Newbie question - SUNPIE

randybw1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit
Got my first Jeep 4 door Punk-N High Tide....I've done some googling and searching here in the forums and can mostly just find them associated with lights. Does anyone have experience with their bumpers? Price doesn't seem bad for front and back and I really like the looks, thoughts? SunPie Bumpers???
Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Not sure how well the red grates would go with punkn, but if you like it then that's all that matters. The price is definitely not bad, but as with anything understand that you get what you pay for. I got a $300 bumper figuring I'll probably have to replace it in a couple years... now if I could ever just find the time to put the darn thing on.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

As with everything, you've got to balance the cost vs your budget vs your minimum acceptable quality.

For bumpers, aside from design, you typically want to look at a few things:
  1. Brand - are they known/unknown, good worksmanship, known for reliability, etc. Personally, I've never heard of "SunPie" bumpers before
  2. Quality of materials - from their listing, this is what you're getting: The material is make of 5/32" thick low carbon hard steel and 2" x 0.120" precision tolerance steel tube, stiffer, more durable bumpers, advanced level 3 black powder coating, corrosion resistant and durable
Personally, assuming I liked the design (that part is subjective and everyone has different tastes), I would skip this brand, based on their relative unknown status, and having typos on their site. The fact that there is almost zero conversations mentioning them, and especially their bumpers, on this site is a big red flag, IMO.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/4185639/?q=sunpie&o=date

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
As with everything, you've got to balance the cost vs your budget vs your minimum acceptable quality.

For bumpers, aside from design, you typically want to look at a few things:
  1. Brand - are they known/unknown, good worksmanship, known for reliability, etc. Personally, I've never heard of "SunPie" bumpers before
  2. Quality of materials - from their listing, this is what you're getting: The material is make of 5/32" thick low carbon hard steel and 2" x 0.120" precision tolerance steel tube, stiffer, more durable bumpers, advanced level 3 black powder coating, corrosion resistant and durable
Personally, assuming I liked the design (that part is subjective and everyone has different tastes), I would skip this brand, based on their relative unknown status, and having typos on their site. The fact that there is almost zero conversations mentioning them, and especially their bumpers, on this site is a big red flag, IMO.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/4185639/?q=sunpie&o=date
What he said. Plus, for not much more you can get bumpers from better manufacturers that will be quality and not start to rust after a year from the humidity alone in TX.

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Got my first Jeep 4 door Punk-N High Tide....I've done some googling and searching here in the forums and can mostly just find them associated with lights. Does anyone have experience with their bumpers? Price doesn't seem bad for front and back and I really like the looks, thoughts? SunPie Bumpers???
There's some guy at my job, has the same bumpers. His is a sting-gray four-door. Looks good enough on his. I'm not a huge fan of the red overlay. I feel it would have looked better if it was red underlay. The overlay looks like the manufacturer got lazy and tacked it on top, instead of trying to find a way to tack it from the back.. though I will say you could probably improve it by putting in some black screws and replacing the chrome ones that come with it. At least make it look like some thought went into it.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Powder coat quality is paramount.
Bad powder coat looks the same as good coatings on day one.... 1 or 2 years later and it's a sh¡tshow.

Stick with known manufacturers for external parts, or embrace the rust appearance.

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

So, It is a Chinese company located in France selling Jeep bumpers in USA at an aggressively low price. Their address is listed on Scampulse and the pics look to be of bumpers from another company. (VIJ(?)Y? What is that?) This is waving so many red flags (no pun intended). I would stay away. My rule of thumb, you get what you pay for.. .and usually less.

OP
OP

randybw1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit
Glad I asked!!!! Thanks for all the input. And the search continues.....I want something minimal that will last, don't mind paying for something that lasts. Won't be doing any rock crawling either. Thanks again for the input.
Sponsored