Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So when I ordered I knew what I was getting into with lockers, sway bar disconnect, and the 4wd I chose. But what on earth is this off road plus button?

E763A5C1-D1F9-4654-824E-55808B384F25.jpeg
2020 Mojave Gladiator (Overland High Speed) has this but it also works Low speed and they moved it over to 2021 Rubicon.

In low range, Off-Road Plus adjusts the shift strategy to favor slow-speed drivability and provides enhanced brake lock differential (BLD) control to maximize traction in slow-speed rock crawling. In 4-Hi, the trans calibration maximizes the powerband for more responsiveness, while ESC has a lower threshold for traction control intervention to enable wheel slip at speed and the ability to drift through loose terrains, such as sand. In addition, drivers can hold down the traction control button for 5 seconds in Off-Road Plus and eliminate the ESC intervention altogether.
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
As @NewJLU2019 states above, Off-Road+ does different things to the throttle control, shift management, brake systems, and more based on 4H or 4L.

I can say the Off-Road+ button on the 2021 Rubicons does make a difference! I haven't understood why it would help until we were in high-speed washes. It let a lot more drift and play than I expect from any modern vehicle nannies! Good stuff.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
Have it in my 20 JTR , and apparently it is in my 2dr JLR that I am picking up tomorrow morning , haven’t had the opportunity to use it in my JTR yet , so I guess I’ll have to look for an opportunity soon !

Sponsored

Aquasport

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I have a 21 JLUR.

I used it in 4hi and it is amazing in desert sand washes and sand dunes. It gives instant power, a higher rpm range and spins the tires Like crazy.
No kidding it is like 50 extra horse power in 4 hi !

it is useful for hauling ass up large hill climbs or
going mudding where spinning tires and momentum counts.

To me off-road plus in 4 hi, feels sorta between stock 4 hi and 4 lo

I have not tried it in 4 low yet so , I can’t comment on that...

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Jeep Wrangler JL Off road plus???? 0B744BC6-29DF-412F-81E5-AC8ABA764FC4

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Jeep Wrangler JL Off road plus???? 8964D10B-2827-4FCE-BB87-E07067177E8A

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What I recall from using Offroad+ is that I had to manually shift the transmission because it wouldn't do it automatically. I'm not sure if that normal, can someone confirm is the same with yours?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
What I recall from using Offroad+ is that I had to manually shift the transmission because it wouldn't do it automatically. I'm not sure if that normal, can someone confirm is the same with yours?
It will shift automatically but it changes your shift points to higher RPMs so the trans doesn't take the time to downshift if you suddenly punch the gas. Off Road + looks like it's all about providing instant power the moment you demand it so you don't get stuck.

Sponsored

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It will shift automatically but it changes your shift points to higher RPMs so the trans doesn't take the time to downshift if you suddenly punch the gas. Off Road + looks like it's all about providing instant power the moment you demand it so you don't get stuck.
I see, well the RPMs were definitely higher, but it wouldn't up shift. I was on the trail going over 20mph and it was still in 1st gear and it was sustaining very high RPMs without shifting to second or third.

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
off road plus dials back stability control and dials up BLD. Something you wouldn’t want on an icy road in 4wd. Basically it’s tuning the electronics and trans for the situation which you cannot do with simply driving.

Also, in 4lo it raises the idle rpm when you let off the brake to help with climbing and then lowers it when you squeeze the brake harder to make it easier on the truck to stop. It also starts off in 1st instead of 2nd for better torque. It also softens up the throttle response to give more fine control.

in 4hi it keeps the engine in the powerband to have more immediate power and sharpens up the throttle to react quickly.

it’s like tow haul mode. The vehicle is tuned for normal duty but you press a button to let it know you are using a higher duty.

reality is 4 lo provides plenty of speed to drive around in. So you wouldn’t want it to behave the same at 15mph vs at .0mph climbing a rock. Same with 4 hi, you don’t want high rpm and low gearing in the snow, but in the sand that power helps significantly.

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
So when I ordered I knew what I was getting into with lockers, sway bar disconnect, and the 4wd I chose. But what on earth is this off road plus button?
When you push it, it voids your warranty and the warranties of anyone with you on the trail that day. Oh, and it also notifies your insurance carrier that you just left the paved roads. :devil:

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
When you guys say it changes the throttle, does it increase throttle response? I’ve never pushed this button lol

also, can you use this in 2wd?
This isn't Disney, if the button is there, it's meant to be interacted with!!

Fun story, we went to Hollywood Studios in Disneyworld, freaking awesome. Well, In Batuu, everything is interactive, press this, touch that, take a picture with this to get points, etc. Well, we went on Rise of the Resistance (freaking amazing!) and we were in line where you're next to board basically. There were some cool looking flashing buttons and so my wife presses one. Well, it' opens up the door to the next area where a bunch of people are getting their presentation. OOPS!!! I mean, c'mon though, you are having us do all this other interactive stuff and then there's a button exposed, easily viewed by all, how can we NOT push it?!
Sponsored