plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
In fact, I will avoid any dealer offer "nitrogen fill" as a premium add-on to your purchase, knowing that they probably are con artists!
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not worth the money, IMO. Common air is 78% nitrogen. If you can get pure, dry nitrogen for free, take it. Don't give it a second thought if you don't put nitrogen in your tires. No, nitrogen will not remain at a constant pressure with temperature change. It will be slightly less change in pressure than air, but it will change nearly as much as common air. Don't believe the hype on stable pressure vs temperature for nitrogen. It defies the laws of physics.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2007/10/tires-nitrogen-air-loss-study/index.htm

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Why? Do you think the compressed gas in a tire makes up the majority of the weight in an inflated wheel/tire?
Nitrogen expands very easily
Thats ridiculous....only helium produces those benefits.
I just looked up the gas tables. Air is slightly more dense than Nitrogen, but ever so slightly. But the gains are not worth the costs. I thought Ni would be lighter.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Why? Do you think the compressed gas in a tire makes up the majority of the weight in an inflated wheel/tire?
After looking at the gas tables and comparing the densities of air and Ni, air is slightly denser than Ni and therefore not as much of a benefit as I initially thought.

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Thats ridiculous....only helium produces those benefits.
Tires still weigh the same regardless if air, nitrogen or helium is used. Gravity is a bitch. :giggle:

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
My JLUR came with it at no charge. First vehicle with it for me, thought about it for the motorcycle (where tire pressure is much more critical) but I'm old school and check my pressures before each ride and when traveling and carry a small portable compressor for the bike. But I agree if you are going to air down/up you tires then no need for it. I will add that the tire pressures have been consistent since April 2018 when I purchased it.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
After looking at the gas tables and comparing the densities of air and Ni, air is slightly denser than Ni and therefore not as much of a benefit as I initially thought.
I dunno, last time I checked the periodic table, Ni was denser that air, by far. Just saying.... Not sure if I'd be putting Ni in my tires, either. Whoa, rough ride there!

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Since air is roughly 80% nitrogen, just fill your tires an additional 20% and you’ll have it filled with free nitrogen. *

* I know the math is wrong, and if you’re dumb enough to try this please sell your Jeep

OP
OP
JDLouisville

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Since air is roughly 80% nitrogen, just fill your tires an additional 20% and you’ll have it filled with free nitrogen. *

* I know the math is wrong, and if you’re dumb enough to try this please sell your Jeep
:clap:

Sponsored

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Tires still weigh the same regardless if air, nitrogen or helium is used. Gravity is a bitch. :giggle:
Nitrogen expands very easily

I just looked up the gas tables. Air is slightly more dense than Nitrogen, but ever so slightly. But the gains are not worth the costs. I thought Ni would be lighter.
Fellas, this was my attempt at sarcasm...although id be willing to hear about someone trying to fill up on helium though- LOL

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
So if I get my tires changed, should I tell the tire shop to “recover my Ni” and reuse it?

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I believe it is useful for a road car if you want to. I air down and air up on a bi-weekly basis (at least). I couldn't afford the nitrogen. Maybe when they develop a computerized pumping set up with capture tanks (like a submarines ballast set up). Pump down the tires into the nitrogen holding tanks when you want to crawl or beach run, then pump back in from the holding tanks to the tires when you hit the highway.

Nope, I use air. So far it's free.

v/r rch

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I agree with all the posts that say its a scam/ snake oil / etc. I also just wanted to point out that if you have a nitrogen fill, don't believe the BS that you can't put regular air in. I've had several vehicles that came with nitrogen from the dealer (didn't pay for it) and I always filled with regular air with no issues.

I'd also love to see an investigative report where someone goes and tests all these nitrogen filled tires to see if they actually are pure nitrogen ;)

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
N2 was all the rage many, many years back and tire shops charged $2-$5 a tire to let the air out and refill with N2, the concept was N2 molecules are larger than regular compressed air so the leak rate is less plus it’s not supposed to heat up as quickly and disapate heat more quickly, at the time I worked for Linde BOC at an N2/O2 separation plant so it was free for me to refill all my tires and I never saw any benefit
All of these things are wrong, they do it for the same reason you ground beef is packed with N2, prevents oxidation.
Sponsored