Sponsored

Are "Expensive" Tires Even Worth It?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Tires in the past 10 years or so do not seem to last as long as they once did which is starting to make me question why I would buy a premium brand versus a mid-tier or lower tier tire.

In the past, the statement "you get what you pay for" may have been true, but I becoming more and more skeptical of that.

I do not feel like I got what I paid for with the 37" BFG K02's I bought. They have not held up any better than the 35" Kanati Trail Hogs I had previously, perhaps even lesser, yet they were about $800 more (as compared to 37" Kanati's).

Not intended to turn into a bash K02 thread (though I would be first in line), but what are the general thoughts?

Buy BFG, Nitto, Toyo, M/T or look to a cheaper brand?

Money is not the issue for me, it is the service life and minimal maintenance that wins.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I've been as happy as a pig in shit with my Goodyear Duratracs.
Yeah, if they made them in 37's, I'd grab a set (only up to 35" the last time I checked).

The Kanati's are basically a Duratrac clone.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
I've had zero issues with my 37 K02's, happy with the longevity, ride quality, and number one on the list, their light weight.

Not very happy with their hydroplaning tendencies at highway speeds for such a huge sized tire, and whilst acceleration in snow is not too shabbyat all, quite predictable and fun, BRAKING on the other hand, on icier surfaces or even very hard packed snow sucks.

Subscribing to this thread, because I like try out new 💩, but if nothing convinces me in the end, when I begin to cross shop tires, I might just opt for them slightly bigger, albeit uglier, bubble looking 39in K02's, and why? Because they are LIGHT!

Note*
I don't have the reinforcement hinge thingy on my rear tailgate, nor do I plan to install one, I hate the look, and knock on wood, they still look straight and true, tight as a whistle. Weight is important to me, for ride quality, and the rear tailgate weight.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
FWIW— my son said his Toyo’s are the best, longest lasting tires he has had on his old 6.0 F250. 35/12.50/18/ highest avail, or metric equivalent. Put 35/12.50/17/C AT3’s ( 59lbs) on my Jeep, just ~500 mi, no review other than better ride, similar road manners , a little more aggressive so a little louder than the KO2’s

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I've been as happy as a pig in shit with my Goodyear Duratracs.
That is what I roll with and have studs in a second set for the winter and they are amazing - I live in the Tahoe are and deal with tons of snow

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Tires in the past 10 years or so do not seem to last as long as they once did which is starting to make me question why I would buy a premium brand versus a mid-tier or lower tier tire.

In the past, the statement "you get what you pay for" may have been true, but I becoming more and more skeptical of that.

I do not feel like I got what I paid for with the 37" BFG K02's I bought. They have not held up any better than the 35" Kanati Trail Hogs I had previously, perhaps even lesser, yet they were about $800 more (as compared to 37" Kanati's).

Not intended to turn into a bash K02 thread (though I would be first in line), but what are the general thoughts?

Money is not the issue for me, it is the service life and minimal maintenance that wins.
Certainly, you never get what you pay for these days as everything is overpriced. I do know that a lot of cheaper tires are harder compound. You already know the issues there.

I generally dont buy tires based on price. When I start looking for tires, I look at reviews across multiple sights, and obviously rely on previous experience. Ive never had a bad Duratrac or OC AT. Depending on what style tires youre looking at, the Yoko G015 are awesome tires too.

Best of luck! And I agree with the other post.... BFG sucks.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

What a great question, though I'm not sure how you get a real answer outside of just buying the tires and trying them personally. I know having had Nitto, Toyo, General, Falken from size 35-38 on different vehicles, all of them wore pretty quick and it definitely felt as though you were paying more for marketing and 'look' than actual performance. Curious to see what others say about 'lesser' costing tires.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
FWIW— my son said his Toyo’s are the best, longest lasting tires he has had on his old 6.0 F250. 35/12.50/18/ highest avail, or metric equivalent. Put 35/12.50/17/C AT3’s ( 59lbs) on my Jeep, just ~500 mi, no review other than better ride, similar road manners , a little more aggressive so a little louder than the KO2’s
I‘ve had several sets of Toyo MTs. Two sets of 35s on F350s, a set of 35s on my wife’s JK, and one set of 33s on my last TJ.

The Toyos were good in mud, fine on the rocks, less prone to hydroplane, very quiet for a MT, and they lasted forever. I loved them on everything but ice, where they were like wearing football cleats to jog up polished concrete. Much better to have tennis sneakers (KO2) for that. The best compromise for me, for winter, is studded Duratracs. They drive over/through anything. I have 35“ Duratracs on our Raptor, which is great snow and ice mobile with 400 pounds of sand in the back.

The Duratracs are available in 37s, but only sized for a 20” wheel, which looks silly, drives harsh, and leaves less sidewall for airing down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are "Expensive" Tires Even Worth It? C6D9084E-23E3-4135-A267-4C76FCCF9246

Jeep Wrangler JL Are "Expensive" Tires Even Worth It? C73B8CA1-ACBB-4D10-B7FE-B9A2731AF6CD

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Different tires wear slower because of different compounds. One that last longer will not bite as well into rock. It’s pretty much that simple. Long life doesn’t equal high performance to most people other than truckers. A street slick on my challenger would be amazing, but would not last anywhere near the 6k miles a set of Goodyears do on it now. Wouldn’t be worth it for me, but I can still understand why it’s a better tire.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
We typically run BFGs and in the pasthave ran Duratracs and they performed great. The past 4 sets have all been Niittos as we wanted to run an American made tire. The last set we decided to buy Nitto MT and HATE them but we did pavement driving as well. MTs are not for anything but MT period. We just bought a hybrid Toyo (again American made) and these guys rock in every sense so much 2 other buddies are swapping out MT.

If you are on the hunt take a look at the Toyo Trail RT but get your hands on them. They balanced great with minimal weight is any.

blackthought_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 2005 Jeep TJ
Instead of talking about how good/not good my KO2s or some other brands is, I’ll actually answer your question. In my experience, yes, paying a premium for tires is worth it. Tires are literally the only thing that touch the ground when you drive and I’d really not mess around and try to save a few bucks and get a no-name brand. God forbid a tire explodes when you’re cruising down the highway. There is a reason people pay a premium for example, a Michelin tire. When it comes to debating the brand and which is best, everyone will have their own opinion so you’ll need to try out different ones.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been having good service life out of Cooper STMaxx or Mickey Thompson (Cooper made) equivalents on my full size pickup.

For the JL, I just bought my first set to replace the OE K02s. It's always a research project buying tires and then I put the blindfold on and throw a dart. I ended up with the Maxxis Razr AT in 37x12.50R17. We'll see how it goes.
Sponsored