NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER Wandering/Tramlining

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Hi to all, I have a question that I have figured was normal beause of the wide tires but wanted more info on it. I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50r20 on Fuel Beast D564 20x12 -44 Offset on Stock Sport suspension. One thing I've noticed since installation 3 months ago is these tires love to wander on the road following the grooves etc. First day I drove it back I got swung to another lane luckily un occupied. These days I'm more used to it and either hold on tighter or change lanes to avoid those lanes. Is this normal for my setup? Anything I can do to reduce it or eliminate the issue? It only happens on the highway at higher speeds. I have heard of the chalk test which I will do soon and I have tried air down to 28 psi but then I lose a lot of performance although a little bit more stable. I put it back to 34 psi and now I feel better throttle control and much less sluggish. Let me know guys, thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Road force balance the wheels by chance?
The wheels were balanced before install. Not sure what you mean by “road force”.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same tires but 37’s. It does not wonder anymore than the factory tires did. I am running 29 in them now. Wider the tire, more surface area it touches.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Road force balancing is basically the machine lowers the tire to contact "the ground" so you balance the tire with a simulated force applied, as if it was on the road....this isn't your problem. First, I'd check the pressure, make sure it's correct. Start at 30psi, and you may find you may need to drop to 28 with a 35" if you run a chalk test. Having said that, the Trail grapplers are notorious for tramlining, as are MTRs. The center tread pattern on the nittos are the reason I am not going to get them on my JL....the angled "triangular" looking pattern is a recipe for tramlining, a problem I don't want....having said that, It's most likely your pressure causing it. Finally, I do agree with the above, that wider tires in general pick up more surface feel and are more sensitive to road crowning, following grooves, etc, but there are some that are much worse than others (the worst on the market being the MTRs.)

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I did the chalk test on my 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and found 28-29psi to best for even wear. The dealership had them aired up to 40psi and it was like having marbles on the corners.

Sponsored

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no wobbling. I am currently at 34 psi cold. I have not yet done the chalk test but am looking forward to trying this. I tried 28 psi and the Jeep felt sluggish. Does anyone agree that at 28 psi it'll make the Jeep feel less nimble (performance loss) vs 34 psi example? I have much more performance at 34 psi although I felt more stable at 28 psi. P.S. It did not eliminate the wandering just made it more tolerable.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Road force balancing is basically the machine lowers the tire to contact "the ground" so you balance the tire with a simulated force applied, as if it was on the road....this isn't your problem. First, I'd check the pressure, make sure it's correct. Start at 30psi, and you may find you may need to drop to 28 with a 35" if you run a chalk test. Having said that, the Trail grapplers are notorious for tramlining, as are MTRs. The center tread pattern on the nittos are the reason I am not going to get them on my JL....the angled "triangular" looking pattern is a recipe for tramlining, a problem I don't want....having said that, It's most likely your pressure causing it. Finally, I do agree with the above, that wider tires in general pick up more surface feel and are more sensitive to road crowning, following grooves, etc, but there are some that are much worse than others (the worst on the market being the MTRs.)
Ridge Grapplers dot have a pattern like a Trail grappler. More like a Toyo RT. My Ridge Grapplers don’t wonder like that. Just have to find the right air pressure

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridge Grapplers dot have a pattern like a Trail grappler. More like a Toyo RT. My Ridge Grapplers don’t wonder like that. Just have to find the right air pressure
What pressure are you using? and did you do a chalk test?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
28 psi and no chalk. Took pressure down from 37psi about 2 psi at a time until I got the ride and steering I wanted.
Sponsored