DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been thinking of getting an JLU Rubicon. Will be a daily driver for my mainly 2-lane commute and light to moderate off-roading. Might work my way up to Beasley Knob ORV trails (7-9 rating on Badge of Honor system). Would love to eventually go to Moab as a bucket list adventure.
I haven't had manual tranny in several years and like the idea of going back to one. How is off-roading in the manual with say a 2" lift and 35's compared to the automatic? Plan to keep this one forever so long-term durability/service life is a high priority.
Any input appreciated.
I've had mine on 35's for over 3 years and 41,000 miles. It's been to Moab and all over the place east of the Mississippi. There is nothing an auto can do off-road that the manual can't do, once you brush up on your skills. Nothing. It is a blast. It has plenty of power, too. I've jacked around with friends with autos and 35's and it out runs them, barely, but every time, whether 0-30, 60, or even 80. So power is no issue. And I use 6th gear all the time on the highway, too, so it is useable, even though it is very tall. Reverse is also too tall, but not a deal breaker. This engine is well matched to the manual transmission, too. It feels great. I'm 100% confident in its long-term durability, too.

I've got nothing at all against the auto, btw. It is outstanding in every way. I just think the manual is more fun. It puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. It's going to Moab for its second time in a little over a week.

I'm keeping mine until I croak. It's been mechanically perfect.
Sponsored

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
So I've been thinking of getting an JLU Rubicon. Will be a daily driver for my mainly 2-lane commute and light to moderate off-roading. Might work my way up to Beasley Knob ORV trails (7-9 rating on Badge of Honor system). Would love to eventually go to Moab as a bucket list adventure.
I haven't had manual tranny in several years and like the idea of going back to one. How is off-roading in the manual with say a 2" lift and 35's compared to the automatic? Plan to keep this one forever so long-term durability/service life is a high priority.
Any input appreciated.
Praise for the purists! I miss a manual and wheeling is wheeling...does it need to be easy? The only reason I don’t have one is I’m in traffic too often and it makes me nuts.
Enjoy rowing your own gears.

va-matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
Ha, first post - I think...

I have a 2008 Unlimited, 6 speed, 35 inch tires. When I bought it I commuted in it, and I wanted the manual transmission just for the driving enjoyment. I was so godd^%$ busy I only made it offroad twice a year.

Now I'm sorta retired, and instead of putting 18000 miles a year on it commuting and going off road twice a year, i'm putting 5000 miles on it a year and going off road a lot.

Bottom line, I have driven stick my whole life and love it, but off-roading is way more enjoyable with an auto.

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
in general, there is a certain feel and enjoyment i get out of stick. thats enough for me. no issues offroad, but i mainly do easier stuff as well. if you are in a crowded city, i would get the auto though.

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
Manuals are the only way to fly (on-road & off-road) for me unless you need to DD your rig in heavy traffic. (Of which, you probably need a commuter car.) Manuals are just so simple and pure. Although my JLR is a 2021, it's still reminiscent of the spirit of the original Willys in just a slightly updated format.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here's the bottom line, if you don't go manual now, you will probably never get another chance. They are dying, no, critically endangered, near extinct.
If you find you don't like it, you have a billion options for an auto. But if you don't do it now, you will torture yourself forever with "what ifs"

I really enjoy my manual, on and off road.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
Any input appreciated.
You really have to be honest with yourself here.
I bought a manual because I would’ve hated driving an auto day-to-day. I think the current auto is great, and I have no doubts about it, but I NEVER considered it. I would’ve hated it. I would’ve always, ALWAYS, regretted it. BUT, I am NOT ‘most people’, and your mileage may (and will) vary. Autos are super convenient, especially day-to-day and sharing with your someone. I have NO interest in an auto- but you have to do you

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Bought manual. Never considered an auto.... Drove an auto JL 2.0 liter a couple hundred miles (rental) and it was ok, but felt like any other auto.... (get in vehicle, throw it in D, and go). I prefer the more mechanical process of driving a manual. Its just more engaging, and less appliance like. Not sure how else to describe it.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Check out this video.

I have had a manual sport and now a manual Rubicon. One of the main reasons i upgraded was that i didnt like the stock gear ratio in my sport.
If your going with a manual transmission id highly recommend the Rubicon for the lower gears and transfer case. With the transfer case in these Jeeps you can practically idle up the side of a wall.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Check out this video.

I have had a manual sport and now a manual Rubicon. One of the main reasons i upgraded was that i didnt like the stock gear ratio in my sport.
If your going with a manual transmission id highly recommend the Rubicon for the lower gears and transfer case. With the transfer case in these Jeeps you can practically idle up the side of a wall.
Hidden falls is an awesome park.

Sponsored

Lugwrench

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2-door Rubicon, modified
This is clearly a topic that everybody has an opinion on! Since the vast majority of people by automatics, most of the opinions you get will be slanted that way.

I've owned a 2005 TJ and a 2012 JK, both 2-doors with manuals. I am a member of a club and I drive off-road extensively. Two visits to Moab Easter Jeep Safari so far. You can do anything in a manual, and you will be having more fun than the automatic drivers. This is particularly true of the 2-door, because of its lighter weight and better maneuverability. It is the "sports car" of Jeeps, if that could be a thing.

All that said, I have succumbed to the siren song of the diesel. In a couple of weeks, I will own a 4-door diesel Rubicon with options to rival a Porsche Cayenne. Obviously, it is an automatic. I'll be getting a lift, tires, and other stuff eventually. While I'm shopping, though, I think I'll keep my JK for one more season of trails in the "sports car" of Jeeps.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Why would I want to shift? I don't. I was done with manuals years ago.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is
Why would I want to shift? I don't. I was done with manuals years ago.
It's not about shifting, it's all about the clutch. Don't believe me? Try manually shifting any auto in your garage and see how long you last. Doesn't matter if it's a lever or buttons or paddles, it gets boring REALLY fast. The joy of a manual is the clutch, your personal connection to your motor

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I love my manual. Have a 2018 JLUR 50k plus miles on it(recalled for clutch, but haven't taken it in, because no issues with it) and have only once or twice picked a line where I said, damn I wish I had an auto. But I'm running 37s on the stock 4.10s and OEM steering box(recall for that too, right?). So if I went to 5.13 and hydro assist, I doubt I would even think of an auto transmission. But I don't DD mine either. I never see 6th and hardly 5th when I do drive it on the back roads. South GA lots of rolling hills..

In the end, do what will make you happy. If I were to DD mine, I probably would have got an auto. A Jeep isn't the same as rowin gears in a sports car on the highway after all. It just adds to the fun of climbing up stuff.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

This is probably like sail vs power boats, no "right" answer.
I had a manual too in my previous jeep. I've been very pleased with the manual Rubicon off-road. Surprised even at how easy clutch use was on a moderately rough section of the Wheeler Crest trail--Rubicon gearing I guess. (I'd used no-clutch stop/start in the past, but that's not programmed into the JLU).

If you're not driving in Atlanta traffic (I'm not in LA traffic either), I think you'd like the manual.
Sponsored