First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Guys, all noise control efforts will have limitations due to space, weight, economic, and labor, and existing noise levels.

I've avoided doing a similar project in my trucks for years, due to the labor effort. It wasn't insignificant. But I had a good attitude going in. I didn't care about a deadline nor did I work on it when I didn't want to. I also wanted a project for our latest lockdown.

Are the results worth the effort? For me, yes. But if you have your doubts about it for yourself, you should not attempt this.

I can tell you I am very pleased every time I drive it. Ymmv.
I am glad you are doing it. It provides a lot of insight for others that are thinking of doing the same thing. Your photos are also very good. There is no project that isn't worth doing if you have fun doing it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am glad you are doing it. It provides a lot of insight for others that are thinking of doing the same thing. Your photos are also very good. There is no project that isn't worth doing if you have fun doing it.
I enjoyed it, probably because I really wanted a good result and, importantly, I didn't have pressure to work on it when I didn't feel like it. So, it was on my terms (retired and have other vehicles to drive).

I was stressed out just seeing everything you took apart. I'd be so so lost, I'd have to ship it back to Ohio to be put back together 🤣
LOL. I hear you. But, I had a bit of a primer in 2019 when I put in the tow'd factory brake light harness and had to access all the wiring along the passenger side. And when taking it apart, I referenced my Tech Authority Service Manual as well as taking lots of pictures. While I did reference the pix on occasion when re-installing everything, most of it was self evident.

When you do a disassembly like this, you just have to think of it as one part at a time, or you'll chicken out. Putting it back together, same mental approach. But sometimes you get assembly of something ahead of what's required. No problem. Just undo a few things and go back at it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Great, thanks to this thread, I was driving home on the highway last night by myself. I had the radio muted and was listening to everything I could hear outside. I noticed mostly some wind, my tires and trucks next to me.
Do you guys know what I’m gonna do now?...............Turn up the damn radio!

All kidding aside, thanks for your hard work and share RCP.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

hollywood323

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I hear you. ;)

I've been around the seals a bit. Probably could stand to shim more in a few places. In this pandemic and me being retired, I am out of projects, just having completed a novelty gift compressed air gun. A guy has to do something. So, I thought I'd tackle the sound reduction. Frankly, I may get rid of the JL in a year or two, if our RV plans don't materialize, and just buy another sportscar. I have a fullsize 4x4 crewcab that is nicer to travel in and does 95% of the trails I use for bird hunting, and carries more. The JL was going to be the toad for the RV if we traveled across the country in our retirement.

My last project finished before Christmas with no practical application.

epWGe4N - Imgur.jpg
20201210_153443 (1).jpg
Got a build sheet for this haha
Sponsored