First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
So my question is. Can you put a winch on a 18 JL 4dr rubicon with plastic front bumper? I've looked on utube, Google and on this forum and the only concrete thing I found was the winch plate. I'm not gonna be hard core wheeling just an emergency item. Thanks for any help and sorry if the has been beaten to death just could not find any info might be an old guy thing lol.
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
You need a winch adapter plate even with the steel bumpers (they run ~$250-$300).

I don't believe that plate will work with the factory plastic outer bumpers though.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
So my question is. Can you put a winch on a 18 JL 4dr rubicon with plastic front bumper? I've looked on utube, Google and on this forum and the only concrete thing I found was the winch plate. I'm not gonna be hard core wheeling just an emergency item. Thanks for any help and sorry if the has been beaten to death just could not find any info might be an old guy thing lol.
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

That's one of the only options I've seen that's bolt on, though I've seen some custom fabrications people on here have done in the past to recess in the plastic bumper but I'm not sure what all went into it

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Yes, I'd get an aftermarket bumper with integral winch plate. Lots of options based on your budget and tastes. Less headache, too.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I considered that route for a long time with my XJs. Warn even makes a 2" receiver mounting plate. Nice that you can then protect the winch inside the vehicle when not in use, and use either way depending on how you get stuck or need to assist someone else.

Matt's Off-Road Recovery uses a portable winch on 2" receiver with the Banana XJ (reluctantly).

The hitches are often rated much lower than the winch capacity though, so beware of that.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
Someone actually mounted one on the stock plastic bumper. It was real recent too. It was part of a budget build. I’ll look and see if I can find that thread.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I put a winch in a plastic bumper on a JK. I bought a generic winch plate from harbor freight and welded it in. Then I spaced the roller fairlead out with 1” black iron pipe. It took me two days with a welder, torch, and porta band. It turned out great and was strong too. The best part was that I didn’t have a heavy bumper. Fun project.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Bumper I wanted was on backorder. Took less than an hour to remove the plastic bumper. Couple of afternoons welding some 3" angle, drilling a few holes and slapping on some bedliner for paint and I saved $500.
Jeep Wrangler JL New guy question 20210512_135758
Sponsored