Sponsored

Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Is this a common problem and what happens if you don’t have a dealer who will “mistakenly” note you have a DTC?
Haha still passing the time waiting for your 392 to come in? I don't have any data, but I have this problem too, so it's common to me! I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet, so we'll see how that goes. Worst case, it will be firing up the engine all winter and we'll end up in fuel oil refresh mode frequently. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it is actually related to a software update. It did start after my last dealer visit when updates were applied. But of course that could be coincidence.

Since I lease, I'm not personally concerned about long term consequences if the issue remains unresolved. But I can certainly empathize with those who will have their's for a long time!
Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Haha still passing the time waiting for your 392 to come in? I don't have any data, but I have this problem too, so it's common to me! I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet, so we'll see how that goes. Worst case, it will be firing up the engine all winter and we'll end up in fuel oil refresh mode frequently. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it is actually related to a software update. It did start after my last dealer visit when updates were applied. But of course that could be coincidence.

Since I lease, I'm not personally concerned about long term consequences if the issue remains unresolved. But I can certainly empathize with those who will have their's for a long time!
Yes, it’s taking forever! My dealer says it looks like my 392 will be delivered late October. A girl I work with has been considering to buy a 4xe Saharah, so I have been poking into them to learn all I can. She has no interest in the 392 and likes the idea of being able to charge every evening with minimal gas stops. She also wanted something with more pep than the 3.6 or 2.0👍

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Love this jeep, but it is a frustrating problem. It doesn’t keep it from being useable just not useable as intended for short bursts. I just hope I’ll have it fixed by winter cause I love running it a 10 minute cycle in the closed garage on early ski mornings. Come out to a nice toasty interior unplug and drive away! Can’t do that if the engine may randomly fire up

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Clearly not over worried. This was days before my scheduled dealer drop

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling 2230C276-2C69-4435-A860-E1A4AC994B6F

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Yes, it’s taking forever! My dealer says it looks like my 392 will be delivered late October. A girl I work with has been considering to buy a 4xe Saharah, so I have been poking into them to learn all I can. She has no interest in the 392 and likes the idea of being able to charge every evening with minimal gas stops. She also wanted something with more pep than the 3.6 or 2.0👍
I think it's Sahara

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
We’ll after 21 days they finally think it’s the problem I showed them on day 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling E72CF0C0-5BF9-4F2E-B785-A323AC41AA44

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
We’ll after 21 days they finally think it’s the problem I showed them on day 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling E72CF0C0-5BF9-4F2E-B785-A323AC41AA44
OMG dude I would lose my mind. Hope they can manage to order you one before winter.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Love this jeep, but it is a frustrating problem. It doesn’t keep it from being useable just not useable as intended for short bursts. I just hope I’ll have it fixed by winter cause I love running it a 10 minute cycle in the closed garage on early ski mornings. Come out to a nice toasty interior unplug and drive away! Can’t do that if the engine may randomly fire up
Please keep us posted. I live in Breck and have this issue. Once you get yours resolved, I'd like to take ours to the same dealership. I doubt our small dealership in Summit Cnty will be of much help. Want to get resolved before ski season.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Please keep us posted. I live in Breck and have this issue. Once you get yours resolved, I'd like to take ours to the same dealership. I doubt our small dealership in Summit Cnty will be of much help. Want to get resolved before ski season.
Day 29 just got the call to come get it - I hope as this becomes more prevalent they don’t take so long… this doesn’t account for the 6 days in the shop for a total of 35 days for this one issue.

they said since replacing the battery coolant pump they haven’t replicated the problem. I can better detail what was done when I get the papers

I took it to Larry H Miller on Havana in Aurora. Other than the extremely long repair time a decent dealership experience.

I would STRONGLY suggest against autonation Jeep on arapahoe in Centennial. I kind of want to call them to tell them how dumb they are, I will never step foot back in that Sh!thole. Sad because we also used the Autonation Subaru across the street and had a great experience.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Thanks for the reply. We've got an appointment at the local place & plan on brining all of this research. I'm going to give them a chance knowing they are very low volume and likely haven't encountered this issue, but they seem to have common sense so may utilize the info I provide.

