Sponsored

UPDATE SOLVED Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
Attempt two at same dealer. Only after getting jeepcares involved they started diagnosing. Took two long weeks to get it back. I will not set foot inside that dealership again, never provided any updates. This was my repair.
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE SOLVED Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating 20221118_184959
Sponsored

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
yes!!! It’s not. Consistent either
I am hearing this now after replacing ECH. The dealer had replaced the coolant in that process. What is the fix for this?

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I am hearing this now after replacing ECH. The dealer had replaced the coolant in that process. What is the fix for this?
Mine is going back in 11/28 for this and another issue, I’ll let you know, my guess is bleeding the system of air

nettlebob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
2021 4xe rubicon with 20k miles started having the same issue about a month ago. I live in the Bay Area and cold weather isn’t really an issue here and had no issues last winter. In fact get the cabin cooling/ heating issue at times with the climate control off.
Took in to the dealer yesterday to have it looked at, as well a problem with a severe but very intermittent steering shimmy at highway speed which forces me to slow down to about 45 mph for it to stop.
After having the vehicle for two days they finally called and said they don’t see any issues and to come pick it up. I forwarded the STAR info listed above and asked them to keep the vehicle and try again. Not pleased And not hopeful. Anyone else in the Bay Area deal with this issue and get it resolved?

Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
2021 4xe rubicon with 20k miles started having the same issue about a month ago. I live in the Bay Area and cold weather isn’t really an issue here and had no issues last winter. In fact get the cabin cooling/ heating issue at times with the climate control off.
Took in to the dealer yesterday to have it looked at, as well a problem with a severe but very intermittent steering shimmy at highway speed which forces me to slow down to about 45 mph for it to stop.
After having the vehicle for two days they finally called and said they don’t see any issues and to come pick it up. I forwarded the STAR info listed above and asked them to keep the vehicle and try again. Not pleased And not hopeful. Anyone else in the Bay Area deal with this issue and get it resolved?
I am in Sacramento. Hopefully they will test to see if the heater is locked. If if is it is pretty cut and dry what they are supposed to do but you may have to find another dealer.

luisv

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I went to the dealership to have the recall for the coolant leak fixed and now I have this problem with this message and the electric power will not start due to cabin heating or cooling. I probably was not going to have a problem with the recall but now I definitely have a problem. These jeep guys do not seem to be very good at fixing things. This is day 2 with this problem, I am hoping this is temporary and that maybe it will be back to normal soon.

mattdiano

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon
Took ours in today for this issue. To our local dealership that is very small.

The service guy told us he'd seen this issue once before, but that one charged while on-site so there wasn't anything they could do. I clearly told him charging wasn't the issue - usage of electricity is the issue, as in it won't! I gave him the service bulletin about the heater, so we'll see what happens.

If they can't resolve the issue, I'll take it to Denver where another forum member took his. That dealership replaced the heater, and his Jeep is doing fine last I heard.
Do you know which dealership in Denver? My 4xe just started doing this a few minutes ago, so I want to get an appointment with a dealership that is familiar with it.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Do you know which dealership in Denver? My 4xe just started doing this a few minutes ago, so I want to get an appointment with a dealership that is familiar with it.

Sorry, I can't remember which dealership. I called them & it was going to take multiple trips for them to diagnose, order parts and repair. Since I live so far away & the used market was at its highest I decided to sell. Just wasn't worth the headache for me.

We loved the car when working properly, but hated the dealer network and corporate assistance (or lack thereof).

I really think the transition to EV's (plug in or otherwise) is going to be hell for the domestic automakers. They have a bad enough history for customer service when only dealing with ICE vehicles. Now you expect them to start servicing both.

mattdiano

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon
Sorry, I can't remember which dealership. I called them & it was going to take multiple trips for them to diagnose, order parts and repair. Since I live so far away & the used market was at its highest I decided to sell. Just wasn't worth the headache for me.

We loved the car when working properly, but hated the dealer network and corporate assistance (or lack thereof).

I really think the transition to EV's (plug in or otherwise) is going to be hell for the domestic automakers. They have a bad enough history for customer service when only dealing with ICE vehicles. Now you expect them to start servicing both.
Thanks for the response, and sort of what I went through. Dropped the 4xe off for recall work, at the end of the day they had not even started on it yet. Said they only had a few techs who were trained on the software. If it is Jeeps best selling vehicle, and accounts for 38% of their sales, you would think they would have more techs up to speed.

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
it was me, and it was Larry H Miller off Havana. I was their first experience with it. That said… they weren’t quick. Jeep paid me $700 for them having it for 35 days. Like every dealer it sits for 3-5 days before it gets looked at.

I’ve started driving to Limon for quicker service, but that’s a huge pain in the ass too

SCVAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xE
Hey all, recently experienced what seems to be the same issue as you guys are having and am going to be heading to a stealership to get it looked at soon. My question for you all is, is your issue also accompanied with a check engine light or just the ICE start immediately?

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sting Gray JLUR 4xe, 99 Chili Pepper Red XJ
Hey all, recently experienced what seems to be the same issue as you guys are having and am going to be heading to a stealership to get it looked at soon. My question for you all is, is your issue also accompanied with a check engine light or just the ICE start immediately?
Mine was running the engine, no CEL. I took it in, they 'couldn't replicate the issue' but did a software update. The next time it happened a CEL popped up.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Before having the recall performed, the engine would just come on with the "cabin heating or cooling" message. Once they updated the SW, the CEL would come on...but at least my drive modes would stay the same as when I shut it off...until it needed to heat or cool the cabin again. As was mentioned elsewhere, it's not the cabin; it the battery that needs heating/cooling.

Anyway, I lived with that for about 2 months and finally had the heater replaced this past week. It's back to normal now.

SCVAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xE
Before having the recall performed, the engine would just come on with the "cabin heating or cooling" message. Once they updated the SW, the CEL would come on...but at least my drive modes would stay the same as when I shut it off...until it needed to heat or cool the cabin again. As was mentioned elsewhere, it's not the cabin; it the battery that needs heating/cooling.

Anyway, I lived with that for about 2 months and finally had the heater replaced this past week. It's back to normal now.
That makes sense. I took mine in on Tuesday a code scan showed the heater code as well as another sensor and a CAN error. Here we are three days into it and they’re saying they still don’t know what the problem is though… so I’m excited about the outcome. 🙄
Sponsored