First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It doesnt matter if you're off road. It matters if you collided with something, collision. Unless it's an excluded activity, like sanctioned racing or a sanctioned event that should have it's own event insurance.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Iā€™m assuming this means, as soon as you hit an OHV park youā€™re on your own. What about something like hells revenge? Dedicated route, but itā€™s in a recreation area (requires permit) and allows OHVs?
No, that's not how it works. Is your policy valid? Was it a collision? Is it an excluded activity?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good point!
But DO follow my advice. I did something totally crazy!

I sent an email to my insurance agent (Farmers Insurance) and asked. "How does my policy work if I take my new $60k vehicle off-road and out for some rock-crawling? And what if I manage to crumple a fender or roll the vehicle over a time or two by accident?" I was told that I'd be completely covered as an ordinary accident, and that I totally need to invite them the next time I take an offroad adventure.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. But if you've got a halfway decent insurance agent, they're going to respect you for calling and asking rather than assuming and being stupid and asking questions AFTER something bad happens.

If you're shy, just soften the question by saying, "You were thinking ahead about [X] ..." and you were "wondering how your policy might work in that situation if you had an accident..." and "...you wondered if it required any extra endorsements ($$) to your policy..." and "have you seen these types of claims go through before?"
This is the problem. I went in to my agent and asked the question, and after a week of waiting for his answer from corporate I was given a not so reassuring answer. I had previously asked another agent at the same office with my last Jeep and was told I was covered. It seems they left the doors open to deny my claim if something where to go wrong.

From my agent:

ā€œ I have discovered that insurance companies are not going to give a hard line on whats covered and whats not.
They are quick to say read the policy and interpret it the best you canā€¦ Not much help. I did get a hard answer on competition.
Competition is definitely not covered. So do not enter any tournaments!ā€

I just donā€™t get the feeling that Iā€™m ā€œin good handsā€

Pics from mentioned roll over

The guy came down this hill wrong and flopped the rig

81535A35-94FB-42D7-B995-4DC9768C18FC.jpeg

Wincing the guy back on his wheels

97C09292-9E4F-4823-9494-6F25CFF1CDC5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This topic has been discussed here before. I'm not sure I would be taking insurance advice from the internet. I'm gonna go out on a limb here but, if you are worried about insurance covering your jeep off road you prolly shouldn't be taking your jeep offroad.
Iā€™m going off road. I just would like to know that if something did go wrong Iā€™d be covered. Not looking for ā€œadviceā€, more looking for real world first hand experience with anyone thatā€™s been unfortunate enough to make a claim.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have All State and was told I would be covered off road as long as I want competing sanctioned event or on a race course.
I was told this last year by another agent in the office. I went back and double checked after rolling a guy back on his wheels out in Moab, asking specifically if I would be covered if I was in that situation. Again was told yes.

When I set up the insurance for the new rig I mentioned I need to maintain the same level of insurance as to be covered off road. And thatā€™s where I opened a can of worms. It would be nice if I could get a straight answer considering the amount of money Iā€™ve got wrapped up in this vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Generally speaking, you're covered for off-road accidents as long as it isn't a sanctioned event or race (that's a big out). However it's generally not in your best interest to report such claims. They get counted against you just as much as driving around your neighborhood smacking into everyone and everything. Filing a claim for every pinstripe or enthusiastic rock kiss will send your rates sky high or get you dropped in no time. Fix those yourself. Reserve such claims for royal screw-ups such as accidentally rolling your Jeep down Black Bear Pass, or something of that sort.
Exactly, if itā€™s not a total write off Iā€™m probably not claiming anything. I have a relatively high tolerance for body damage, i just want to make sure Iā€™ve got a rig if it takes a nap. šŸ¤£

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Off road insurance coverage?

As per my insurance agent (Allstate), I am covered for off road damage. But they said if I report a claim, my rates will increase and eventually they will get their money back.
Works for me, Iā€™ll take my policy elsewhere šŸ¤£

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I submitted a claim to Farmers for some off-road damage a couple months ago. They had no issues covering it. When they asked what happened, I didn't necessarily tell them every little detail, but I told them the truth.

I treated it like I would questions from an auditor, provide concise but truthful responses.
This is the way.

I wonder if they ask more questions when the damage level goes up.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
A bud of mine is a long time insurance agent.... Well not any.more, he just retired two months ago. And this is what he said. You are covered as long as it is not a timed, section event. The problem with the definition of off road is, if you are not on the road, everything is off road.

Parking lots, driveways, your yard, your firends yard, literally everything is off road except the road. So there is no way to list what is or is not covered. Just know that these are my buds Jeep and both were covered.

$9000+ to fix this 2020 Rubicon Gladiator, plus $80,000 in medical bills to fix his arm that got trapped under the roll bar out the drivers side window.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off road insurance coverage? 1635245136401

and $7000 for my other bud.
Jeep Wrangler JL Off road insurance coverage? 1635245228550

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A bud of mine is a long time insurance agent.... Well not any.more, he just retired two months ago. And this is what he said. You are covered as long as it is not a timed, section event. The problem with the definition of off road is, if you are not on the road, everything is off road.

Parking lots, driveways, your yard, your firends yard, literally everything is off road except the road. So there is no way to list what is or is not covered. Just know that these are my buds Jeep and bother were covered.

$9000+ to fix this 2020 Rubicon Gladiator, plus $80,000 in medical bills to fix his arm that got trapped under the roll bar out the drivers side window.

and $7000 for my other bud.
This is what I was looking for, real world claims that have been settled. Thank you for the concise answer. Iā€™m sorry your buddies flopped their rigs. That arm out the window seems to be an instinctive movement, thatā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve seen that. Iā€™ve tried to train myself to resist that movement. I hope heā€™s alright.

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
What @wibornz said.

My brother-in-law, who works as an agent and who we get our insurance from, also told me that any aftermarket items will not be included in a claim unless you insure those items separately.

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
What your insurance company will cover will vary widely by state. Each state has itā€™s own regulations for insurance and some might have stricter requirements than others.
We had a guy in a club I belonged to that hydrolocked his motor while going through a washed out part of a fire road. Insurance wasnā€™t going to pay to replace his motor until another member of the club, who happened to be a state trooper, got involved and explained he was on a named road.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What @wibornz said.

My brother-in-law, who works as an agent and who we get our insurance from, also told me that any aftermarket items will not be included in a claim unless you insure those items separately.
Good lookin out šŸ‘ and yes Iā€™ve got extra insurance to cover modifications as well.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Parking lots, driveways, your yard, your firends yard, literally everything is off road except the road. So there is no way to list what is or is not covered. Just know that these are my buds Jeep and both were covered.
There you have it: mall crawlers are in fact off-roading!

Who knew? šŸ˜«

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
What @wibornz said.

My agent, who I have taken wheeling with me, wrote me rider to my policy for $15K worth of aftermarket parts. I did have to submit receipts to get the coverage and while it does not cover everything, it would at least cover most of them.
Sponsored