Sponsored

Off-Road Camping Trailers

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Please keep us posted on your trailer build. Iā€™m thinking of something similar, although I think Iā€™ll build the camper as a slide-in, so I can still use the trailer for hauling stuff.

Iā€™m also thinking Iā€™ll replace the 12ā€ wheels with 15ā€s.

Maybe Iā€™ll start a thread on it. We could probably help each other avoid mistakes and give each other ideas.
I wonder if you can invite to the threads. I am thinking of building a camper. I just want to do that kind of project.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Please keep us posted on your trailer build. Iā€™m thinking of something similar, although I think Iā€™ll build the camper as a slide-in, so I can still use the trailer for hauling stuff.

Iā€™m also thinking Iā€™ll replace the 12ā€ wheels with 15ā€s.

Maybe Iā€™ll start a thread on it. We could probably help each other avoid mistakes and give each other ideas.
I will. I dont know how much you would gain from me since I am going really low budget. Even to the point of leaving suspension as is and wheels still at 12 inches or whatever they are. I did put a lift kit on it which costs 25 bucks on etrailer.

Thus far I have 2x3's bolted to the frame and just finished the floor. Both were sealed numerous times and I even used that "as seen on tv" rubber crap. "watch me saw this boat in half" lol I've used it elsewhere and the stuff works despite the laughs.

I will post stuff on your thread going forward.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I asked the question in the forum and no one has answered it. The question is, will the Gladiator (an actual tow hitch) hitch mount on a JL/U. Specially the Sahara. If it does, I would feel more confident. Granted my camper is 1100 lbs. with gear, I will be fine. Just prefer the JT set up as opposed to the JL option. I have already considering the big brake option, and will do it later than sooner. Also considering the Rubicon axel swap. I could not convince the wife to let me get the Rubicon with everything. Compromised on the Sahara.
dont know. My guess is our jl muffler is in the way. I think if you delete it your likely good. Dunno.

I think I might delete it even with my stock reciever. That things is huge and I recall it isnt much louder with it gone. IF so it is gone. lol

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I will. I dont know how much you would gain from me since I am going really low budget. Even to the point of leaving suspension as is and wheels still at 12 inches or whatever they are. I did put a lift kit on it which costs 25 bucks on etrailer.

Thus far I have 2x3's bolted to the frame and just finished the floor. Both were sealed numerous times and I even used that "as seen on tv" rubber crap. "watch me saw this boat in half" lol I've used it elsewhere and the stuff works despite the laughs.

I will post stuff on your thread going forward.
Oh, Iā€™m not only going low budget, Iā€™m also going low tech.

I see the trailer mostly as a place to sleep.

I am very pleased with how the back end of my hardtop functions as a camp kitchen, especially with the Outback Trailgater.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
New thread up.

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw your post. Haven't read through it all but thought Patriot Camper is worth checking out if price isn't an issue. I know they've been showing up in SEMA and some other shows. So I'd imagine that they should have a retailer in the US somewhere.

https://www.patriotcampers.com.au/

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Echo17, you wrote "if price isn't an issue." I just looked at the Patriot X1-H on their website, and it is quite well engineered. But the US$ price of $47K before options and likely FOB Australia is, well, a bit steep, likely for most of us "up here":

1_PriceBanner_Top.jpg

You could almost buy a Rubi to tow behind your Rubi for that money!

Still, it does look like if one were into serious, off-road overlanding, the X1-H would be up to the task! Thanks for pointing it out!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
1_PriceBanner_Top.jpg

ā€œYou could almost buy a Rubi to tow behind your Rubi for that money!ā€

Indeed. The word ā€œinsaneā€ comes to mind.

And ā€œThereā€™s a sucker born every minuteā€.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I picked up my Smittybilt Scout trailer last night and am mounting a Tepui Autana XL RTT this morning. Build quality of the trailer seems fine for the price, and despite some SB naysayers online, reviews of this trailer were positive.

Autana XL is size of king size mattress inside. 2 adults and 1-2 kid will be comfortable for a long trip. Annex adds a whole other room for another couple. The trailer rack is ~6' high so bottom of annex might bunch a bit.

We really liked both turtleback and cricket trailers, but decided to start inexpensive and upgrade in future if need be.

The Scout comes with beefy wheels, tires, suspension, electronic brakes, pull out slides and stabilizers for reasonable price.
I'm researching the Scout and the JumpingJack. Please share pix as you get your Scout setup!

The JumpingJack Black comes with 32" tires (no idea what the max size is) but I really like that the Scout can go up to 37" to match my JL. The functionality of having a utility trailer when I want it is very appealing on the JJ.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I canā€™t get past $46k for a glorified tent trailer.

Thatā€™s $12.6k more than I paid for my JLU Sport, with all the on-the road/trail -relevant options.

And 8-speed and turbo.

If that trailer is worth $46k, my Jeep is worth a quarter-million easy, I reckon.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
I canā€™t get past $46k for a glorified tent trailer.

Thatā€™s $12.6k more than I paid for my JLU Sport, with all the on-the road/trail -relevant options.

And 8-speed and turbo.

If that trailer is worth $46k, my Jeep is worth a quarter-million easy, I reckon.
Watch their YouTube videos "Patriot Games"...

Things in Australia are pricey because they are made here by well paid Australian workers, with most parts and supply chains of the best quality and also Australian made. They source the best equipment and fit out, with all those names you should be drooling over (RedArc, Cruisemaster, Rhino Rack, etc) This thing is build for outdoor people, sets up in like 4 minutes flat and packs up about that quick as well. Plus damned near bomb-proof on the trails, most likely will outlast multiple tow vehicles.

Remember in Australia we (they, as I'm still American as well) have not the toughest trails and deserts, but once you get on a desert track it may well be 1000 miles and a thousand sand dunes you need to slog across to get to the other side. Epic is how I'd put it. Kinda like driving from Canada to Mexico through the middle desert country... Then you get some idea of why they are built so tough. Built solid Aluminum frame, this trailer will likely still be handed down to your kids we are long dead and buried...

Covid should be teaching us that we need to not only produce things in our own country and shorten supply lines to in country, BUT also have the wherewithal to PAY for things produced by well paid citizens of our own country... if we always chase the 'best price' China wins and we get right back to where we are today and what we deserve. Letting companies that only chase this quarters profits win over higher quality companies is something only consumers can change with their dollars. Only you can vote long term with how your dollars are spent...

Respectfully,
Capt' Starboard

Note: I didn't even buy a new Patriot, as I have young kids and wanted them in the same "plane" of the trailer, not in an annex, tent or swag. So for me the CampRite Off-road trailer was the best "compromise" for us. They are also near $55k new, so our's at under half that price a little over a decade old, but still solid as!
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Camping Trailers IMG_5652 2.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Camping Trailers IMG_5679 2.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Camping Trailers IMG_5681 2.JPG
Sponsored