Sponsored

Clunking noise in drivetrain. Is this normal?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have the same issue. Mine occurs during rapid acceleration mainly when turning at the same time. I have a Sahara with the Dana 44. It occasionally happens at traffic lights but usually only when pulling out of parking spots or accelerating when in a turning lane. Anyone else experience this?
That sounds like the LSD
Acceleration during a turn is probably where you'll find the most difference in rotations between the rear wheels.
Sponsored

JCMoore

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
My 2018 JLU Sport V6 manual Trans LSD does the same thing. It makes a loud clunk noise sometimes when taking off from a complete stop. I can try and baby my take offs from a stop but it will still make a loud clunk. You can even feel it in the seat when it happens. I even can hear it with the radio and air on.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I have a '19 Sport with a LSD and get a clunk, sometimes. I personally have thought nothing of it because I have had Ford Rangers with LSDs that have such a huge clunk that you'd swear the drive shaft was turning a full quarter turn without anything happening, or that the rear axle was loose in the spring u-bolts! Both of those trucks grew to be very old and gray (200K plus miles) with no catastrophic failures. There are some things I am disgusted about with my JL but that clunk isn't one of them. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I'm updating here on this thread. The clunking and low speed rotational clunk has been fixed. The issue was with the rear axle. It was replaced with a new one. So far so good. There is the occasional clunk at low speeds with due to load change, I believe its the lash in the pinion gear. I consider it normal.

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl sport
Any update on this? I’m getting the same noise when I let go of the gas and then press the gas again before a full stop I have 5.38 gears on rubicon axles in a sport jeep and Adams 1350 drive shafts

Sponsored

MonsterTofu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon V6
I'm updating here on this thread. The clunking and low speed rotational clunk has been fixed. The issue was with the rear axle. It was replaced with a new one. So far so good. There is the occasional clunk at low speeds with due to load change, I believe its the lash in the pinion gear. I consider it normal.
did the dealer fix it? my local dealer is not budging and is asking me to contact jeep for a STAR case...

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
did the dealer fix it? my local dealer is not budging and is asking me to contact jeep for a STAR case...
They replaced the axle over 4 years ago. The clunking came back maybe a year after it was replaced. I learned to live with it, I try to avoid driving it as to avoid the clunks. Easy modulation of the throttle and avoid abrupt speed changes at low speeds, but not always possible. I plan on taking it in before my extended warranty runs out this year, but I don't have high hopes they'll acknowledge it and say its normal.

MonsterTofu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon V6
They replaced the axle over 4 years ago. The clunking came back maybe a year after it was replaced. I learned to live with it, I try to avoid driving it as to avoid the clunks. Easy modulation of the throttle and avoid abrupt speed changes at low speeds, but not always possible. I plan on taking it in before my extended warranty runs out this year, but I don't have high hopes they'll acknowledge it and say its normal.
Thanks for the update. That's what I've been trying to do as well. This is so frustrating, but I guess its part of the ownership experience.

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, what an old thread. I had an 18 Sahara manual with the LSD. It also made that clunking sound. For mine it would make it whenever I would roll to a stop in neutral. Once I started forward again it would clunk really loud, but I never felt it in the pedals or the floor. I also took it to the dealer, but they couldn't replicate the clunk. So I just assumed it was because it was a manual because they were clunky anyway. I sold it after 3 years and bought a Rubicon with a manual. I haven't had any clunks yet in it. I'm glad I got the Rubicon even though I wanted another Sahara. But Jeep wasn't offering the Saharas with the manual in 23. I had to settle for a Rubicon. :CWL:

BADBREW

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JLUR
My 2020 JLUR is at the dealership for the same “clunking and popping” complaint. The vehicle started feeling like it was getting rougher and the clunking getting louder. Locker sensor failed and was showing front and rear lockers engaged in 2H. Diagnosed to down to Driveshafts needing replaced. Vehicle has been at dealership for five days and counting. Thank goodness it’s still under warranty.
My suggestion is if you are experiencing this, get it looked at sooner than later for obvious reasons. Good luck.
Sponsored