Sponsored

New style windshield washer problem and solution.

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey all,

Just want to drop this in here in case it helps anyone else out. I had an issue of fraying of the protective sleeve on the washer hose. The ends of the sleeve really should be fused, or covered with something to stop the threading from coming free. I love the new wipers and was not willing to give up on them. The path that I took was to replace the factory sleeving with "Techflex® Clean Cut® Heavy Duty Braided Cable Sleeving - 1/4" Inside Diameter". I then covered the cut ends with marine grade adhesive filled shrink wrap 1/4" ID..... If you go this route I suggest using boiling water poured over the heat shrink. The sleeve is easily melted if you use flame, boiling water won't hurt any of it. Obviously do this prior to installing/reinstalling the system.

This, hopefully, will prevent the ends from coming loose and fraying again. Additionally I reinforced any rub point on the factory hose with the shrink wrap. Hope this helps someone if you run into the same issue. I am much more confidant in the tubing now, glad it happened before the frigid temps set in here..... First photo is the "problem" the rest are showing what I did.

Thanks!
Chris

Jeep Wrangler JL New style windshield washer problem and solution. IMG_0834

Jeep Wrangler JL New style windshield washer problem and solution. IMG_0840

Jeep Wrangler JL New style windshield washer problem and solution. IMG_0841

Jeep Wrangler JL New style windshield washer problem and solution. IMG_0842
Sponsored

OP
OP

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update. Holding up very well so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL New style windshield washer problem and solution. F7B45809-4FBC-429E-A0A1-15B46191EFE9

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
I then covered the cut ends with marine grade adhesive filled shrink wrap 1/4" ID..... If you go this route I suggest using boiling water poured over the heat shrink. The sleeve is easily melted if you use flame, boiling water won't hurt any of it. Obviously do this prior to installing/reinstalling the system.

You could also use a hair dryer or a heat gun to activate the heat shrink. Just a thought.

OP
OP

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I then covered the cut ends with marine grade adhesive filled shrink wrap 1/4" ID..... If you go this route I suggest using boiling water poured over the heat shrink. The sleeve is easily melted if you use flame, boiling water won't hurt any of it. Obviously do this prior to installing/reinstalling the system.

You could also use a hair dryer or a heat gun to activate the heat shrink. Just a thought.
Yes for sure. I just figured that everyone would have access to boiling water. Figured I would put it together assuming a lack of tools. I will say that even with my heat gun, the boiling water did the job perfectly. Not sure if a hair dryer gets hot enough to melt the adhesive, I have zero exp with hair dryers.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Hey all,

Just want to drop this in here in case it helps anyone else out. I had an issue of fraying of the protective sleeve on the washer hose. The ends of the sleeve really should be fused, or covered with something to stop the threading from coming free. I love the new wipers and was not willing to give up on them. The path that I took was to replace the factory sleeving with "Techflex® Clean Cut® Heavy Duty Braided Cable Sleeving - 1/4" Inside Diameter". I then covered the cut ends with marine grade adhesive filled shrink wrap 1/4" ID..... If you go this route I suggest using boiling water poured over the heat shrink. The sleeve is easily melted if you use flame, boiling water won't hurt any of it. Obviously do this prior to installing/reinstalling the system.

This, hopefully, will prevent the ends from coming loose and fraying again. Additionally I reinforced any rub point on the factory hose with the shrink wrap. Hope this helps someone if you run into the same issue. I am much more confidant in the tubing now, glad it happened before the frigid temps set in here..... First photo is the "problem" the rest are showing what I did.

Thanks!
Chris

Jeep Wrangler JL New style windshield washer problem and solution. F7B45809-4FBC-429E-A0A1-15B46191EFE9

Sorry for being dense, but from my experience in working with shrink tubing, the marine grade with adhesive is 3 to one shrink rate...wouldn't that shrink down to the point of almost restricting the flow of washer fluid? again, sorry for my confusion, just don't wnat to end up buying stuff that I can't use

NCJeep4xe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xE
Did your tube split/crack? Mine did in the same spot. If yours did, how did you repair the hose?

20231129_141252.jpg

OP
OP

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for being dense, but from my experience in working with shrink tubing, the marine grade with adhesive is 3 to one shrink rate...wouldn't that shrink down to the point of almost restricting the flow of washer fluid? again, sorry for my confusion, just don't wnat to end up buying stuff that I can't use
I apologize, I did not see this post. The parts I listed above have worked perfectly. No restrictions at all. I cannot speak to any materials other than what I have used.

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I installed the second set of blades about a month ago. Here in eastern washington wiper blades last a whole year.

OP
OP

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I jinxed myself…. Line burst right at the cowling on the drivers side yesterday. Reset it back to factory sprayer on the hood.
Sponsored