Sponsored

NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER Wandering/Tramlining

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Could be the lower profile sidewall. They tend to do this. Haven’t experienced it on a Jeep, but years ago I put very low profile, wide tires/rims on my ‘98 Z28. 275/40 fronts and 315/35 rears. The fronts were really influenced by truck grooves and seams a lot.
Sponsored

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Running 295/70/R17s Ridge Grapplers at 30 PSI cold and ride is pretty good (for me) but I do pick up a little more road noise and tread buzz. I suspect its the outer lugs so need to chalk test. Increasing the PSI lessens the road noise but the ride suffers so pick your poison. Can't say I notice a difference wandering/tramlining or anything like that at the pressures I have been testing.

I have been obsessing over getting the tires right the past week or so on my commute driving around on various roads with the radio off and windows down so am sure I would have noticed something.

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
I have 35" 285/75 R18 and I run them at 31psi i find they do wander with the crown but good to hear that its relatively common. My question is I also feeling a slight vibration at different speeds first i thought it was a bad road but now have read some reviews that say these tires will do that. I mainly start to feel it over 100kph thoughts?

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I have Ridge Grapplers 295/65/20 on a Ram... best and the quietest tire I have run. That includes Duratracs, KO's, KO2. I'm also running Nitto RG's 37x13.50 on a JKU... GREAT tire, aggressive tread for all terrain... Very Quiet! Runs straight no issues. I would check your steering/caster.

Hold24

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 392
Hi to all, I have a question that I have figured was normal beause of the wide tires but wanted more info on it. I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50r20 on Fuel Beast D564 20x12 -44 Offset on Stock Sport suspension. One thing I've noticed since installation 3 months ago is these tires love to wander on the road following the grooves etc. First day I drove it back I got swung to another lane luckily un occupied. These days I'm more used to it and either hold on tighter or change lanes to avoid those lanes. Is this normal for my setup? Anything I can do to reduce it or eliminate the issue? It only happens on the highway at higher speeds. I have heard of the chalk test which I will do soon and I have tried air down to 28 psi but then I lose a lot of performance although a little bit more stable. I put it back to 34 psi and now I feel better throttle control and much less sluggish. Let me know guys, thanks!
I have the same tires on my 2500HD Denali and my truck wanders all over the place... It’s definitely the tires... They ride nice and smooth but are not stable at all... playing with the air pressure too

Sponsored

BpBpImaJp

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Cherokee Lat
I have the same tires but 37’s. It does not wonder anymore than the factory tires did. I am running 29 in them now. Wider the tire, more surface area it touches.
This might be a long shot but do you still have the 37 Ridge Grapplers? I'm trying to decide between those and the M/T Trail Grapplers. Any opinions?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
This might be a long shot but do you still have the 37 Ridge Grapplers? I'm trying to decide between those and the M/T Trail Grapplers. Any opinions?
Yes, still running them at 28 psi. They have not been off-road but this jeep may not see it for a while.

easterr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
33x12.50r20 ridge grapplers on 20x9 fuel wheels. Found this thread after experiencing similar behavior on the highway. When I take my foot off the gas, the Jeep weaves left and right. Doesn’t feel like it starts in the steering wheel, rather from the body, and only happens upon deceleration. A couple of times it weaved back and forth enough to activate the stability control. Pretty disconcerting.

Drove the same trip but going north on Sunday and it didn’t happen at all. Drove the trip south today (same highway but different lanes, of course) and happened just about every time I let off the gas. 3 tire pressures same as Sunday - 37, although noticed passenger was at 33. Wife said it happened once to her last week (when pressures were the same).

Any help is very much appreciated.
Sponsored