Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Got this message yesterday, Climate control was completely off, outside temps 61 F. Wasn’t FORM, just got back from a 300 mile trip over the weekend so unlikely that would be an issue. Battery was at 40%. I’m puzzled because no way the battery was too cold in those outside temps, and with climate control completely off it didn’t make sense. Thoughts? For my 3 mile trip i used no battery, ended at the same %.
Sponsored

Deleted member 72291

There’s some discussion on this message over at 4xeforums.com and several others have reported that their dealer found the Battery Coolant heater had failed and needed to be replaced.

kgammon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon,2020 JL Rubicon 2-Door, 1983 CJ-5
Did you end up getting this problem resolved? I have the same exact issues. For the first 8000 miles I drove it, I could start it and run on 100% electric until I ran out of juice. Perfect as most of my driving is within 15-20 miles. About a month ago, I went to start and went right to gas- and got the same "Electric Mode unavailable, cabin cooling or heating" message.

Took it to a dealer, and even brought in the docs posted above. They were unable to fix- and actually told me that this was "normal"- which, given that I drove it for almost a year without this issue is clearly not true.

I reached out to FCA support and have a "case"so hopefully will get some more info on this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
It’s still at the dealer… I’m not hopeful, they told me when I dropped it off they’ve never seen it and to not expect them to fix it. They also told me that loaner and rental cars are no longer a thing - they won’t consider them because there is a car shortage. @JeepCares is great though, they’ll give you great advise to go to a different dealer because we all have the time of day to drop our veh off for multiple days somewhere just to take it to a more inconvenient place and not get it fixed. This is quickly souring me on Jeep. My bad, sorry this wasn’t my 5th vehicle Stelantis.

thank God for good neighbors because otherwise we’d have been screwed this week. My wife had to buy an Uber from the stealership to our house 8 miles away ‘because use that’s too far for a courtesy car’. they denied a rental because Jeep lies about that, apparently. I don’t honestly believe they are testing our car to replicate the problem (Uconnect confirms it’s never moved since dropping off and the battery is the exact same %). the only reason my wife could get our kids and manage while I had to show up to court for my civic jury duty was good neighbors.

Tomorrow I have off and I may be calling a lemon law attorney. And I love this jeep 😢. My steering damper is 80 days waiting (But an aftermarket one I bought took 3 days) my paint issue hasn’t even been addressed after calling every dealer in the Denver metro, and this issue with the electric system my dealer basically said they don’t believe me. @JeepCares I’m your demographic - I’m begging for this to be fixed, and not be worse. Im legitimately begging for a solution to keep me as a customer.

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It’s still at the dealer… I’m not hopeful, they told me when I dropped it off they’ve never seen it and to not expect them to fix it. They also told me that loaner and rental cars are no longer a thing - they won’t consider them because there is a car shortage. @JeepCares is great though, they’ll give you great advise to go to a different dealer because we all have the time of day to drop our veh off for multiple days somewhere just to take it to a more inconvenient place and not get it fixed. This is quickly souring me on Jeep. My bad, sorry this wasn’t my 5th vehicle Stelantis.

thank God for good neighbors because otherwise we’d have been screwed this week. My wife had to buy an Uber from the stealership to our house 8 miles away ‘because use that’s too far for a courtesy car’. they denied a rental because Jeep lies about that, apparently. I don’t honestly believe they are testing our car to replicate the problem (Uconnect confirms it’s never moved since dropping off and the battery is the exact same %). the only reason my wife could get our kids and manage while I had to show up to court for my civic jury duty was good neighbors.

Tomorrow I have off and I may be calling a lemon law attorney. And I love this jeep 😢. My steering damper is 80 days waiting (But an aftermarket one I bought took 3 days) my paint issue hasn’t even been addressed after calling every dealer in the Denver metro, and this issue with the electric system my dealer basically said they don’t believe me. @JeepCares I’m your demographic - I’m begging for this to be fixed, and not be worse. Im legitimately begging for a solution to keep me as a customer.
Thank you for tagging us and we apologize for these concerns so soon in ownership. If you have a case created, we can certainly dig in. Send us a private message that includes it to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
Same issue occurred to me on 2/1. Dealer wait time for an appointment was 5 weeks. Part on back order for 2 weeks, then another 5 week wait to get an install appointment. About 10 days before that appointment, the Jeep died on me. That was 4/26, and it has been sitting at the dealer since for a bad MGU.