If no luck here, I'll be making the trip down the mountain to your guy!

The battery coolant pump makes sense to me based on what we've been experiencing. Our has been starting on ICE, but then when out about 4-5 miles it'll switch to electric. It's almost like the Jeep knows the pump isn't working so won't use electric power to avoid heat damage, but then when it realizes the outside temp is relatively cool and temps are safe it runs on battery. Obviously, this is all just conjecture on my part.

As a side note about Autonation Jeep - we were looking for a larger SUV and wanted to look at the Grand Wagoneer (ended up getting a GX instead). We stopped at Autonation on the west side of Denver, near Golden. All of their Grand Wagoneers were locked and they wouldn't open the door without getting all of our personal information first. Tried to take us to a salesman's cubicle before even being able to open the door of one. We told them we weren't going through this process as all we wanted to do was look inside and sit in drivers seat due to time constraints. They said fine, leave. So we did. Will never purchase anyhing from Autonation.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I finally got my Jeep back last week with the same issue. Took about 2 months to get resolved I took it to the dealer closest to me and they told me it was normal operation. I assured them it was not and needed the heater replaced. Tech came out to talk to me and kept saying the 4xe was looking at "lots" of things and was normal. I kept asking what "specifically" was causing it to run and he could only say "lots".

I called Jeep Cares and they were kind enough to "dial" another dealer so I could make an appointment. This time I took them in some more paperwork along with a Star case number but was again told it was normal and the Star case did not apply. (They were wrong on both accounts) They did reset it so it worked normally for one day. On the plus side for the dealer was they were at least willing to work with me.

Finally I got online and found the procedure for testing the heater, made a photocopy of the owners manual saying when the ICE is supposed to run. I wrote down exactly what the Jeep was doing and why their original conclusion was wrong. Gave them a folder of highlighted paperwork. I don't think I made any friends but low and behold they called me back to say the heater needed replacing. The tech did say if I would not have given them (Jeep's own) paperwork they would not of found it.

Took about 2 1/2 weeks for them to diagnose and get the heater replaced. Much quicker than I thought it would be. I am a little frustrated with the situation but actually happy with the dealer in the end. They did fix it and I know I was not always the easiest to deal with. I do think Jeep needs to do much more training on the 4xe but kind of get the impression they don't really care. Jeep Cares was a little less than useless. Still love driving the Jeep but not looking forward to any other issues I may have to deal with.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
@Shasta_Steve Thanks for that ^^! My local dealer has a great service dept, but maybe I'll bring that documentation with me too just in case.

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I finally got my Jeep back last week with the same issue. Took about 2 months to get resolved I took it to the dealer closest to me and they told me it was normal operation. I assured them it was not and needed the heater replaced. Tech came out to talk to me and kept saying the 4xe was looking at "lots" of things and was normal. I kept asking what "specifically" was causing it to run and he could only say "lots".

I called Jeep Cares and they were kind enough to "dial" another dealer so I could make an appointment. This time I took them in some more paperwork along with a Star case number but was again told it was normal and the Star case did not apply. (They were wrong on both accounts) They did reset it so it worked normally for one day. On the plus side for the dealer was they were at least willing to work with me.

Finally I got online and found the procedure for testing the heater, made a photocopy of the owners manual saying when the ICE is supposed to run. I wrote down exactly what the Jeep was doing and why their original conclusion was wrong. Gave them a folder of highlighted paperwork. I don't think I made any friends but low and behold they called me back to say the heater needed replacing. The tech did say if I would not have given them (Jeep's own) paperwork they would not of found it.

Took about 2 1/2 weeks for them to diagnose and get the heater replaced. Much quicker than I thought it would be. I am a little frustrated with the situation but actually happy with the dealer in the end. They did fix it and I know I was not always the easiest to deal with. I do think Jeep needs to do much more training on the 4xe but kind of get the impression they don't really care. Jeep Cares was a little less than useless. Still love driving the Jeep but not looking forward to any other issues I may have to deal with.
The ‘normal operation’ response I got multiple times is beyond infuriating. I can’t put into words how much it would make my blood boil as it was always presented so condescendingly.
Sponsored