First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The Owner's Manual has a section titled "Engine Break-In Recommendations". You should be able to find it in the table of contents. It doesn't offer anything about when to change the oil, specific to the break-in period, but it does say, "brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in." There's more, check yours as mine will be different.
Correct, but the important part is it also does NOT state to do an early oil change. If you really want to do an early oil change don't put synthetic in but a conventional dead dinosaur oil so the rings can break in. They will not with synthetic oil.
Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Correct, but the important part is it also does NOT state to do an early oil change. If you really want to do an early oil change don't put synthetic in but a conventional dead dinosaur oil so the rings can break in. They will not with synthetic oil.
Man I really don't think it's good advice to put "dead dinosaur oil" in one of these. The direct injection requires oils that are resistant to carbon build up on the valves and pre-ignition. Thus the higher standard requirements for the oil with the 2.0. Due to this requirement (I'm just guessing here) I doubt there is any thing special for break-in in the factory oil.
Annotation 2020-01-29 080854.jpg

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This fallacy has been debunked for years. These are not your father's engines from the 60's and 70's. Perform your first oil change when recommended by your owner's manual and only use full synthetic oil. End of story.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Man I really don't think it's good advice to put "dead dinosaur oil" in one of these. The direct injection requires oils that are resistant to carbon build up on the valves and pre-ignition. Thus the higher standard requirements for the oil with the 2.0. Due to this requirement (I'm just guessing here) I doubt there is any thing special for break-in in the factory oil.
Annotation 2020-01-29 080854.jpg
Piston rings will not break in using synthetic oil, particularly low friction ones. This is far worse than the small amount of deposits in a DI engine in ~5000 miles running a normal oil. Filling with synthetic oil early is the worst possible advice one can make. You have guaranteed an engine that will consume oil and be down on power.

Also you are way overkill on the DI stuff and carbon buildup. VW/Audi have had DI for years and yes the normally aspirated models suffer all sorts of carbon buildup. But the forced induction engines have not as the higher manifold pressures tend to ensure the oil keeps moving versus getting stuck in the intake track and turning into deposits.

If you are really paranoid run some seafoam through the intake track at 5000 miles when you dump that factory oil and replace it.

The initial factory fill is dinosaur oil for break in purposes.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This fallacy has been debunked for years. These are not your father's engines from the 60's and 70's. Perform your first oil change when recommended by your owner's manual and only use full synthetic oil. End of story.
Correct, fully agree with you! I'm not advocating an early oil change. I am saying if you absolutely insist on doing an early oil change do not put in synthetic oil.

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Correct, fully agree with you! I'm not advocating an early oil change. I am saying if you absolutely insist on doing an early oil change do not put in synthetic oil.
Piston rings will not break in using synthetic oil, particularly low friction ones. This is far worse than the small amount of deposits in a DI engine in ~5000 miles running a normal oil. Filling with synthetic oil early is the worst possible advice one can make. You have guaranteed an engine that will consume oil and be down on power.

Also you are way overkill on the DI stuff and carbon buildup. VW/Audi have had DI for years and yes the normally aspirated models suffer all sorts of carbon buildup. But the forced induction engines have not as the higher manifold pressures tend to ensure the oil keeps moving versus getting stuck in the intake track and turning into deposits.

If you are really paranoid run some seafoam through the intake track at 5000 miles when you dump that factory oil and replace it.

The initial factory fill is dinosaur oil for break in purposes.
Do you really know the above statement to be a fact? Most of the discussions on this forum that I've seen believe the factory fill is Pennzoil Platinum 5-30.

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

my Jeep has the same knock and is currently being replaced. They are replacing the entire engine. Also, the service rear axel light came on and replacing front axel now and the soft top due to wear and tear after only 12k miles.
How long did the whole process take? Along with the actual motor swap?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you really know the above statement to be a fact? Most of the discussions on this forum that I've seen believe the factory fill is Pennzoil Platinum 5-30.
Yes, but with a break in additive. This has been confirmed on here by a couple people who work at the factory.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'd go with the engineers on this one and use synthetic. Modern engines don't really have a break in period like old engines.
Very incorrect information, and with low-friction rings you do not get a second chance and will end up with an engine that consumes oil and is down on power.

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The dealer let me pick up my Jeep. They said everything looks fine even though they don’t think the noise is normal (I know, odd). They are leaving the ticket open with corporate to see what they respond with, and will follow up with.

Sponsored

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just heard back from the dealership, they're ordering a new long block for me. They said it's about a 5 day job. Fingers crossed that does the trick.

Last edited:

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
The dealer let me pick up my Jeep. They said everything looks fine even though they don’t think the noise is normal (I know, odd). They are leaving the ticket open with corporate to see what they respond with, and will follow up with.
Do you have any videos of yours?

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
How about this noise? My ticking/knocking sound is all the time. I've put 5k miles on it in almost two months and it started around 3500 miles. This sound speeds up with increased rpm pressure. It's driving me nuts because I don't know if it's normal or not. This video was taken after a 900 mile trip.

It's the 2.0l with only premium fuel and premium oil/filter.
I don't, but it was virtually identical to this noise that @Silver_thunder posted.

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Going to post a video of mine in the morning. It sounds crazy lol. Performs great except for the 13mpg ha - 3.5 lift and 37’s mixed driving medium heavy foot in town and 75 or so on interstate.
About to change oil again. Let dealership do it first time as you get the free changes etc, but every time they touch it something goes wrong.
Changing myself tomorrow. Is there a certain oil and filter that folks have found to be better for these or just stick with oem?

PulaskiAS

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Cherokee Limited 2.0T / Dodge Avenger 2.4L
Going to post a video of mine in the morning. It sounds crazy lol. Performs great except for the 13mpg ha - 3.5 lift and 37’s mixed driving medium heavy foot in town and 75 or so on interstate.
About to change oil again. Let dealership do it first time as you get the free changes etc, but every time they touch it something goes wrong.
Changing myself tomorrow. Is there a certain oil and filter that folks have found to be better for these or just stick with oem?
Just had to pipe in on this one, dig up a old thread. I too went to dealer and was told the tattle on startup as normal, and to be on the record I would never let those fly boys change my oil. They lube the gasket and just screw on the EMPTY filter, I fill them. They claimed to have went out in the lot and started several of these engines and since they all made the same noise punched it's ticket as being normal. Now where going to talk oil filters and drain back. Remember they want SN Plus rated oil and for good reason, the extreme conditions it's subjected to in these engines especially pushing max boost of 28 lbs we got some real hot conditions and the stock filter has a basic rubber drain back valve in it. Coming straight from the dealer I unscrewed the filter and the oil just pored out like it was in a drinking glass, the valve didn't work. We all know silicone rubber stands up against heat way better then plain old rubber so I drained everything and bought the STP extended life S10060XL with the silicone anti drain back valve and Havoline Pro DS rated SN PLUS and the startup noise is almost none existent. The rubber valve in the stock filter isn't up to the task. I've been a auto tech my entire life and bought the shop I worked at for 37 years and the noise sounded like what you would hear during a oil change on the first startup. I have tried all oils in my gas powered toys and cars and the Pro DS by Chevron is what they all like running smoother and quiet.
Sponsored