(non) off-road shaming - why?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Playing the Iron Butt card? Oh, snap. :)
Iron butt? 150 miles across the desert on the original off-road vehicles.;) Shame on you Jeepers with your power steering, airconditioning and heated seats. These had the original heated seat. šŸ¤Ŗ
Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? 008_5.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? 010_7.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
Because people love to criticize.
As a fellow tried and true Rush fan, I have also received my share criticism and questioning on my choices. People just want to talk crap about others. Makes them feel better about themselves.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I saw this title of the thread and knew I had to post here for a non off-road incident.
Was driving into work early this morning before anyone else and forgot the access road in has a LARGE speedbump. Hit it at about 30mph. Vehicle seems ok but steering slightly looser (maybe my imagination).
I'm pretty handy, but I don't know what to look for as far as possible axle damage. Any advice/thoughts? Could I have blown the steering damper that was part of the recall? Feel free to shame me for possibly injuring the Jeep basically in a parking lot :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this title of the thread and knew I had to post here for a non off-road incident.
Was driving into work early this morning before anyone else and forgot the access road in has a LARGE speedbump. Hit it at about 30mph. Vehicle seems ok but steering slightly looser (maybe my imagination).
I'm pretty handy, but I don't know what to look for as far as possible axle damage. Any advice/thoughts? Could I have blown the steering damper that was part of the recall? Feel free to shame me for possibly injuring the Jeep basically in a parking lot :)
Do a shake down on the nuts and bolts. Look at your swaybar links and ball joint castle nuts specifically.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How very true!! Anything on the water, raced, or used off road is a money pit for sure. It's not just limited to the Jeeps.
Use it hard, spend hard. A concept many young ones haven't quite come to realize.

I was a moderator on a truck forum and a yound guy was talking about jumping his brand new truck. LOL.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Buying a Wrangler and not taking it off road is like playing snooker with golf clubs.

The Wrangler is a functional vehicle (Function over form).
Is that anything like playing desert golf with a AR-15 with a grenade launcher?

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s my short, concise answer to the OPā€™s original question:

Even assholes buy Jeeps.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I will put it out there.
I got the winch bc it looked bada$$ with my bumper. I will never use it. Im actually afraid of them. However, if someone was in a jam, I would def allow them to use Her Highness and her winch. I'm a winch poser.
You are not alone, 95% or more are winch poser. I try and never use my winch.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Hey? Contradicting yourself? You just let everyone know! :LOL: They probably figured it out about 800 post back anyway. Your replies are pretty quick wit. That was a dead give away!

Your Gram probably read the Art of War by Sun-Tzu.
I have read the Art of War by Sun-Tau. I also enjoyed The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. Both books are books that should be read a couple pages at a time and then pondered upon and attempt to understand the wisdom within the message so they can be properly applied to life.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Non Offroad shaming now thatā€™s just funny. Been wheeling moderately now for 3 years and I must say itā€™s been good times but Iā€™m getting burned out. Canā€™t get myself to spend anymore on this shit. And Iā€™ve spent quite a bit of cash.
Took the Jeep in for the steering box and a fuel line warranty and they tell me my tie rod ends are worn. With 25k miles šŸ˜…šŸ˜…. For a hardcore wheeler no problem whatā€™s another 300 in parts and a few hours of wrenching? But we all know it wonā€™t stop there. Drag link ends, pitman arm, control arms, ball joints, it never ends.
The non Offroad doesnā€™t worth about this shit so I donā€™t share them at all!
In all honesty, the Jeep is way cheaper to maintain than a SxS, and overall cost is way cheaper than a SxS. I think the front brake pads on my SxS were like $80 and lasted about 600 miles. The drive belt was $250 and I could go through a couple in a year if I drove it hard. The tie rod ends, were expensive, the coolant was $12 a pint. I broke one of the rear axles, that caused some other damage too. It was $1300 with me doing all the labor. The same cost as taking my Jeep to the shop and having the ring and pinion replaced after ripping two feet off the pinion gear, and all the bearing in the rear replaced. Now a SxS is almost the same cost as a JL sport 2dr. Yet, a SxS is whipped at less than 10,000 miles. Think about that for a minute.

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I have to admit....our BMWs got way way more compliments. Haven't gotten but 2 on the Jeep, and one was from my 73 year old Dad who surprisingly likes it a lot! My mom didn't even have much to say about it.

The reason is because people love status. Or they hate yellow cars! But seriously, they do love status, and foreign cars convey status. A boring black BMW sedan is a status symbol. A bright yellow Jeep is just a jeep. )

Easily explainable, Luxury vehicles belong to a different crowd.

The Jeep in its coolness and affordable prices ''before just a few years ago'' please people from red necks to teenagers to ''normal'' people. And these people don't hesitate to compliment a Jeep owner.

Higher end BMWs, Porsches and more exotics trigger more jealousy and besides teenagers that know cars, people are too proud to acknowledge these vehicles.....

Every time I drove the 911, I saw people point at my car from far, but force themselves to ignore me as I drive by them. In the Jeep, I get thumbs-up all the time.

View attachment 523526

I experience the same thing. Our Mercedes GLC 300 Coupe gets way more attention than my Jeep - and given the choice - I always grab the keys to the Jeep first. don't get me wrong, I appreciate the MB on a long trip, rides smooth and is quiet as hell. However, right after I bough the MB I had a neighbor stop by when I was washing it. He asked me when I was going to upgrade the Jeep to a Mercedes. After a long stare, I told him I felt that would be a downgrade. Even after some more conversation, I still think he walked away confused.
Sponsored