Sponsored

Not using ESS feature anymore... Here's why

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
[Added Majestic to my Ignore list. It was almost as easy to delete the troll as it was to disable ESS.]

[ESS is] a really good system. [...] you can come to a complete stop and not activate the system. You have to put quite a bit of brake pressure to get it to activate.
It shuts off every time I let out the clutch, regardless of brake pedal operation. I easily find myself waiting for the starter to stop cranking before I let the clutch out and drive off. I don't do much city driving, so the system is mostly pointless. If I was worried about some marginal gas savings, I wouldn't drive a Wrangler. It also seems a bit odd to have this system in a manual, since I can't imagine many people who have to sit in traffic would buy a stick shift.
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
[Added Majestic to my Ignore list. It was almost as easy to delete the troll as it was to disable ESS
Dude you have like 10 post. Nobody cares.

Last edited:

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
Day 2 of the hood switch disconnected and everything works great, no more annoying shut off at stops, there is a small light on dash regarding the start/stop needs service, I just cut a small circle of electrical tape and put it over the light so I don't have to see it. Now I don't even think about it anymore driving.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Amazing how many people are in a uproar over a simple system feature

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Day 2 of the hood switch disconnected and everything works great, no more annoying shut off at stops, there is a small light on dash regarding the start/stop needs service, I just cut a small circle of electrical tape and put it over the light so I don't have to see it. Now I don't even think about it anymore driving.
You started with one annoying thing, so you did something to trade it for another annoying thing, and now you have a brand new Jeep with ghetto
electrical tape on the dash.

Since I assume from your Prius statement you just need to spite the environment, wouldnā€™t it be easier to light a few teaspoons of gas on fire each year to make up for the gas youā€™re not using?

Or can we admit this just a psychological comfort thing due to a lifetime of being ingrained to freak out when the engine dies at a stoplight?

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
ā€œIā€™m ready for a new Jeep, Iā€™ve done my homework, thereā€™s a lot of new fancy stuff on it thatā€™s different than my old Jeep, but I can do thisā€

ā€œAh! The engine just shut off at a stop light, I was wrong, Iā€™m not ready for this!ā€

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
[Added Majestic to my Ignore list. It was almost as easy to delete the troll as it was to disable ESS.]

It shuts off every time I let out the clutch, regardless of brake pedal operation. I easily find myself waiting for the starter to stop cranking before I let the clutch out and drive off. I don't do much city driving, so the system is mostly pointless. If I was worried about some marginal gas savings, I wouldn't drive a Wrangler. It also seems a bit odd to have this system in a manual, since I can't imagine many people who have to sit in traffic would buy a stick shift.
I canā€™t say how it works for a manual. We have some at the dealership, but havenā€™t taken it for a long drive.

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
What's more amazing is the people who feel compelled to post condescending, exaggerated, or other unhelpful comments about it. It's the way of the web. If someone is content with a feature everyone else must have a problem. But, many of those same people will modify their cars in some way and change something that didn't need to be changed.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
What's more amazing is the people who feel compelled to post condescending, exaggerated, or other unhelpful comments about it. It's the way of the web. If someone is content with a feature everyone else must have a problem. But, many of those same people will modify their cars in some way and change something that didn't need to be changed.
And thatā€™s why they included the button to turn it off on the dash
Most of this thread was people worried about an oil pressure jump when the vehicle restarts, which is completely normal to see and should only be worried if the 2 stage pump didnā€™t kick in, or the wear on the starter when these starters are built to be able to start the Jeep in gear without the clutch so a simple restart isnā€™t going to wear out the windings

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Or when somebody creates a new username just to jump into another conversation then accuse somebody else as trolling.

Sponsored

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
And thatā€™s why they included the button to turn it off on the dash
Most of this thread was people worried about an oil pressure jump when the vehicle restarts, which is completely normal to see and should only be worried if the 2 stage pump didnā€™t kick in, or the wear on the starter when these starters are built to be able to start the Jeep in gear without the clutch so a simple restart isnā€™t going to wear out the windings
I agree but to clarify my comment about manuals, the issue is not wear nor capability of starting. I am driving at that point and have a far more capable engine available to do the job

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Not that I need to respond to this but...

I served twenty years in the Navy, moved all over this great country of ours, seen every state except Montana, Maine and Idaho. My service kept me away from my family more than most, twelve deployments, not counting all the work-ups, inspections, and REFTRA's etc... I made a deal with my wife at the beginning of my service that if she was willing to follow me through my career, then at the end, I would in turn follow her though hers.

Well it's her turn now and she chooses to live here near her family and our grown children. If it were my choice I would have put California in the rear view mirror in 2004 when I retired from the Navy. My wife put up with a hell of a lot of crap during my military service, I guess I can deal with being a California resident if it makes my wife a happier person. I doesn't mean I have to like it.
but it was just the navy:giggle:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn it @Black Jeep Convertible ! I read through this whole thread wondering why it got bumped and was all set to award you the thread necromancy award...

Jeep Wrangler JL Not using ESS feature anymore... Here's why 2DBA380C-07FF-41BE-82F5-B2D634A9105B

But then I realized youā€™re ripping on the Navy. So have this instead:

Jeep Wrangler JL Not using ESS feature anymore... Here's why 80E0112D-273C-4810-87B8-AD56E07AA4FA
Sponsored