Normal JL Clunking?

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hey guys. I have a brand new 2021 JLUR, Under 1,000 miles and already put on the AEV 2.5 Lift with 37 Nittos. I told the service rep at Jeep to check out a clunking noise that I hear in low gears and low speeds. Usually in parking lots or doing soft stops at a stop sign. It seems like the sweet spot is 7-8 mph and there is a soft clunk which seems to be in the rear somewhere. I don't feel it I only hear it. Does anyone else experience minor soft clunks at low speeds. It seems like there is some play somewhere when accelerating. This only happens when I tap the gas very lightly at low speeds. The tech at Jeep said it's very normal but I don't believe anything Jeep service techs say. Would love to hear some feedback as it's driving me crazy
Sponsored

ajridgedell

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Well mine does that, sometimes I hear it just idling too. I have been curiouse about it, but I'll assume its normal since yours does it too and I don't see anything else wrong with mine. 2021 JLR 2.0.

Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
If you do a search for clunking noise LSD you will find a hornets nest of the same issue. Apparently there is an issues with the rear diff since 2018. Some people have had all the bearing, ring/pinion replaced only to have the issue come back due to loose tolerances in the LSD carrier.
My wifes just started doing it as well.
So far there is not a solid "fix" for it

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
Check the jack. The jack is held in place with a little ⬆ up tension. The tension on mine had backed off just enough to let the jack move around a little. It is worth checking..

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Check your front tie rod end links. Mine were loose from the get go.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
If you do a search for clunking noise LSD you will find a hornets nest of the same issue. Apparently there is an issues with the rear diff since 2018. Some people have had all the bearing, ring/pinion replaced only to have the issue come back due to loose tolerances in the LSD carrier.
My wifes just started doing it as well.
So far there is not a solid "fix" for it

OP has a Rubicon so this shouldn't be it. No LSD in the locker-equipped D44s.

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
OP has a Rubicon so this shouldn't be it. No LSD in the locker-equipped D44s.
Not the LSD, I don't think I have one since I have a Rubicon. From experience with my JK (which had the same issue, everyone said it was fine) it seems to be play in the driveshaft/rear. All other components are tight. If I had to self diagnose it I would say that this sound is always there but when you put 37s on it exaggerates it a bit. Like I said it only happens at low speeds when I tap the gas

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As you say, it’s very possible it’s in the driveline. I don’t hear that same clunk as you in the rear but the jeep always clunks when I put it in reverse especially if the jeep is cold. And also, my front diff always clunks when I take it in and out of 4H; I hear a nice clunk after I put it in 4H and accelerate a little, probably because of the FAD connecting and the front diff gears starting to spin, and I hear a lower clunk when I go back to 2H. I also hear the sound of the electric motor of the FAD as it engages and disengages but the clunk seems to be coming from the diff itself. I assume it’s normal.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
If you have adjustable track bars, make certain the mechanism that locks them to their set length is tight and to torque spec. Ask me how I know, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
As you say, it’s very possible it’s in the driveline. I don’t hear that same clunk as you in the rear but the jeep always clunks when I put it in reverse especially if the jeep is cold. And also, my front diff always clunks when I take it in and out of 4H; I hear a nice clunk after I put it in 4H and accelerate a little, probably because of the FAD connecting and the front diff gears starting to spin, and I hear a lower clunk when I go back to 2H. I also hear the sound of the electric motor of the FAD as it engages and disengages but the clunk seems to be coming from the diff itself. I assume it’s normal.
I'm just curious as to what it is making the noise. If it's normal that's fine, the tech can't seem to accurately tell me what it is but says it's normal. I'll change the clunk to more like a pop, as a clunk on paper sounds worse than a pop. This could just be normal gear changing and it's hard for people to hear it if their not listening to it. I just have some leverage at the dealer if it's something major to fix with 1,000 miles on it vs 30,000 down the road

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'll also add that the sound is similar but not as loud as when you put your jeep in reverse when your on a hill. It seems to be a similar sound but much softer

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'll also add that the sound is similar but not as loud as when you put your jeep in reverse when your on a hill. It seems to be a similar sound but much softer
It may be from the new suspension components. The clunk may be the normal play between accel and decel in the driveline. Did your lift include new control arms? Usually the bushings in after market control are stiffer and transmit more noise through the chassis.

$.02

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm just curious as to what it is making the noise. If it's normal that's fine, the tech can't seem to accurately tell me what it is but says it's normal. I'll change the clunk to more like a pop, as a clunk on paper sounds worse than a pop. This could just be normal gear changing and it's hard for people to hear it if their not listening to it. I just have some leverage at the dealer if it's something major to fix with 1,000 miles on it vs 30,000 down the road
I’m no expert at all but from what I know, the ring and pinion gears are designed to have play. Now I don’t know how much play they have but, at least when it comes to my front diff, I think if the amount of play is large enough, the sound may possibly be from the pinion gear starting to spin and one of its’ teeth making contact with one of the teeth on the ring gear and that fast contact is what makes the noise. This might be completely wrong but I can’t imagine what else it can be, especially with my front diff, since it only makes the noise once i put it into 4H and only after I accelerate. The noise isn’t there if go into 4H and I just depress the brake pedal and let the jeep roll. This also tells me that the noise may be gear contact since I only hear it if I accelerate, which causes the pinion gear to spin rapidly from a stop so the tooth contact with the ring gear has more force and so it makes a louder sound. But yeah this assumption might be totally wrong because I don’t know much about diffs.

rocksarntpeople

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR Diesel, '08 BMW M135i
I experience something similar. Stock 2019 JLU Sahara with 37,000 miles. I have tried to get it looked at for about a year and half and no dealer can seem to answer what it is or what's causing it.

For what its worth though, for me it has progressively gotten louder and more violent and recently over the past 2 weeks, the "Service 4WD" light has been going on and off. Im not sure weather its related, but its going back in to the shop to get it checked again tomorrow so I will report back with any findings.
Sponsored