First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Occupation
Nurse

my Jeep has the same knock and is currently being replaced. They are replacing the entire engine. Also, the service rear axel light came on and replacing front axel now and the soft top due to wear and tear after only 12k miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

my Jeep has the same knock and is currently being replaced. They are replacing the entire engine. Also, the service rear axel light came on and replacing front axel now and the soft top due to wear and tear after only 12k miles.
Oh damn that’s rough. That honestly sounds much worse than mine. Mine goes away and does it on warm starts but also goes away. I’ll update this reply with a link to a video.

Was it doing that rattle regardless of hot or cold?

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
Oh damn that’s rough. That honestly sounds much worse than mine. Mine goes away and does it on warm starts but also goes away. I’ll update this reply with a link to a video.

Was it doing that rattle regardless of hot or cold?

Yes, hot and cold! It came from the bottom of the engine.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
That is horrible I’m glad they are replacing the engine for you. I’m curious what oil was used during oil changes and how long were the intervals? Mileage on first oil change?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
At least they’re replacing it! How I see it is if mine develops the same knock at least they’ll replace it.

But mine comes from the top/front of the motor.

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
That is horrible I’m glad they are replacing the engine for you. I’m curious what oil was used during oil changes and how long were the intervals? Mileage on first oil change?
I changed my own oil at 4,800 miles once the knocking started. I used premium filter and full synthetic oil 5quartz recommended by manual. Which didn’t make a bit of difference. Changed oil every 4K miles until they finally noticed the knock at 12k.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
I changed my own oil at 4,800 miles once the knocking started. I used premium filter and full synthetic oil 5quartz recommended by manual. Which didn’t make a bit of difference. Changed oil every 4K miles until they finally noticed the knock at 12k.
When you get your new engine do the first oil change at 1k. Its a practice ive been doing for years. I did my JL at 1100mi.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

Okay y’all i hate to bump a thread again. But, the noise i’ve been hearing is on and off, and at first i thought it was oil related. But being that it happens on and off on a warm start(it’s most common on a warm start though). I’m starting to think that i’m just not used to the noises of a direct injection or it sounding like a diesel. So above i put the video link, my buddy who has an eco boost said his does it.

So if it is the injectors just being really loud, under what circumstances does the engine use a hpfp that would cause it to knock like this? And would it be caused by the ecu running in open or a closed loop?

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
What's the latest? That knock never sounded normal and I've owned a few four-bangers. I also own this 2.0 and it doesn't sound anything like yours. Yours has something extra going on.

Sponsored

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys

I've noticed my 2020 JLU Willys (non eTorque) makes this same knock when cold intermittently, its not all of the time but it's definitely noticeable. I'm wondering if I should my dealer investigate as well.

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

What dealership are you using as I also have a 2.0 and live in Winter Garden area and haven't been pleased with my current dealership?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
When you get your new engine do the first oil change at 1k. Its a practice ive been doing for years. I did my JL at 1100mi.
Be careful with such advice. Lots of stories that with modern engines with low friction rings if the break in oil is swapped for synthetic too soon the rings do not seat and you have an engine that will consume oil and have lower compression due to blow-by.

Following the vendors recommendations for break in and timing of the first oil change is the best advice for todays engines.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Be careful with such advice. Lots of stories that with modern engines with low friction rings if the break in oil is swapped for synthetic too soon the rings do not seat and you have an engine that will consume oil and have lower compression due to blow-by.

Following the vendors recommendations for break in and timing of the first oil change is the best advice for todays engines.
Does jeep/FCA make the 2.0 break-in recommendations public?

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
Does jeep/FCA make the 2.0 break-in recommendations public?
The Owner's Manual has a section titled "Engine Break-In Recommendations". You should be able to find it in the table of contents. It doesn't offer anything about when to change the oil, specific to the break-in period, but it does say, "brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in." There's more, check yours as mine will be different.
Sponsored