No cabin heat + CEL

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
My 4xe spent 3.5 days at the dealer this week for the front end popping noise, and a no cabin heat issue. Dealer says they escalated to Chrysler because the no heat issue had no known resolution. Chrysler replied yesterday that they are sending a field engineer to the dealer to load different software to my Jeep. I wasnā€™t given an eta on when that would happen, and I took my Jeep versus letting it sit there (no loaner was offered).

I have to keep reminding myself that first model year vehicles always have bugs.
Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
whoa, no heat and new software. All us 4xe owners should be concerned I think

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
Got a call that the Jeep tech would be available to load the new software to my 4xe earlier this week. Took it in, and was called and told later it was ready. The good - the CEL is off. Max regen is also sticky now (woohoo). However, I still donā€™t have cabin heat. Took it back, and they say that Jeep has to order a heater core temp sensor, and there is no eta.

The clicking noise that I had reported was finally fixed, but they couldnā€™t tell me what the culprit was (ball joint torque or something else). Was just told that the tech torqued everything in the suspension.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
It gets cold enough in Nashville in August to try cabin heat? I haven't even thought about touching that button yet.

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
It was 61 degrees this morning. At 55mph, thatā€™s pretty chilly.

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
My 4xe spent 3.5 days at the dealer this week for the front end popping noise, and a no cabin heat issue. Dealer says they escalated to Chrysler because the no heat issue had no known resolution. Chrysler replied yesterday that they are sending a field engineer to the dealer to load different software to my Jeep. I wasnā€™t given an eta on when that would happen, and I took my Jeep versus letting it sit there (no loaner was offered).

I have to keep reminding myself that first model year vehicles always have bugs.
Don't fret. Software bugs are best kind since they are fixed easily.

Design bugs like the misuse of aluminum in the body components causing corrosion are impossible to fix without a production line fix (robot reprogramming, line worker retraining, improved components and alloys, meaning new specs to vendor, new contracts...

at which point jeep says "well fuggit, just wait for JM redesign" :(

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
Another week and no update from the dealer. Temps were in the upper 50s last week on the drive in to drop my daughters at school. Had to put the top up as they would have frozen on the 15 minute drive.

Iā€™m glad this didnā€™t happen in the winter. But my patience is growing quite thin.

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
And the Jeep Cares hotline was useless. Not sure if anyone has a valid experience where they actually helped, but my experience is not positive. The staff monitoring this website asked to be kept informed, but I should be asking that of them.

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
CEL came back on today. Not enough time before supper to get the code read.

Still Zero cabin heat while on electric mode or hybrid mode with no ICE running. Odd enough is that the cabin heat works when the ICE heats up to operating temps. Given my normal route around town, the ICE seldom comes on.

Still no word out of the dealer on when the part or parts will be here. Jeep Cares proved to be window dressing only. YMMV. Iā€™ll send my letter to Stellantis next week asking to start the buyback process. I believe that cabin heat is a pretty big deal, especially as we approach fall and winter. I figure if I get the case started now, and it isnā€™t fully fixed in a month, Iā€™ll buy another vehicle.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
CEL came back on today. Not enough time before supper to get the code read.

Still Zero cabin heat while on electric mode or hybrid mode with no ICE running. Odd enough is that the cabin heat works when the ICE heats up to operating temps. Given my normal route around town, the ICE seldom comes on.

Still no word out of the dealer on when the part or parts will be here. Jeep Cares proved to be window dressing only. YMMV. Iā€™ll send my letter to Stellantis next week asking to start the buyback process. I believe that cabin heat is a pretty big deal, especially as we approach fall and winter. I figure if I get the case started now, and it isnā€™t fully fixed in a month, Iā€™ll buy another vehicle.
I believe they are two different heaters. Might want to run it in eSave for now when you must have heat.

Sponsored

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
I tried that, and learned that eSave does not work to run the engine at stop lights or under low power conditions. Or when the battery is fully charged. Kind of makes it hard to run the defroster when you first need to get going in the morning, if you know what I mean.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I tried that, and learned that eSave does not work to run the engine at stop lights or under low power conditions. Or when the battery is fully charged. Kind of makes it hard to run the defroster when you first need to get going in the morning, if you know what I mean.
Because of your heating issue, you're in a weird position where you want to override the inherent fuel saving measures, but there are little tricks to do just that while you wait/work on getting your issue resolved one way or another.

For low speed, or first thing in the morning, put it in manual shifting mode to force the engine on.

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
I do appreciate the suggestion. The manual mode shifting is a pain for me, especially in stop and go traffic. The simplest thing is to stop charging it, and run it with <1% on the battery. But that completely defeats the plug-in part of PHEV. It looks like Iā€™ll have to do that as we are looking at forecasted temps in the 40s here this week.

Still no response or update from the dealer.

OP
OP

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
stopped in the dealer to have the CEL checked. Error was for a temperature sensor - which was the part that was ordered. And while asking what we were going to do next, found out that said part was delivered on Saturday (to my service advisorā€™s surprise). Left the Jeep there for the day, and I can confirm that the issue has been fixed as of this morning. Heat works in both hybrid / electric setting, as well as when the engine is running. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

hewhohateme

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$xe, 6.7 powerstroke
stopped in the dealer to have the CEL checked. Error was for a temperature sensor - which was the part that was ordered. And while asking what we were going to do next, found out that said part was delivered on Saturday (to my service advisorā€™s surprise). Left the Jeep there for the day, and I can confirm that the issue has been fixed as of this morning. Heat works in both hybrid / electric setting, as well as when the engine is running. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Sorry to bring up an old post but i have the same issue with my 4xe but its semi random. What did the dealer do to fix? Does it still work good after dealer fixed?
Sponsored