The Uconnect app gave me a status update yesterday, and I suspect they got the part in (long story but I said not to call until it was completely fixed). But I have not been told it is ready yet, which leads me to believe they found something else wrong with it. I am now dealing with the “Jeep customer retention” team. Have also filed a case with the NCDS as mine meets the definition of a lemon in the state of TN.

https://www.ncdsusa.org/clients/jeep.html

kgammon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My update on this issue- got a call back and email from Jeep Cares. Hopefully will talk to them today and get this resolved. He game the same advice you received on the voicemail- "go to a different dealer." We'll see!

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
My update on this issue- got a call back and email from Jeep Cares. Hopefully will talk to them today and get this resolved. He game the same advice you received on the voicemail- "go to a different dealer." We'll see!
I too am waiting on Jeep cares to help me setup a new appointment. My last one went fantastic (insert sarcasm). I set an appointment, Uconnect confirmed my vehicle was not started for 6 days. It was started once, tech called said there was no problem, and I could come pickup 1 hr later. They said they updated software, the same problem has reoccurred to me 3 of 4 days I’ve driven the Jeep since

Sponsored

kgammon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Latest update! Guy at Jeep Cares (Ron) has been very responsive and working to help figure this out. Took it to another dealer here (SF Bay Area). Day 3 and no word from the dealer, so going to reach out and get a status.

What's amazing to me is that neither the Jeep Cares guy nor the dealer has any awareness of this issue. I'm convinced that it's a software update causing this. I was able to run on pure electric almost all the time, which understandably long-term could be an issue- the gas engine needs to run periodically. Whatever algorithm they're using isn't working though... should be able to so a few days pure electric.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I've had this problem since the spring after I took it for its first dealer service. Been waiting to see how things went for you guys before taking action. Has the dealer checked the electric coolant heater status as outlined in that star case?

I guess I'm trying to understand where the holdup is. Did they check the heater status and it was fine, so there is some other cause? Or are they simply ignoring the star case and not willing to check the status?

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I agree this seems software related. I just dropped my Jeep off this morning for round 2 of diagnostics. I will say, this new dealer is 100% off to a better start. Hope they figure it out! As more and more people are having this same issue it has to be hitting Jeeps radar. I. Really hope they figure it out by winter because I love heating my car up in my closed garage while plugged in… can’t do that if this is constantly firing.

Jeep customer care line doesn’t know what to think of me, they can’t seem to figure out I have 3 issues with the Jeep and everytime I get a call the person can only address one. Then when I say ‘hey, what about the other 2 things’ they tell me they aren’t documented and don’t know what I’m asking. Funny thing is, they call about the last issue discussed everytime, which has been a different one of the 3 almost everytime

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I had this exact same problem.

i used almost nothing but electric mode July through Jan of this year.

early Jan, i started getting the “electric unavail, cabin cooling blah blah”

dealer actually knew the issue, as it was the same issue they had just gone through with the chrysler pacifica hybrid. They ordered a part that was on back order until early July. Once they did that, i have been back to all electric for the last month.

they replaced the ECH on mine.

the important thing here is to have your service advisor note a DTC in your service ticket.

the service bulletin from chrysler is wrong. I did NOT have any DTC’s. Luckily I have a good service advisor who “mistakenly” noted i had a dtc, and they ordered \the part. They had tried everything else in the bulletins, and nothing else fixed it.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
I had this exact same problem.

i used almost nothing but electric mode July through Jan of this year.

early Jan, i started getting the “electric unavail, cabin cooling blah blah”

dealer actually knew the issue, as it was the same issue they had just gone through with the chrysler pacifica hybrid. They ordered a part that was on back order until early July. Once they did that, i have been back to all electric for the last month.

they replaced the ECH on mine.

the important thing here is to have your service advisor note a DTC in your service ticket.

the service bulletin from chrysler is wrong. I did NOT have any DTC’s. Luckily I have a good service advisor who “mistakenly” noted i had a dtc, and they ordered \the part. They had tried everything else in the bulletins, and nothing else fixed it.
Is this a common problem and what happens if you don’t have a dealer who will “mistakenly” note you have a DTC?
Sponsored