Sponsored

New owner, advice please

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Quality was really good on the Curt hitch I just installed. Not sure if as good as Mopar, but steel gage and corrosion protection looked good.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
@Rufus Did you ever get side steps?
I thought I replied to this, but it seems to have disappeared. Apologies if it comes up twice.

Yes, I ordered the Mopar ones. The configuration tool on the Jeep website actually offers them as an option so I was able to see exactly what my Jeep would look like with them on. I ordered the tubular aluminum ones in black. I also got the stick on door sill guards, they were cheap enough.

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
If you have CarPlay then the iPhone holder isn't going to be as big a deal. Most info you need will be on the dash display. I did notice I still needed someplace to put my phone that wasn't a cup holder, so I got a Savadicar Multi-Function Drink Cup/Phone Holder off Amazon for $25.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCGKMVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It bolts in behind the passenger grab bar and is pretty darn sturdy. It can hold a water bottle or a phone equally well. The phone only has one position (pointed towards the driver), but that doesn't appear to be a problem. When using CarPlay I can have my map on the main screen and this works as a secondary screen to show route information.

Installation is not bad, but it's a little involved. You'll need to get some plastic spudgers and loosen part of the control panel front. Not difficult, just a little weird the first time you do it.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
One more question: for a hitch, should I go to Jeep or aftermarket?
AFTERMARKET.

The Mopar 2” hitch receiver is ridiculously overpriced for what it is.

You can get the Rugged Ridge 2” hitch receiver for a quarter of the price (like I did) and has the same quality and tongue weight rating.

All hitch receivers are easy install also so don’t pay a soul to put it on. The harness isn’t hard either.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFTERMARKET.

The Mopar 2” hitch receiver is ridiculously overpriced for what it is.

You can get the Rugged Ridge 2” hitch receiver for a quarter of the price (like I did) and has the same quality and tongue weight rating.

All hitch receivers are easy install also so don’t pay a soul to put it on. The harness isn’t hard either.
Thanks! Where do I go to get it installed?

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
One more question: for a hitch, should I go to Jeep or aftermarket?
as mentioned, the curt hitches are good. i had one on my 07 jeep grand cherokee. quardratech have some nice hitches to choose from. fyi i did ordered the supernova v4 headlights and fog light from headlight revolution. they should be in friday. i'll post some pics as soon as i can.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update.

I ordered the aluminum black tubular sidesteps (Mopar), $315 shipped. I installed them in about 20 min in my friend’s driveway today and used about 10 cents of Loctite. I cannot believe that my local dealer wanted to charge me 2 hours labor ($378) just to install them, and it probably would have taken them only 15 minutes given that they have lifts and pneumatic tools. @JeepCares, you should be very concerned about dealers like this.

Installed the Mopar door sill guards. They just stick on so that was very easy.

Installed the spare tire cover, again Mopar. I just had to remove the little plastic cover that goes over the backup camera because the spare tire cover has one built in to it.

Installed the Alien Shade. This went as their video showed. The clips for the front took a little feeling around. I did not need to drop the windshield. It fits nicely under the soft top. Also I am slightly over 6 feet tall and my seat is adjusted to about middle height I think and my head comes no where near touching it.

For the first time I actually took the top down (the weather is finally nice enough on a weekend to do all of this here). The soft window removal was interesting. Having a friend helps when putting it back up as one person holding it and the other lining up the channel helps. I suppose with practice I will get good at doing it by myself, but it’s definitely something I will only do when I can enjoy it for a while, as in a good weather forecast all day. I definitely get the appeal of the power top.

I also got my license plates this week. For the front I just drilled pilot holes in the dimples and used the screws that I got from Amazon based on a previous recommendation in this thread.

Future plans include the satin black grill and maybe rubicon takeoff wheels. And definitely a hitch to use for a bicycle carrier, etc.

Lastly, I’m very close to the 1,000 mile mark and am happy with the performance. The steering has a little bit of play, maybe a few degrees, but it’s only when centered and it doesn’t bother me too much. I have not experienced the wandering or surging reported by other owners. I do feel, as has been explored in other threads, that either the gas gauge is not very accurate or there’s a problem with the tank. I’ve noticed that even at 1/4 when I fill it up it takes only around 10 gallons. I would’ve expected it to take at least 12. I just need to decide now when to do that first oil change, which I know has been explored in other threads.

985D9F12-1AFA-47DC-937D-034014C21B39.jpeg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Congratulations on your new JL ! Glad to see you're installing the accessories, DIY is a good part of the Jeep Life, and is fun.. Between the excellent YouTube videos, and your skills, there's very little you can't do. Enjoy !

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
For cell phone mount I used ram mount products . They have a mount for any device you want.
20190627_184352.jpg
I removed the trim screw on grab handle and rethreaded it for a ram 1" ball and used a phone mount.
20190627_184550.jpg

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For cell phone mount I used ram mount products . They have a mount for any device you want.
20190627_184352.jpg
I removed the trim screw on grab handle and rethreaded it for a ram 1" ball and used a phone mount.
20190627_184550.jpg
Does the Ram mount come with a longer replacement bolt?

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Update.

I ordered the aluminum black tubular sidesteps (Mopar), $315 shipped. I installed them in about 20 min in my friend’s driveway today and used about 10 cents of Loctite. I cannot believe that my local dealer wanted to charge me 2 hours labor ($378) just to install them, and it probably would have taken them only 15 minutes given that they have lifts and pneumatic tools. @JeepCares, you should be very concerned about dealers like this.

Installed the Mopar door sill guards. They just stick on so that was very easy.

Installed the spare tire cover, again Mopar. I just had to remove the little plastic cover that goes over the backup camera because the spare tire cover has one built in to it.

Installed the Alien Shade. This went as their video showed. The clips for the front took a little feeling around. I did not need to drop the windshield. It fits nicely under the soft top. Also I am slightly over 6 feet tall and my seat is adjusted to about middle height I think and my head comes no where near touching it.

For the first time I actually took the top down (the weather is finally nice enough on a weekend to do all of this here). The soft window removal was interesting. Having a friend helps when putting it back up as one person holding it and the other lining up the channel helps. I suppose with practice I will get good at doing it by myself, but it’s definitely something I will only do when I can enjoy it for a while, as in a good weather forecast all day. I definitely get the appeal of the power top.

I also got my license plates this week. For the front I just drilled pilot holes in the dimples and used the screws that I got from Amazon based on a previous recommendation in this thread.

Future plans include the satin black grill and maybe rubicon takeoff wheels. And definitely a hitch to use for a bicycle carrier, etc.

Lastly, I’m very close to the 1,000 mile mark and am happy with the performance. The steering has a little bit of play, maybe a few degrees, but it’s only when centered and it doesn’t bother me too much. I have not experienced the wandering or surging reported by other owners. I do feel, as has been explored in other threads, that either the gas gauge is not very accurate or there’s a problem with the tank. I’ve noticed that even at 1/4 when I fill it up it takes only around 10 gallons. I would’ve expected it to take at least 12. I just need to decide now when to do that first oil change, which I know has been explored in other threads.

985D9F12-1AFA-47DC-937D-034014C21B39.jpeg
Nice looking Jeep you have there!
I should be getting mine delivered to the dealership next week.
Sponsored