Check engine light with electric mode unavailable, cabin heating or cooling

amprice4

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4XE
I currently have a 2021 Sahara 4xe with just over 8000 miles. Last week I got a check engine light and the "Electric mode unavailable, cabin heating or cooling" message. I took my Jeep to the dealer on Friday 3/11 and just picked it back up Monday 3/14. The check engine light is still on and the dealership is saying that the battery heater need to be replaced. They told me that the part is on "infinite backorder" and it could be weeks or months before my Jeep is fixed.

I am really stuck in a bad place right now with this because I ordered a 2022 Rubicon 4xe in December to upgrade from this Sahara and that Jeep is built, just waiting for a ride over to the dealer. I can't sell the Sahara with a check engine light and I really don't want both of them in my driveway while I wait on a part that has no eta.

I know, first world problems.... Has anyone waited on this part or currently waiting for it to arrive? I'm just trying to see if this is going to be a big problem

Jeep Wrangler JL Check engine light with electric mode unavailable, cabin heating or cooling 1647437556147
Sponsored

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
I just picked mine up for the dealer. Same part needed. My CEL came on 6 weeks ago, and it took that long to get an appointment. I was told it is ok to drive it with that code 6 weeks ago. The main drawback is the engine runs almost all of the time.

No good news to share from me. I wasnā€™t told ā€œinfiniteā€ - just that the part needed to be ordered. ā€˜21 Rubicon with 11k miles

FWIW, the paperwork I got shows this is a $2,100 repair. It is obviously under warranty, but wanted to make others aware that these things will get really expensive when they are out of warranty. This should be part of the 100k mile hybrid warranty, I believe.

In the 9 months that I have owned this Jeep, it has had a CEL on for over 2 months. With gas pushing $5 a gallon, it would be nice to use the 25 miles of electric range. But these issues prevent that from happening. Between the stealerā€™s deplorable turn around time on issues, and the general vehicle quality, this Jeep has become a real pain in the ass.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Have you reached out to JeepWave on this? There are some dealers that seem to have no issue getting this part in (at least in a couple weeks) and some dealers say it's on infinite backorder. There's been discussion that there's a software update in work to address the electric heater locking out as a preventative measure for this; I do wonder if the dealers that are saying forever backorder are really say "we're going to kick the can down the road until the software update is here instead".

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
for my Jeep, the service notes say the software was installed and the issue persisted, so the part is needed. So I think the software is out in the wild already.

OP
OP
amprice4

amprice4

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4XE
Have you reached out to JeepWave on this? There are some dealers that seem to have no issue getting this part in (at least in a couple weeks) and some dealers say it's on infinite backorder. There's been discussion that there's a software update in work to address the electric heater locking out as a preventative measure for this; I do wonder if the dealers that are saying forever backorder are really say "we're going to kick the can down the road until the software update is here instead".
I have contacted Jeep Cares as well as Jeep Wave customer support. I have a case number and they say that they are working to get the part as quick as possible.

I contacted a different dealers parts department yesterday to see what the stock status of the part was and they told me that it was on back order with 180 currently waiting.

Sponsored

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
My Rubicon has the "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" and the dealer said they fixed it. Nope, I don't think they even verified the "repair" as I received the message immediately when I picked up the vehicle. It is extremely frustrating not to be able to run in all-electric mode. I don't have a check engine light on though.

OP
OP
amprice4

amprice4

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4XE
My Rubicon has the "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" and the dealer said they fixed it. Nope, I don't think they even verified the "repair" as I received the message immediately when I picked up the vehicle. It is extremely frustrating not to be able to run in all-electric mode. I don't have a check engine light on though.
The dealer needs to replace the battery coolant heater. They replaced the part on mine and everything went back to normal.

Star case S2208000027 covers this problem.

rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica PHEV
I currently have a 2021 Sahara 4xe with just over 8000 miles. Last week I got a check engine light and the "Electric mode unavailable, cabin heating or cooling" message. I took my Jeep to the dealer on Friday 3/11 and just picked it back up Monday 3/14. The check engine light is still on and the dealership is saying that the battery heater need to be replaced. They told me that the part is on "infinite backorder" and it could be weeks or months before my Jeep is fixed.

I am really stuck in a bad place right now with this because I ordered a 2022 Rubicon 4xe in December to upgrade from this Sahara and that Jeep is built, just waiting for a ride over to the dealer. I can't sell the Sahara with a check engine light and I really don't want both of them in my driveway while I wait on a part that has no eta.

I know, first world problems.... Has anyone waited on this part or currently waiting for it to arrive? I'm just trying to see if this is going to be a big problem

Jeep Wrangler JL Check engine light with electric mode unavailable, cabin heating or cooling 1647437556147
2017 Pacifica PHEV here. My van has been waiting for this part for for the same CEL problem for 30 days now. They wonā€™t give it back to me to wait for the part because they say they are worried about the vehicle catching fire. šŸ¤” They put me into a Compass for now, but I really donā€™t like driving it. This is a stupid problem they have.

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
2017 Pacifica PHEV here. My van has been waiting for this part for for the same CEL problem for 30 days now. They wonā€™t give it back to me to wait for the part because they say they are worried about the vehicle catching fire. šŸ¤” They put me into a Compass for now, but I really donā€™t like driving it. This is a stupid problem they have.
Have any caught fire yet? That's a scary thought!

rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica PHEV
Have any caught fire yet? That's a scary thought!
Well, yes. A handful have caught fire. That being said, google any car with ā€œfireā€. Like here:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/recall-fire-hazard-40000-jeep-wrangler-gladiator/
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28420...n-fire-randomly-and-theres-no-recall-in-sight
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/busi...,Santa Fe XL models and 2014-2015 Tucson SUVs.

So I donā€™t know. I think you have a better chance of dying in a car crash.
Sponsored