, maybe you need to double-check their work. Jeep is offering free oil changes that'll cost $50+ for the filter alone, and another $40 - $100 for oil. I think that's worth taking it to the dealership.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Did you ever see that James Bond movie where at the end, he sends the bad guy walking off into the desert... With no water... and just a quart of motor oil?

I've never forgotten that, especially on hot days when I'm thirsty..

Anyways your photo just brought it to mind :CWL:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Sheesh, some of these replies... I get that "if you want something done right, do it yourself" but it's not unreasonable to hold a dealership with a dedicated service department to a high standard for something like an oil change. Yeah, maybe you need to double-check their work. Jeep is offering free oil changes that'll cost $50+ for the filter alone, and another $40 - $100 for oil. I think that's worth taking it to the dealership.
The 3.0L takes special oil (I believe this to a point). Dealership service departments have been botching this simple job in many ways:
using the wrong oil
wrong amount of oil
loose install of cap or plug
not waiting for oil to drain completely (per Jeep/FCA, this is a no for the 3.0)
improper cleanup of spilt dirty oil

The Jeep wave program might be worth it to someone who doesn't work on their rigs, but to a normal red-blooded American that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty, a 'free' incompetent oil change is worth exactly what said person paid for it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I’ve been on the forums for years and I’ve noticed a distinct loss of civility. Maybe it’s generational, maybe it’s the broader community, maybe it’s frustration with everything else, but regardless, I’m no smarter for having read this thread but a lot more dismayed. SMH.
I couldn't agree more. We can all be assholes from time-to-time, but in the past we were able to keep it to ourselves more. In the last few years it became okay to "express ourselves" regardless of who it offends/hurts. I have no idea how we get back to normal from here. And...it has absolutely nothing to do with the pandemic.

Can't we all get along?

All of that said, I change my own oil, and arguably do a better job than the dealership.

Punkn Expo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’ve been on the forums for years and I’ve noticed a distinct loss of civility. Maybe it’s generational, maybe it’s the broader community, maybe it’s frustration with everything else, but regardless, I’m no smarter for having read this thread but a lot more dismayed. SMH.
I didn't know what WAVE was before, so I'm now a little smarter lol
Sponsored