Vehicle Showcase

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It’s the combined slack between the components of the drivetrain, especially the rear diff. It’s normal. Just drive.

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It’s the combined slack between the components of the drivetrain, especially the rear diff. It’s normal. Just drive.
Do you experience the same sound?

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Im wondering if there is a corelation between the clunking issues with M220 (D44) LSD equipped axel and the locking diff on the Rubi?
I wonder if the issue is actually a housing issue ?

here is the 100+ page link for that.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-103
I read through this one and commented on it a couple week ago. Problem is I'm not sure if this is even the same issue, a click, clank, bang, tick, clunk can be used to describe a million different things. This seems to be when I lightly engage the throttle I hear almost like a pop like the teeth are gripping if that makes sense. It's very minimal but again it's brand new so just want to do the necessary steps to make sure it's nothing serious

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Exactly what I was thinking.

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I have this exact same sound. 2019 JL sport with LSD rear. At low speeds when I tap the accelerator it sounds like the excess play in the driveline gets quickly taken up and a pop is heard as the vehicle moves forward. I can replicate the sound easily. I plan to take it in closer to when my warranty is set to expire and see what they say, I anticipate they will say its normal, but sure seems to be getting worse/louder.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OP. I have a 2021 JLUR and have battled with this exact "soft clunk". It happens on occasion when braking approaching a stop sign, and when accelerating after that stop. Steering angle is not a factor. Best way to reproduce is at a parking lot and accelerating hard in reverse than braking, then put in drive and accelerate fast than brake.​
In my case, after checking all bolts, and being convinced they were all tight, I decided to add 10% torque to all bolts. Low and behold right rear LCA arm turned a full 1/2 turn and clunking stopped.​
6 months later (yesterday) clunking returned - it was so cold that I hastily checked torque, then had to drive my gf somewhere. Only thing slightly loose (1/8 of a turn) was track bar pinch bolt. Didn't hear the clunk on the drive - but more test required.​
So.... most likely one of your control arm bolts or trackbar is under torqued, but because of surface corrosion/binding/inertia, you can only find it by going slightly over torqued.​
I hope this helps. Good luck. Keep us posted.​
P.S. I should mention, the proper procedure is to loosen, then retorque to spec. I'm not recommending that anyone overtorque any bolts. I'm just sharing what I did that worked for me.​

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
OP. I have a 2021 JLUR and have battled with this exact "soft clunk". It happens on occasion when braking approaching a stop sign, and when accelerating after that stop. Steering angle is not a factor. Best way to reproduce is at a parking lot and accelerating hard in reverse than braking, then put in drive and accelerate fast than brake.​
In my case, after checking all bolts, and being convinced they were all tight, I decided to add 10% torque to all bolts. Low and behold right rear LCA arm turned a full 1/2 turn and clunking stopped.​
6 months later (yesterday) clunking returned - it was so cold that I hastily checked torque, then had to drive my gf somewhere. Only thing slightly loose (1/8 of a turn) was track bar pinch bolt. Didn't hear the clunk on the drive - but more test required.​
So.... most likely one of your control arm bolts or trackbar is under torqued, but because of surface corrosion/binding/inertia, you can only find it by going slightly over torqued.​
I hope this helps. Good luck. Keep us posted.​
P.S. I should mention, the proper procedure is to loosen, then retorque to spec. I'm not recommending that anyone overtorque any bolts. I'm just sharing what I did that worked for me.​
Interesting you say that! The tech originally said that he heard the clunk and it was because of bolts in the rear control arms not being torqued correctly. I pick the vehicle up. The clunk is still there so I went for a test drive with the tech. He explained how that clunk is normal. Same clunk he apparently fixed, maybe he didn’t even torque it correctly. Jeep is still in the shop. Will give updates when I get them. I also have an appt with a Jeep mechanic early January so if service dept can’t figure it out the Jeep guy will. I’m just nervous it’s something in the drivetrain, but would be weird for something to happen with 1,000 miles on it

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m just nervous it’s something in the drivetrain, but would be weird for something to happen with 1,000 miles on it
It's very easy to tell suspension vs driveline apart. Start the vehicle in reverse at some speed. Put into neutral, and let it coast for a sec. Hit the brakes. Noise = suspension. No noise = driveline. Do the same going forward.

In my case, I can reproduce this letting the vehicle roll backwards in my driveway (inclined) than hitting the brakes with vehicle in neutral. So clearly suspension, not driveline.

Sponsored

RAIDEDR_JLU

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hey there! Newb to the forum but not to Jeeps. I'm on my third Jeep now; a manual 2020 JLU Willys. I got it new in May 2020. Had a 3" Teraflex lift, new Fox shocks, a new Falcon stabilizer, and 35s (Duratracs) installed in May 2021. After about a month I noticed a light thunk sound when I begin slowing down for a stop or begin to accelerate out of one. I did NOT have the sound for the entire year beforehand. I have spent the better part of the last year year now taking it to different places and I'm still trying to figure it out.

The dealership claims the pinion angle is maxed out from the lift and that it is "too tight". The people who installed the lift insist there is no issue with any of that and have checked it twice over, going back over all their work (one time right in front of me) and found nothing loose or in any kind of danger. I've had an independent garage check too. No one can find a culprit. U-Joints, links, sway bars, drive shaft, axle, etc.; every bolt appears to be in its place and in working order. Every place maintains it is safe and no long term damage is being done. So I'm always left scratching my head.

For me, it thunks along with the revolutions or movement, so I immediately suspect driveshaft and pinion somehow. Either there is slipping or something rubbing or... god, I don't know. It also seems to come from the back. I've considered having the rear driveshaft upgraded to Adams or another as my next upgrade. The aftermarket ones are thinner than the stock JLU drive shaft and maybe getting that along with fresh U-Joints could alleviate the issue. Any thoughts on this?

It is a nuisance for sure. Granted, you can't hear it outside and my music is usually blocking it out anyways. But when I have passengers in the car, I have to reassure them it is fine! Haha

Last edited:

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there! Newb to the forum but not to Jeeps. I'm on my third Jeep now; a manual 2020 JLU Willys. I got it new in May 2020. Had a 3" Teraflex lift, new Fox shocks, a new Falcon stabilizer, and 35s (Duratracs) installed in May 2021. After about a month I noticed a light thunk sound when I begin slowing down for a stop or begin to accelerate out of one. I did NOT have the sound for the entire year beforehand. I have spent the better part of the last year year now taking it to different places and I'm still trying to figure it out.

The dealership claims the pinion angle is maxed out from the lift and that it is "too tight". The people who installed the lift insist there is no issue with any of that and have checked it twice over, going back over all their work (one time right in front of me) and found nothing loose or in any kind of danger. I've had an independent garage check too. No one can find a culprit. U-Joints, links, sway bars, drive shaft, axle, etc.; every bolt appears to be in its place and in working order. Every place maintains it is safe and no long term damage is being done. So I'm always left scratching my head.

For me, it thunks along with the revolutions or movement, so I immediately suspect driveshaft and pinion somehow. Either there is slipping or something rubbing or... god, I don't know. It also seems to come from the back. I've considered having the rear driveshaft upgraded to Adams or another as my next upgrade. The aftermarket ones are thinner than the stock JLU drive shaft and maybe getting that along with fresh U-Joints could alleviate the issue. Any thoughts on this?

It is a nuisance for sure. Granted, you can't hear it outside and my music is usually blocking it out anyways. But when I have passengers in the car, I have to reassure them it is fine! Haha
I have a 2018 Sport S with Limited Slip Differential - LSD. I do not have a lift only 305 tires.

I experienced the same symptoms you mentioned albeit I really noticed when I was slowing down coming to a stop and sometimes on accelerating. Dealer said the breaks needed replacing. So I replaced the a four brakes pads and had rotors turned. Picked up from the dealer and within 1 mile I noticed I still had the problem. Immediately took it back to the dealer. They had it for four days and could not diagnose the problem. I posted my symptoms on a Jeep JL Facebook page and was told by a member who has a Jeep and is a mechanic at a dealership that it was the LSD. Called the dealer to explain to them. Sure enough they had to replace the rear end which Im assuming they meant they replaced the carrier. Problem solved.

Good luck!

Richardrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys Sport
Hey guys. I have a brand new 2021 JLUR, Under 1,000 miles and already put on the AEV 2.5 Lift with 37 Nittos. I told the service rep at Jeep to check out a clunking noise that I hear in low gears and low speeds. Usually in parking lots or doing soft stops at a stop sign. It seems like the sweet spot is 7-8 mph and there is a soft clunk which seems to be in the rear somewhere. I don't feel it I only hear it. Does anyone else experience minor soft clunks at low speeds. It seems like there is some play somewhere when accelerating. This only happens when I tap the gas very lightly at low speeds. The tech at Jeep said it's very normal but I don't believe anything Jeep service techs say. Would love to hear some feedback as it's driving me crazy
New 2023 Willys. I've pinpointed my driveline clunk to the front end (maybe drivers side?) and usually only upon pressing the gas while turning right at lower speeds (2nd / 3rd gear). It's somewhat soft but I think I can reproduce it for a tech in a few weeks. Any guesses?
Sponsored